HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Progression Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Klarance

Klarance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis Mo

Posted March 15 2014 - 09:31 PM

I'm a new player so please bear with me.

Mech levels give you unlocks as far as alt. weapons, and cosmetic pieces, but the levels do not actually have any gameplay or statistical effect on the mech.

for example: Level 3 Assault opens up the ability to equip some cosmetic piece. But it has no bearing on accuracy, mech speed, armor, or anything else for that matter.

Eventually you unlock alternate weapon selections, but they are strictly a matter of taste, (do you like the Submachine gun or the Vulcan_ that sort of thing.)

All internals and equipment etc are unlocked by pilot level. Those have actual "Gameplay" effects. A turret, extra protection while boosting around, limited regeneration etc.  Those items can be purchased for a specific mech, once unlocked by pilot level, but they don't go into a general inventory. You have to buy each piece of kit for each individual mech.

Do I have it sorted_

In short, Pilot level is important to game play, mech level is for "frills"

Klarance

#2 Zdragow

Zdragow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationDrowning in energy drinks

Posted March 15 2014 - 09:36 PM

Correct. You've got it down right.

I'm so glad that you're one of the few new players to actually understand perfectly.

#3 Klarance

Klarance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis Mo

Posted March 15 2014 - 09:52 PM

That's good news, I was trying to figure out if i need to focus on a particular mech or if it is completely viable to just play them as i go based on feel and there is no mathematical experience penalty for not focusing.

Cool. I'll just play it by ear and not sweat it.

#4 BlueMelon987

BlueMelon987

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia,Singapore

Posted March 15 2014 - 09:57 PM

have always wished they brought back tuning into game allowing you to customize your mech's stats and since this tread is about leveling up i would suggest you earn points for tuning from leveling up the mech
Posted Image

#5 forivall

forivall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 01:37 PM

I guess the "levels" on this page are defunct then_ http://hawkenwiki.com/wiki/Ability -- I've only played since the steam "you don't need to buy a bundle" release, so I've missed out on a lot of the gameplay/customization changes.

#6 Klarance

Klarance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis Mo

Posted March 31 2014 - 06:56 AM

Yeah, i mean the basic description of the ability is solid but I don't think the level specific bonus's apply. I'm still pretty green though so maybe some one with more experience can clarify. I think this kind of progression was removed before the "Steam" thing happened.

Klarance

#7 Sorroritas

Sorroritas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dimmamar

Posted March 31 2014 - 07:03 AM

View Postforivall, on March 29 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

I guess the "levels" on this page are defunct then_ http://hawkenwiki.com/wiki/Ability

Correct.
You can't upgrade your ability alongside mech levels anymore.
It was removed like the tuning points, to even out the field among pilot/mech levels.
I am the Hammer, I am the point of His spear, I am the mail about His fist.
I am the bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous.
I am the end.

#8 Klarance

Klarance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis Mo

Posted March 31 2014 - 07:09 AM

I view this as a luxury honestly.

If i had been here since Launch or beta maybe I'd feel different.

I don't want to play head to head against people who's mechs have an advantage. Skill_ Sure, if you can best me based on skill than I tip my cap. But losing because some one else's mech is simply better is a drag.

Klarance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users