HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Which of these mechs should I buy first_

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: What mech should I buy first_ (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What mech should I buy first_

1. Bruiser (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

2. Sharpshooter (2 votes [10.53%])

3. Assault (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

4. Technician (4 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

5. Raider (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

6. Grenadier (2 votes [10.53%])

7. Other (2 votes [10.53%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Matymatymaty

Matymatymaty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 10:51 AM

So I have started playing Hawken and I've almost reached the 12816 HC required to buy any Mech (missing about 300 HC).

Since earning HC isn't VERY fast, I want to know what the community thinks about these mechs before I buy one.

Remind that I'm not a veteran at this game, so if a mech required alot of skill and such I might not really do well.

Currently using the Bruiser as it's on Trial. I'm doing pretty well with it most of the time, getting MVP quite often. I love the fact that I can win 1v1's in this thing, or jup onto the AA in siege and mow down multiple enemies.

I'm intrested in buying a Sharpshooter, don't know if that's hard to use or not very good.

#2 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted March 17 2014 - 11:04 AM

In the current meta I suggest either Berserker or Bruiser, or any kind of Sustained dmg type mech. Because no weapon spread, perfectly for beginners who are about to learn the game :)

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#3 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 11:17 AM

First of all, you haven't told us enough about your playstyle.  The mechs are fairly balanced, so what matters is how you like to play.

Secondly, based on that little bit of bruiser experience, bruiser is of course an obvious pick, but I recommend looking at vanguard too.  The weapons have shorter range, but you would be much better at charging in, and vanguard is a pretty tough mech.

As for sharpshooter, it's certainly good at what it does.  You can hit someone pretty hard from way outside of normal weapons range, especially with the damage boost ability.  It's pretty easy to use too, mostly just point and click until someone gets too close.  Then you need to learn to duel with it a little, but it's hardly the hardest mech in the roster.

Edited by WarlordZ, March 17 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#4 Matymatymaty

Matymatymaty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 12:28 PM

I like to stay mobile and dodge alot (thus, I don't want to try a heavy atm).
I usually try to get close to the enemy and then skirmish with the enemy.

#5 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 17 2014 - 01:13 PM

Then a mech for you would have to be an A-class!  (Preferably a Scout or an Infiltrator since they do both those things and you have to dodge a lot since they don't have much armor.)

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, March 17 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#6 DirtyDaigo

DirtyDaigo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 09:30 AM

Beserker sounds like a good fit for what you like, athought it is an A class mech.

Maybe you should just stick with the bruiser then, you already know you like it, Raider would be a second choice (it is on trial now I think) so why not give that a try_

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

#7 UrKungFuNoGood

UrKungFuNoGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationJust Another Lost Angyal

Posted March 20 2014 - 01:28 PM

I just test drove the Raider and that will probably be the one I like the most out of the three I currently own.
Recruit
Rocketeer
Sharpshooter
I like to get in the thick of it and Raider with compressor is pretty powerful. Get up close to the person you're fighting and air dodge the fuzzy bunny out of them. Jump, turn, dodge and you land right behind them. By the time they turn around you are ready to do it again. With the damage that the flak does up close, it's brutal. Five or six shots and then the secondary finishes any medium or light.
Also if you pay attention to the direction they spin, you can even put yourself further than 180 of their favorite direction increasing your advantage.
I feel like Neo with the Raider... :)
Posted Image

#8 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted April 05 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostMatymatymaty, on March 17 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

I like to stay mobile and dodge alot (thus, I don't want to try a heavy atm).
I usually try to get close to the enemy and then skirmish with the enemy.

I would definatley suggest reaper (even though its not on your list) because its an excellent skirmisher and its also cheap, which would allow you to outfit it with interals immediatley after you buy it, giving you more of an edge. Once you rank up to rank 3 with it you can get the Hawkins-RPR which is great for skirmishing, and with the RPR and the KE-Sabot you can also do some mid-range sniping. Its also got great mobility with one of the highest armors in the light mechs (350) which allows you to hold out a bit longer against stronger enemies. I have a lot of experience using it as a skirmisher, so I can definatley say its great for that role.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users