HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Opinions of Cosmetic mech designs

Community Game

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 01:21 PM

this thread is very funny. got lots of laughs out of it.
that said. here is what I was taught by my army friend who was in a mech infantry unit.
1.spot the target. 2.check for a uniform(basicly know if they are friendly or hostile) 3. see where they are pointing there gun. 4. if hostile and your squad is ready, line up your shot and observe any extra details, such as if they have any nearby units, and what the unit type is. (mostly by identifying the guns and or other featurs.) and lastly, attacking as a team. how this works in hawken is very simple.
1.spot a mech (any mech) 2.check to see if it has a foe outline (or if your in dm) 3.check where there guns are pointing. 4. check for other hostile mechs near by and come up with a plan of attack. 5. attack. now is that really that hard. especially as the computer does all the hard part for you, marking the mech with brackets and using color coding, even showing what the mechs class is above there brackets. so all you have to do is spot them, read what the computer tells you, plan an attack, then attack. simple. you can thank me later :3

also, be lucky you dont have to worry about an awacs or a combat director, lets just say that relying on a iff system is very difficult and takes longer then ordering a pizza some times.

#42 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 02:24 PM

View Postnokari, on April 03 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

You still don't seem to get it.
I dunno what to tell you, man. Someone says "having to pay to get advantage A is not cool," you say "well you can get advantage B without paying, so it's okay." I'm not sure you're speaking the same language as the rest of us.

Edited by PhasmaFelis, April 04 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#43 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 02:38 PM

I feel like a lot of folks aren't understanding the argument. Yes, you can always tell a mech's real identity by looking at its weapons, or its icon, or cross-checking the player name with the scoreboard. Nobody's going to stand there going "HOW IS THAT RAIDER HITTING ME FROM ACROSS THE MAP, I DON'T UNDERSTAND, REALITY IS BROKEN" while a modified Sharpshooter picks them apart.

The thing is, in combat, you have to make split-second decisions. If I'm in a firefight and I spot an enemy Sharpshooter halfway across the map in the corner of my eye, I'm gonna try to get some cover between us. If I see a Raider instead, I'll either ignore it, or finish up my current fight and get to a position with some open space where I can land some hits as it rushes in. If that Raider is actually a Sharpshooter, it's gonna get a free shot on me that could very well be decisive.

Of course, I could also say "now let's not be hasty, look at its arms, put a crosshair on it and check the icon." And then, while I'm doing that, either the faux-Raider snipes me while I'm squinting at him, or the guy I was dueling with blows me away because I wasn't paying attention.

Now you're about to say "that's not an advantage, you just need to get some skills and learn to read mechs faster." Anything that requires opponents to get additional skills is an advantage, by definition. What you mean to say is that you don't think it's a big enough advantage to matter. And that's fine. I'm inclined to agree. But saying the advantage doesn't exist is silly.

#44 panickypress

panickypress

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationInside

Posted April 04 2014 - 03:30 PM

I have spend a lot of money on custom parts for my mechs, but i found that its almost allways the same parts (cockpit & paint) that i choose for the different classes.. All my A class look the same and so does my B's and my C's. I would love to see some more diversification in the mechs running around on the battlefield.. More flower power paintjobs for all classes on the cockpit, and individual paints for the different parts and weapons and add the ability to remove hoses, plates, add plates or even bumberstickers (bomb if your horny... whatever), have your holoemote custompainted on the back of your mech!.. just do an effort to spice up the grayness of the battlefield.. The one good option in cockpit paintjobs gets old after you bought it once.
I want to spend money on paints like the "Boot Soldier"  for the A class but not on all of them and theres no alternative... GIVE ME COLOR!!!

#45 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 04 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostPhasmaFelis, on April 04 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

I feel like a lot of folks aren't understanding the argument. Yes, you can always tell a mech's real identity by looking at its weapons, or its icon, or cross-checking the player name with the scoreboard. Nobody's going to stand there going "HOW IS THAT RAIDER HITTING ME FROM ACROSS THE MAP, I DON'T UNDERSTAND, REALITY IS BROKEN" while a modified Sharpshooter picks them apart.

What you mean to say is that you don't think it's a big enough advantage to matter. And that's fine. I'm inclined to agree. But saying the advantage doesn't exist is silly.

So, you don't bother to take cover from a Raider's long range grenade launcher_ Okay, okay.  That was being overly literal, but leads into my mindset.  

It doesn't matter what people are dressed like, every mech in the game has some form of long range capability.  The most Dangerous Predator I've run into was killing our team with an EOC... From halfway across Origin.  People were ignoring him because "Oh, he's a Predator", but you just know if he was dressed funny people would blame that as "The only reason this cheating jerk is beating me, I swear!"

The reason people are dismissing that anything is even slightly wrong is not because of any advantages that may or may not exist because of dressing funny.  They are ignoring it because the general impression such complaints give is "That guy I ignored shot me!  It is not fair if people I ignore shoot me! I'm too tactical to fail! What can I blame that isn't my fault_" Whether or not such an derisive opinion is valid.

Like you said, it's not a big enough "advantage" to matter.  But if people dressing funny is what makes or breaks your play, you should stop spending so much time talking about "Split second decisions", or prying your MMR our of the guts of the game and take a step back.  It is so small that even calling it an advantage makes you look bad.  No matter how much Robots looking like other robots offends me personally for stylistic reasons, if not mechanical reasons.

This isn't a "LOL Get Good" mindset, it's just thinking you are obsessing too much over this, unless you are somehow so good at Haweken that this is literally the only reason people can kill you.  So I see where you are coming from, I just don't agree with it the same way you probably won't agree with me.  At the very least you tend to word your outlook on this better than many.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users