HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Manual ignition sequence on match start up

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Manual mech start up ignition (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to be able to manually start your mech at the begenning of matches_

1. Yes (27 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. No (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

Ability to damage systems. Example ( Weapons systems, Booster systems, radar systems, etc.)

1. Yes (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. No (27 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 8Winterz8

8Winterz8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 07:51 AM

I think it would be nifty and add to the "mech" feel of the game if players had to manually start their mechs at the start of matches. Maybe even adding the ability for damaged systems during combat that would make you have to retreat to wait for the system to come back online. For example, have your weapons system malfunction, hydraulic system, etc. I think that it would give the game more of a mechanized combat feel and less of a FPS feel.

Edited by 8Winterz8, March 21 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#2 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted March 21 2014 - 08:12 AM

From what I've gathered, they've wanted it to be aimed more towards an arena FPS mech game rather than a Mech simulator, like Steel Battalion or MWO. So while it would be cool from a simulator point-of-view (I LOVE the start-up sequence in Steel Battalion), I doubt they will add things that make it more simulator-like in the current game modes we have now. Perhaps one day they might add a new game mode which takes stuff like this into account, but only time will tell.

Posted Image

#3 8Winterz8

8Winterz8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 08:20 AM

It wouldn't need to be anything to elaborate like a full simulation. Just some things that make the game feel more like you are a person inside of a machine, not the machine itself.

#4 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 08:31 AM

Location-based damage has been suggested a million times, and the same conclusion is always reached:  There's so much movement going on (outside of the newbie servers anyway) that actually destroying a body part would be based more on luck than skill, and that being in a hobbled mech wouldn't be fun since not moving enough is almost always fatal.

We are supposed to be getting a cockpit-integrated HUD option like what we had in the old days at some point.  It's probably going to be a while though, I can't imagine it being very high priority, what with new game modes to make and the new player experience needing a lot more information.  That should bring back some of the feeling when they get to it.  *EDIT*  Apparently not.  I guess we're stuck with the floaty bars.

Really, the game used to feel pretty mechanized without that, back when the repair drone and the occasional repair charge were the only ways to heal.  You either found a place to shut down and repair, or you died.  Then came the technician and healing internals, and now we just regenerate without missing a beat.  Mechs shouldn't regenerate.  There's not really a viable alternative in this meta either, so EVERYBODY uses them.

Edited by WarlordZ, March 21 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#5 8Winterz8

8Winterz8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 08:34 AM

I wasn't so much suggesting that players would aim at specific points to damage specific systems, more like during the time you are getting bombarded, there's a chance that the incoming fire would damage a system. Something like that.

#6 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:36 AM

So if you come under sustained fire you just lose control over your weapons_ I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to suggest. You say,

I wasn't so much suggesting that players would aim at specific points to damage specific systems... there's a chance that the incoming fire would damage a system. Something like that
but you kind of contradict yourself right there. There are no 'specific systems' to be damaged in hawken.
Posted Image

#7 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:41 AM

I didn't start playing this game to go through a simulator. And as much as I appreciate the realism of losing control of systems that take damage, a la MechWarrior, I don't want to play MechWarrior. I don't want to be a sitting duck that just wanders the field as a free kill to any noob that happens to walk by. Equal opportunity murder I say.

Posted Image

#8 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostWarlordZ, on March 21 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Location-based damage has been suggested a million times, and the same conclusion is always reached:  There's so much movement going on (outside of the newbie servers anyway) that actually destroying a body part would be based more on luck than skill, and that being in a hobbled mech wouldn't be fun since not moving enough is almost always fatal.

We are supposed to be getting a cockpit-integrated HUD option like what we had in the old days at some point.  It's probably going to be a while though, I can't imagine it being very high priority, what with new game modes to make and the new player experience needing a lot more information.  That should bring back some of the feeling when they get to it.

Really, the game used to feel pretty mechanized without that, back when the repair drone and the occasional repair charge were the only ways to heal.  You either found a place to shut down and repair, or you died.  Then came the technician and healing internals, and now we just regenerate without missing a beat.  Mechs shouldn't regenerate.  There's not really a viable alternative in this meta either, so EVERYBODY uses them.

Last I saw, Hughes said a few weeks ago they aren't making an integrated HUD, either pre-Ascension or something completely new, because it would take at least 4 employees to do it and they just don't have the resources. They're just making crosshairs and some cockpit customizations.

Posted Image

#9 8Winterz8

8Winterz8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 11:03 AM

Last time I checked, world of tanks is not a sim either, but your gun can get damaged, your optics can get damaged, you can get tracked, etc. I'm suggesting a system like that. There's no contradictions in saying, hey it's a machine, a few hundred bullets hitting it may damage some hydraulics or something. Getting some hardcore answers for a suggestion lol

Edited by 8Winterz8, March 21 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#10 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted March 21 2014 - 11:11 AM

View Post8Winterz8, on March 21 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

Last time I checked, world of tanks is not a sim either, but your gun can get damaged, your optics can get damaged, you can get tracked, etc. I'm suggesting a system like that. There's no contradictions in saying, hey it's a machine, a few hundred bullets hitting it may damage some hydraulics or something. Getting some hardcore answers for a suggestion lol

Stuff does get damaged though. Your cockpit screen cracks, there are sparks, you get all kinds of beeping alerts, etc. They remain like that until you repair.
WoT also isn't as fast-paced as Hawken. The reaction times and TTK is quite different, that half a second (damaged mech or not) can be the difference between winning and losing.

Edited by nokari, March 21 2014 - 12:07 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted March 21 2014 - 11:41 AM

View Post8Winterz8, on March 21 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'd argue that WoT is much more of a simulator game than hawken for the exact reasons you outlined, it is more grounded in real-world physics overall. Also WoT is totally different as far as gameplay mechanics go so you can't really draw much of a comparison there. Hawken's gameplay is just too fast, unpredictable and imprecise to allow for location-based damage in a truly fair and even manner. If the mechs were much larger and the game were slowed down to a mechwarrior-level pace sure, it might work, but that's a totally different game altogether.
Posted Image

#12 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted April 01 2014 - 02:00 PM

Personally, I'd like an option to disable the boot sequence.  It was novel the first few times, but now it is just annoying.

#13 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on March 21 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

So if you come under sustained fire you just lose control over your weapons_ I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to suggest. You say,

I wasn't so much suggesting that players would aim at specific points to damage specific systems... there's a chance that the incoming fire would damage a system. Something like that
but you kind of contradict yourself right there. There are no 'specific systems' to be damaged in hawken.

Look at start up ther is ur spesific systems

#14 ASneakyFox

ASneakyFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 09:12 AM

i feel like it would be kind of brutal on class a mechs. they have such little armor that one hit from something like a flak cannon would thne possible throw their guns offline or something.

this sort of thing works good for wot and mwo because theyre more about long range prolonged engagments from behind rocks whackamole stuff. Damaging specific hardware is just their way to try and spruce it up some. hawken doesnt really need that.

#15 LeeHarveyOz

LeeHarveyOz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted August 08 2014 - 10:03 PM

View Post8Winterz8, on March 21 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

adding the ability for damaged systems during combat that would make you have to retreat to wait for the system to come back online.

EMP, ISM, heat, &c.

#16 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 10 2014 - 12:49 AM

No system damages.  Anyone with half a brain will blow up your thrusters and hunt you down.  Not fun

#17 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted August 25 2014 - 11:41 AM

I will leave HAWKEN if they bring in system damage! Someone shoots down your legs and you are a sitting duck! Nope that is not my thing. I don't want to see anything like Robocraft in this game.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users