HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Gameplay speed - slow things down!

Game Forum Update

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Twilit_Sparkle

Twilit_Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 05:47 PM

This game is getting too much like COD.  I miss the mechs with health in the 700's of health that required a specific strategy to beat.  Now the mechs are more like loadouts in a standard FPS.  It really just boils down to who has better reflexes, instead of who has the better strategy or is more skillful.

I also miss the grimy-feeling game.  All the visual tweaks to the HUD and world make the game have much less personality as it used to.  The floating HUD makes me sad.  I miss the old dashboard layout that had all your stats displayed on physical objects.  It lent the mechs much more physical presence and made the player feel more grounded in the fantasy of being a mech pilot.  I think HAWKEN would benefit greatly from going back to its roots as a strategic FPS with a dirty, cobbled together personality.

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 23 2014 - 05:56 PM

Slow =/= Strategy
Fast =/= Thoughtless

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted March 23 2014 - 06:02 PM

I would say it's not like CoD.  Hawken has side-dodging, does CoD have it_ Does Hawken have a near instant TTK like CoD_ Does Hawken have headshots like CoD_ Does CoD have a turn rate cap like Hawken_ Does CoD have flying_ Does CoD have heat management_ Does CoD have... and the list goes on.  I would daresay Hawken isn't like CoD at all.

OH WAIT IT IS, THE TWO GAMES BOTH HAVE GUNS, MUST BE THE SAME. /sarcasm

It does not boil down to who has better reflexes. The game has actually gotten progressively slower, this iteration of Hawken is the slowest it's ever been, I believe.  Positioning and skill are still very important to the game, anybody who tells you otherwise, well, not true I'd say.  In fact, the game is going to get a speed increase in the next patch.  Remember, slowing the game down doesn't mean it's going to automatically going to get more strategic, and having a fast game doesn't mean it's all twitch related and reflex based.  Not mutually exclusive.

Oh, the old HUD issue.  Listen, it caused a ton of performance issues with a lot of people, including myself.  Once the old HUD was tossed and the new HUD implemented, I got at least 10-20 FPS raises, which is pretty significant in my opinion.  It might have been aesthetically pleasing, but it didn't really present the essential information (HP, fuel) to the player in an easy and clear fashion and like I said, it caused performance issues on many computers.

Edited by Silverfire, March 23 2014 - 06:11 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#4 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 06:12 PM

Enough with the COD argument. There has already been plenty of heated debates over the comparison of the two games, but there are so many differences between the two that the claim is illogical and invalid. Of course all FPS games have their similarities, but COD and Hawken are definitely not that closely related.

In regards to the game-play speed and tactics, what AJK and Silverfire said is right. There is still a large amount of strategy involved to play, and let alone succeed in the game. It does not take lightning fast reflexes to time an A-class dodge correctly so you can slap a TOW in its face while its on cool-down. B and C classes are even easier to hit. I am aware there are other factors to consider besides dodging in this case, but from what I've seen pre and post Steam, people have adapted fairly well to the changes.

As far as the HUD goes, I don't really care, but then again, I have never played with the old one.

Edited by Trych, March 23 2014 - 06:25 PM.

ideas are bad

#5 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted March 23 2014 - 09:17 PM

Becoming like COD is something we wish never happens, basically the game at the current state is sitting between Human Shooters and Mech Shooters, Myself I preferred it as it was before, but it's still feels unique. Tho I'm not sure if it's gonna stay unique for much longer, the dev choices aren't saying so ...

Posted Image

#6 Foraven

Foraven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 10:09 PM

Well, it might be because i'm among the older players who play this game, but fighting A class is incredibly twitchy. Their movements (dodge) are unrealistically fast, the amount of Gs their pilots would take should knock them out... I guess they must have some sort of inertial dampner or something.

#7 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted March 23 2014 - 11:30 PM

View PostTwilit_Sparkle, on March 23 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

This game is getting too much like COD.  I miss the mechs with health in the 700's of health that required a specific strategy to beat.  Now the mechs are more like loadouts in a standard FPS.  It really just boils down to who has better reflexes, instead of who has the better strategy or is more skillful.

You realize that mech movement was faster when they had closer to 700hp, right_  I'm not sure where speed ties into this.  Are you talking about the kill speed (TTK), or movement speeds_  If you're having trouble staying alive, I suggest you look into some neat movement guides like this one.  

View PostTwilit_Sparkle, on March 23 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I also miss the grimy-feeling game.  All the visual tweaks to the HUD and world make the game have much less personality as it used to.  The floating HUD makes me sad.  I miss the old dashboard layout that had all your stats displayed on physical objects.  It lent the mechs much more physical presence and made the player feel more grounded in the fantasy of being a mech pilot.  I think HAWKEN would benefit greatly from going back to its roots as a strategic FPS with a dirty, cobbled together personality.

I, too, miss the grimy feel of the game.  I really wish they'd modify the atmosphere, but that's not a high priority at this time.   Elements from the old HUD are rumored to be returning to the game with the next update.  I'm looking forward to the March patch, and will probably be streaming Hawken regularly once it hits.

Edited by Xacius, March 23 2014 - 11:41 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#8 RunaPanda

RunaPanda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationTrolling you where ever you go :3

Posted March 24 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostXacius, on March 23 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

I, too, miss the grimy feel of the game.  I really wish they'd modify the atmosphere, but that's not a high priority at this time.   Elements from the old HUD are rumored to be returning to the game with the next update.  I'm looking forward to the March patch, and will probably be streaming Hawken regularly once it hits.
Hopefully the floating bars are going away, they feel so out of place. Some new PhysX things to add to the grimy feeling would be a nice addition.
Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz| DDR4  3200 @ CAS 14|SLIed Quad GTX 980|Kingspec 1TB PCIe SSD/ 4x 3TB HDDs|Logitech G502 Proteus Core|Razer DeathStalker Ultimate|Occulus Rift|3xAsus ROG Swift PG278Q|Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus|Wrapped up in a sexy Corsair Obsidian 900D w/ Custom Laser etching

#9 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 04:28 PM

Been a while since we had a COD comparison guys,.. I think we making progress lol.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#10 SnookayDcc

SnookayDcc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:23 PM

someone show a picture of this "grimeyness' that people keep typing about.

This game is nothing like COD. It's nothing like BF4. It's just a mech shooter. If things are too fast you need to take a step backwards...

#11 Niceguydan8

Niceguydan8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 09:37 PM

If anything it feels more like Halo. Your typical CoD TTK is incredibly short compared to even the current Hawken TTK.

#12 RedRumOnE

RedRumOnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Location[Doing battle.]: Learning great truths.

Posted March 24 2014 - 10:12 PM

http://www.twitch.tv/red_rum_one

Posted Image

We want what we can't have and will work till we fail to get it. Only then will we learn, overcome, and conquer because it takes a million folleys to make a masterpiece.

#13 Faruq

Faruq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 12:24 PM

I think its a good change of pace from slow mech games.  The burst of speed to get in or out is part of the strategy.  It's not less strategy, its just different.  If this game were to slow down, I would just put it back in the ignore pile along with all of the other simulation games.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, Forum, Update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users