HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Map Design Issues

Game

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Window

Window

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hello, I have just recently started playing Hawken (12 hours clocked at time of writing) and have been enjoying the game quite a lot so far, but the current maps have some issues need some considerable tweeking.

Nevermind the actual map layouts, the layouts themselves are solid, the greatest issue I have with the maps as they are now is the lack of notable structures for reference on a lot of the maps.

Let me explain.

Were you ever playing with some friends or teammates and simply couldn't describe to them what you wanted_  Such as calling out, "There's three enemies hiding behind that building!", and your teammate responds, "Which building_", but there's no details you can use to narrow it down.  The buildings all look so similar.  This is a big problem I have been having with a lot of Hawkens' maps.

Let's take for example- Counter Strike.  Nearly every location on every map has either a notable feature or description, such as the balcony, the fountain, the alleyway, etc.  These areas are designed to be so obviously labelled because quick and precise communication is paramount to coordinating with your team.  Using directional coordination can only go so far and without proper north-south-east-west markers or a static minimap it makes doing so difficult.

Lets use a Hawken map with some decent detail as an example. Facility.
http://www.playhawke...e/maps/facility
   There's the 3 Silos, the Centre, the Apex, the Pit, the Rock-Arches, and the Interior.  There are still many  locations that don't have a "label".  The east and west of S2 and north and south of S1 and S3 (referring to the map linked above).
   Now Facility has a pretty good set of locations, as do maps like Last Eco and Front Line (still not enough), but a lot of the maps do not, look at Origin.  The map is downright frustrating to try to pinpoint locales, there is such a multitude of small details everywhere that nothing that would be noticable on its own stands out.

A lot of people may have labels for all of the locations I'm talking about, well thats fine, but they aren't obvious to everyone. A location should be describable at a glance or have an official designation.  Adding slight tints of colour to areas isn't going to cut it, they need NAMES, even if the name is "blue rock".

-Possible Solution-
   The easiest solution I can come up with, is to add more functionality to the minimap.  Divide the map into discernable sections, and label all of them with short, easy to remember names.  Then, have the name of the area your mech currently resides in, displayed above/below the minimap.  Players will then slowly learn the map locations, making calling out locations easier.

I think highly of Hawken so far, especially in comparison to many other free-to-play titles, but nevertheless I think Hawken really needs refinement in this area. Please let me know what you think.

#2 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted March 24 2014 - 10:34 AM

Well I had the same problem when I started play Hawken but sooner or later I learned the structure of the map and where every  singel detail is. I can draw you a picture of every map if you want.
It's just a question of time until you don't mind these litte missing 'labels'.

As Team HWK said they do not have that much resoruces, I think they would, if even, implement or think about that in like 6 months. Because right now they have priorities.

I like your idea, but I think it won't be implemented so fast.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#3 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 11:13 AM

The "Enemy Sighted" button is a big help for calling out enemies. Thought I'd point that out just in case you didn't know already.
"Help Requested" can also sometimes help get your teammates together if they are spread out. That is, of course, if they listen.

If you want your team to go to a specific point on the map, to group up perhaps, then you have an issue and I can see what you are saying.

ideas are bad

#4 Window

Window

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 12:02 PM

I agree that this probably wont make any priority list, but Is kind-of a peeve for me to not to be able to give/recieve detailed information for coordination purposes without my team or myself spamming "Enemy Sighted" every five seconds (Spotting at least makes up for some lack of map detail)

#5 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted March 24 2014 - 05:09 PM

There is an alternative solution when the big map feature comes back grid it and call it down by coordinates! Process seems to work for real maps and when calling something  in real life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users