HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Vanguard vs. Brawler: what should I get_

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Vanguard vs. Brawler: what should I get_ (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one_

1. Vanguard (30 votes [48.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.39%

2. Brawler (8 votes [12.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

3. Incinerator (13 votes [20.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.97%

4. I just like to vote (11 votes [17.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 07:19 PM

I've currently got a Recruit and a Reaper, so I'm thinking a heavy for my next buy. I've already got a long-range mech, and I'm not very good at getting REV-GL grenades on target, so that leaves me either the Vanguard or the Brawler. What would you recommend and why_

Edit: I dunno why I forgot the Incinerator. I guess it still seems new and weird.

Edited by PhasmaFelis, March 27 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#2 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 26 2014 - 07:25 PM

Vanguard because the turret mode for it is more useful than the other ones, GL is a great weapon, and it's pretty fast.

#3 Simp

Simp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 07:43 PM

I'd say Vanguard is objectively better than brawler in most cases.
Peek-a-BOOM

#4 Zycat

Zycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 09:45 PM

Vanguard vs Brawler_ Vanguard, no contest. Does ALL things Brawler can do better.

Point defense_ Vanguard lasts longer in turret mode than Brawler because of higher damage reduction.
Close range_ SMG is no slouch, and Prestige vulcan is great too.
Long range_ You are much, much, faster than a Brawler can ever hope. Close the gap, fire faster.

#5 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:29 PM

You said you player CRT right _ Well based on this, vanguard will allow you a smooth shift between the classes. And you'll mostly get the hang of the berzerker easily too. In my mind ...

Posted Image

#6 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 08:43 AM

Huh, interesting. I had gotten the impression that lots of folks liked the Brawler but were iffy on the Vanguard. Looks like I was backwards. No love for the Incinerator, even_

#7 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 27 2014 - 08:46 AM

Incinerator is an LMG Gunner, supressing fire and sustained damage.
Lacking in close quarters damage unless using PPA (that isn't easy to use).
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#8 Doga45

Doga45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 09:26 AM

I suggest vanguard because it will help you at shorter maps and good chokepoints.

#9 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 09:42 AM

Vanguard is so OP with mini-flak trust me. You will beat any brawler with it if piloted right.
Of course you just got to avoid the burst of the brawlers flak when used with cover okay.

But I do like the vanguard and the incinerator for sure, brawler_ Not so much right now.
I will have to check it out after this patch to see what has happened to it tbh. Good luck!

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#10 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 27 2014 - 09:54 AM

Brawler feels much better after the patch, can actually get around now instead of slowly waddling.

After the speed boost patch, Brawler plays like a heavy Scout, and Vanguard plays like an Assault.

Edited by Stingz, March 31 2014 - 05:26 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#11 Velimirius

Velimirius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMontenegro, EU

Posted March 28 2014 - 12:26 AM

Brawler before the patch <3
Brawler after the patch <3<3<3

#12 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 09:48 AM

I have yet to lose a fight against a Vanguard, but it might be because they are really rare. The problem is that the grenade is not that ideal against targets with the high ground. When I fought Vanguards, the armor made the ultimate difference.

#13 timestandstill

timestandstill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted March 29 2014 - 05:32 AM

I prefer the Vanguard, given the choice between the two.  The SMC is just a decent weapon all around, though I've had some success on certain maps with the Vulcan.  The GL is awesome.  Hands down my favorite weapon in the game on versatility alone.  Add in that the Vanguard is pretty quick on it's feet for a C class and you've got a winner for me.  Probably my favorite mech in the game right now.

#14 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 02:43 AM

even with the tiny boost in relative speed the Brawler is still a poor choice when set alongside the Vanguard and the Incenerator
it also keeps getting nerfed because the Scout is too strong in pug play

the slowest mech in the game, with the shortest ranged weapon*, and probably the weakest ability, will always be the most reliant on good team cohesion, and for 95% of players reliably getting onto a good team is almost as rare as finding Pope sh_t

* a weapon that as of the last patch now has fewer, if not no outstanding characteristics

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#15 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 08:59 AM

Vanguard is essentially a fatter nade launching assault. Brawler is and continues to be the best cqc c-mech assuming you know how to use the flak. Most people find the vanguard better for it's easier and faster play, but ill choose a brawler anyday

#16 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 12:28 PM

In terms of skill to use effectively, I saw that it goes (from least required to most required) Vangaurd, Incinerator, Brawler

Don't get me wrong, it's still difficult to play any Class-C without a good team that helps you help them, but:

The Vangaurd is the most mobile, has the most versatile weapons, and still has good damage output as close to medium range, and therefore takes the least skill of these three to pilot effectively. Mastering it is also probably easier, but with its reduced HP, it is not quite the damage soak if not in tank mode.

Incinerator is the most support-y of these three, but also perversely has the highest DPS if using PPA effectively, at least at CQB. Ability is garbage tier, but eh, the game does not FORCE you to use it. Also is only 0.3~ m/s slower than the Vangaurd in terms of walk and boost speed. I am personally a huge fan of the Incinerator (favorite in-game mech right now).

Brawler is the big fat kid everyone makes fun of until he sits on them. Problem is, he's slow and a big target. The ability is only ok, could do with a slight increase in either the damage reduction or repair rate. I only drove it during the test drive, and found it... lacking. Though two-shotting scouts with the flak/TOW combo was INCREDIBLY satisfying.

TL;DR  all three are good in the right hands, and have different roles. Vangaurd = generalist/assaulter, Incinerator = siege/support, Brawler = CQB point defense/tech-less sustained damage soak

#17 Wizrad

Wizrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Location42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

Posted March 31 2014 - 03:48 PM

Glad I came here and read all this before throwing HC away.
If you shoot fast and miss, you can't miss fast enough.

#18 Dr_Vodka

Dr_Vodka

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 06:06 PM

Sorry if I'm necromancing this thread.. Anyways, I have played with both and was happy with my Manguard's speed and firepower until I got a Brawler.

The Brawler is a BEAST! I love the extra health and ability. Equip the Hawkins and you can engage short and long distance targets.

I honestly wish I hadn't bought the Vanguard =(

Just my 2 cents.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users