HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Light Mech "Circle of Death"

Game

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Benrefle

Benrefle

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 11:00 PM

(Don't know whether anything simular has been posted or not, so just posting it as a little guide)

Inagine you are driving a nice little reaper in Bazzar, finding some target to shoot with. Suddenly a brawler turned up in front of you, in turret mode and gun blazing at you.
What will you do_
Engage head to head_ Your reaper will be ripped apart by the TOW
while your Sabot bounce off his shield.
Run away_ You might escape, or you might blown up after a nice aimmed barrage of TOW and SA Hawkin.....
My solution: The Circle of Death
The tactic is simple. As heavy mech are slow to turn around, especially in turret mode, so why don't shoot them by the side, while they have a hard time aimming at you_
Dode to one side, then shoot at your target at the the brief moment between each dodge. Dodge, shoot. Dodge, shoot. Keep  do that until you have dodge yourself to the back of the  target. Then keep on firing, dodge to keep you gun aimming at his back, until he was ripped to pieces.
This tactic work best with light mech that have good mid range weapon (reaper, berserker,infiltrator). Scout abd technician can also perform this tactic well, but might get blown into piece if they're facing a heated-up incinerator that use heat dspersion!(I have blown up a few light mech that dicided to get close n personal with heat dispersion before)
If you have hit an wall using the tactic, just reverse the direction of your dodging(i.e.:if you are dodging left, dodge right and vice versa).This might expose you for a few second of enemy fire, but is still better than getting ripped apart when you are stopped by the wall.
This tactic is only suitable against heavy mech especially in turret mode( shoot them in the back when they are in turret mode deal more damage) as medium mech has the turning rate to outcircle you and blast you into piece.

So this is my guide. Feel free to comment and imporve it.Good hunting

#2 Simp

Simp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 11:36 PM

This would be viable if not for the fact that you'll have rarely have enough room for to pull it off. Maybe in bazaar or bunker, but otherwise the heavy will get his butt behind some cover and get you in his sights. Besides, if a heavy pops up in turret mode there's so many better ways to kill it. Normally they turret up when they're sure nothing can get behind them, so you'll not get a chance to do this often.
Peek-a-BOOM

#3 Nosmer

Nosmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 04:05 AM

I believe it's called agressive flanking :)
I personally found pretty useful on infi to turn on cloak and then dodge to the side of the enemy. If they turn around - dodge more. Since you're neither in their line of sight, nor on radar - they can't spot you and you can either escape or get ready for bursting your enemy down.

#4 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 05:54 AM

A turreted Brawler_

Hover, shoot it roughly on the back, enjoy the uber damage, while it can barely touch you.

Brawlers should never turret, unless they are in distress and want to repair without giving up ALL their defenses.

#5 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 29 2014 - 05:57 AM

View Postredslion, on March 29 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

A turreted Brawler_

Hover, shoot it roughly on the back, enjoy the uber damage, while it can barely touch you.

Brawlers should never turret, unless they are in distress and want to repair without giving up ALL their defenses.

Holding AA on siege with cover to hide behind is a good reason, lets you heal in combat without giving up radar.
Also a quick repair for small amounts of hp.

Edited by Stingz, March 29 2014 - 05:58 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#6 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostStingz, on March 29 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

View Postredslion, on March 29 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

A turreted Brawler_

Holding AA on siege with cover to hide behind is a good reason, lets you heal in combat without giving up radar.
Also a quick repair for small amounts of hp.

Yeah, I thought he was talking about DM/TDM

However, you can still hit its weakspot on the front while hovering.

Edited by redslion, March 29 2014 - 06:35 AM.

#7 Benrefle

Benrefle

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 06:42 AM

Well, I used it on every mode:-)
And actully, hovering are not really usful as you can't dodge in mid-air(except that you got that internal) and you can't do that in indoot.plafe(i.e. the indoor area under aa in frontline)

#8 LeeHarveyOz

LeeHarveyOz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 29 2014 - 07:01 AM

If you're not always attempting to get an angle on your opponent in every 1v1 you're doing A class wrong.

#9 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostBenrefle, on March 29 2014 - 06:42 AM, said:

Well, I used it on every mode:-)
And actully, hovering are not really usful as you can't dodge in mid-air(except that you got that internal) and you can't do that in indoot.plafe(i.e. the indoor area under aa in frontline)

Yes, but you can gain momentum before hovering, and you get out of enemy sight more easily. While dealing increased damage. Win-Win. If you can't fly, you'll probably won't be able to dodge either.

#10 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 09:39 AM

If you can just walk around in a circle around any mech then either he's braindead or has maybe never played an fps in their life.

#11 Simp

Simp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 11:31 AM

One way of getting that sweet booty damage bonus (yes, I just said that) on turreted C classes is to shoot TOWs or Grenades just over them and detonate at the moment that it's right behind them.
Peek-a-BOOM

#12 kerberan

kerberan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostIareDave, on March 31 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

If you can just walk around in a circle around any mech then either he's braindead or has maybe never played an fps in their life.
You don't need to circle around him, just avoid his shots. He can't turn as fast as an A class can dodge. I tried the tactic that OP suggests and it works. If you shoot him in the side you can still kill it but it will take more time. It is always better than dodging left and right in front of him.
Of course this tactic works if you are alone or with an ally. If you are alone and another enemy comes: RUN!

Edited by kerberan, March 31 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#13 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted March 31 2014 - 04:15 PM

what if the heavy turrets on high ground (ie on top of the AA)_ Sure he's open and all, but he's got extra armor and a huge vantage point. then again this is probably only a problem in Origin . . . (the AA is level with every good nest)

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#14 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 31 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostIronClamp, on March 31 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

what if the heavy turrets on high ground (ie on top of the AA)_ Sure he's open and all, but he's got extra armor and a huge vantage point. then again this is probably only a problem in Origin . . . (the AA is level with every good nest)

Still an extremely easy target that will be wrecked by damage over time.
I pull Sharpshooter/Reaper specifically to whack C-Class that stay in the open.

Edited by Stingz, March 31 2014 - 05:02 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#15 LeeHarveyOz

LeeHarveyOz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 31 2014 - 10:51 PM

View PostStingz, on March 31 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

Sharpshooter/Reaper specifically to whack C-Class that stay in the open.

This. 750 armour vs sabot at range. Sabot wins, flawless victory.

#16 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostLeeHarveyOz, on March 31 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

Well, yesterday I managed to kill a SS with TOWs from a distance, with a bit of cover and a bit of zeal from his part.

There is almost no situation where a Brawler can't get into cover from a sniper.

#17 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted April 02 2014 - 05:14 PM

View Postredslion, on April 01 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

View PostLeeHarveyOz, on March 31 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

Well, yesterday I managed to kill a SS with TOWs from a distance, with a bit of cover and a bit of zeal from his part.

There is almost no situation where a Brawler can't get into cover from a sniper.

A sniper who's zealous is also dead in a few seconds.

As a sniper, I feel that I need to tell you, as a C-class pilot, that not all cover is really safe. In some maps, what C-classes think is good cover really exposes either their feet and lower legs (part of the mechs hit box) or their over sized shoulders (also part of the mech's hit box). This is most notable in urban maps, where sideways projecting structures are prevalent.

The detonator also deals splash damage, as any explosive weapon does (no duh), and a C-class hugging a corner will take an explosion full force (its one of the hints that the game gives before a match begins: aim rockets at nearby structures other than at your target mechs.)

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users