HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Some suggestions for matchmaking/balancing

Patch Game

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blood_Jester

Blood_Jester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 07:21 PM

I think matchmaking should always be a priority (for some reason the community priority seems to be some weird jumping/hopping bug I never even knew existed :huh: ). And although I am getting into less games where my team or the other team get completely annihilated e.g. 40-16. It still does happen even when the server is full at the begining of the game and matchmaker is allowed to do it's job. Please note, not all of these have to be implemented and you are welcome to adjust my ideas.

Spectator mode for when a team outnumbers another:
The problem with 5vs6 or 4vs5 game is that it can quickly escalate to a steamroll where the chance of winning for the outnumbered players becomes impossible. Sometimes a new player will quickly even up the numbers but during the more quiet periods this could be until 5 minutes into the game, and chances are once that player sees the score is 30-15, they will simply leave.

Which brings me to the suggestion to have the extra player spectate (with a light delay to prevent cheating). Once someone in his team dies, he is placed in the game while the recently deceased player is now spectating. Once the opposing team has an extra player AND said player is in the game and doesn't leave, then the spectating player can join as normal.

The benefit of this system is that partied players can stay together rather than autobalance forcing them to be split. The bad is that it kinda sucks just watching everyone else have fun and might make the spectating player leave and find another game, making it difficult for the server to fill up

Passive buffs for a losing/outnumbered team:
People complain about players dropping out but really, no one likes to be a mechanized punching bag, what I find is with matches where the scores begin to seperate by a large margin, it creates a snowball effect of a player dropping out, now the team is even more outnumbered and the team just starts losing more and more.

One way to mitigate this is provide a SMALL buff to exp, HC and health/fuel. for example
If a team is outnumbered by 1 player they will recieve a 1% health buff, that goes away as soon as another player joins OR the score is level. This buff increases the more the team is losing.

The buff does not only have to be when a team is down a player, it can start to be applied as the team is losing by more than 6 points (in TDM) and increases the more they lose by. This encourages players to stay rather than abandon a hopeless match.

A third option should be a "spartan bonus" of HC and Exp for still fighting a losing battle at the end of a match, which increases the greater the score margin.

I know some players suggest more penalties should be in place to prevent players from abandoning matches but I find encouragement is far more better than enforcement.

Stop autobalancing once a certain time/score is passed:
There is nothing more frustrating then having to be forced to switch teams in the last 30 seconds of a match, or even worse joining a game just when it's over. It's frustrating for the player, and if multiple people drop out on the losing team in the closing seconds/minutes the match should just be over.

The other option is if someone is forced into the losing team, at the last few minutes/seconds of the game have it still count as a win for them. Autobalance often chooses the player who contributed the most on his/her team to move to the enemy team, therefore it is only fair to count that as a win for the player.

Combo game bonus:

I know matchmaking works best when people stay in for the next round, sometimes that's not an option, we all have things to do, I like to play a game or two inbetween breaks. But for those who decide to stay, give them a bonus HC or exp for staying in the match.

You can even add achievements for staying in consecutive matches

Have class restrictions:
I don't like this idea but it has been suggested before.

I have seen players join a game, see the enemy team is filled with beserkers, scouts and infiltrators and literally say "nope" and leave. Although I don't really agree with this myself, it is an option, to have only a maximum of 3 light or 3 heavy mechs, with B classes being unrestricted to allow new guys to always use the CRT/assault. With a further restriction to specific classes e.g. you can't have more than two players with the same class unless its the CRT

The good thing is is encrouages players to think of team composition, encourages class variety and prevents games where your team has 4 techies (yes that happened to me and yes we lost horribly).

The bad thing is if a new player finally saves enough for a nice shiney new mech, only to realise he can't because a few other players are using it, which can be frustrating. Hence why it is the least favourite of my ideas for matchmaking/balancing. Plus it's never fun to be forced to play a mech you don't like.

Edited by Blood_Jester, April 02 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#2 Zycat

Zycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:22 PM

Would adding one A.I player for the lower player number count team be feasible_ Or maybe those little bots that you fight in Co-Op_ The A.I can be set to follow the top player of the team or just roam and kill anyone. I'd imagine stat-fuzzy bunny would love it too much though since it's easy to kill. Solution_ Don't count A.I kills_

I vote no to anything that boosts the mech's capabilities even for 1%.

Class restrictions, well you need to take account new players. I'd vote NO to any restrictions based on classes unless it's a scrim.

Edited by Zycat, April 02 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#3 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted April 03 2014 - 07:19 AM

Adding AI bots could work.  Heck, some of them play better than players anyways.

#4 Blood_Jester

Blood_Jester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 08:54 PM

Bots may work and having A.I kills not count towards the score would be another good idea. The programming required into their A.I. plus potential bugs may be abit much for such a small development team, but in general the idea is feasible in low-mid tier games.

In higher tiers the bots could end up just being even more of a detriment e.g. blocking off a retreating player, giving away a position when the player is trying to flank, or even exposing a predator by constantly being near him. However with good programming, I rekon adding A.I. bots would definately work.

I know people may not like the idea of passive buffs, but when a team is losing by 20+ points, it is unfair to just expect the poor guys to just continually take a beating. Yes some may respond "they should learn to play" but when matchmaker has done a poor job, there needs to be a failsafe of sorts. When a team starts losing by a wide margin, that's when drop outs occur, that's when autobalance forces players into the losing team at the last minute or breaks up partied players, and yes I know matchmaking works if you stay in a game, but for many, it's far more easier to simply try to find another game, then endure 5 minutes of pummeling in the hope that matchmaking gets it right next time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Patch, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users