HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Siege launching ships w/ AA in enemy hands

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted April 05 2014 - 04:09 AM

I've been playing siege for the daily bonus and it's starting to grow on me.  The tweaks they've done have made it more enjoyable and it feels like there's more push and pull to the games rather than one-sided affairs.  

One game was more one sided till the enemy launched.  We needed like 100 EU but I asked to take AA and launch after we shot down their ship_  There was some disagreement here where others said it would be better to launch our ship to slow down theirs_  I missed some of the chat so we were divided but eventually took over the AA but not before our pristine base had taken 1000 points of damage.  In the end, we still won but I wonder what the new strategy is for when you launch and when you don't_  

Previously if I was collecting energy and saw the other team about to launch I just went to AA, but should I instead deliver it first_
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#2 McBonY

McBonY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 04:51 AM

If enemy has AA secured and ship in the sky, only reason to launch your own ship would be to prevent damage to your base for a while. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not.

But as far as pub "tactics" go, it's usually "fuzzy bunny the tactics, I want my delivery XP" ;]

Edited by McBonY, April 05 2014 - 04:53 AM.

#3 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 05 2014 - 07:53 AM

McBonY, on April 05 2014 - 04:51 AM, said:

If enemy has AA secured and ship in the sky, only reason to launch your own ship would be to prevent damage to your base for a while. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not.

This tends to be why I ever launch when the enemy has both a ship and the AA up, if only like, two enemies are on the AA or we have  just as many people on the AA as they do. Along with "We have freakin 200 health on our base left, and their ship is almost untouched, LAUNCH THAT SUCKER"

That and assuming "The enemy only has two Mechs on the AA, and we've been kicking their robutts so far.  We can take it".  Oh, such innocent naivety.  Expecting that high KDR pair of C classes to do more than take potshots from a distance in turret mode.  No, No, it's fine. the rest of us will just have to deal with the five enemies on point that can shoot us at angles safe from your rockets and grenades, it's cool.  Yes I know you have the highest score in the match, KRD isn't capturing that AA.

Does KDR effect that nebulous MMR more than win/loss_  Because I'm trying to figure out why in the past two weeks since I picked up the game, the higher my pilot level goes the less willing players are to go on the AA, on top of more frequent leavers than when it was newbie 80% Freds vs 80% Freds carnage.

Sure, more people with high scores yelling at the team to go to the AA than low levels.  But the vast majority of those people seem allergic to being inside the capture border themselves.  Sometimes when I've said things like "No problem, I'll head onto the AA as soon as you do" while standing beside them firing bullets and explosives at it (Don't worry brave topfrag C class! My Infiltrator will help you!  Because I'm tired of going onto the AA and dying while you just watch 20 feet outside of the capture zone yelling at me to get the AA), they straight up leave the match.

Edited by SectionZ, April 05 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#4 FirstRaven

FirstRaven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of an A Class mecha- behind you.

Posted April 05 2014 - 08:17 AM

Rule of thumb: Never launch your ship while your enemy has a ship in the air and holds the AA.

Allow enemy ships to run their course.Then, you'll require much less energy, perhaps even one mech load to launch,and your ship won't be pummeled by both the AA and a nearly full enemy ship. It's a waste of EU to launch while an enemy holds the AA/has a ship in the air, which leaves your enemy team in a better position to launch, handing them the advantage as well as prolonging the game, which is also to your enemies advantage (unless it's the very last round).

One Exception: A Hail Mary for a team that has played poorly on your last defense of your base; i.e., you'll lose the game on this round unless you do.This exception only occurs when you've not been able to hold the AA the entire game and you've likely got people shooting at the ship, and quite possibly enemies at your spawning point. At this point, you've lost, unless some really Good players come in (I've seen it happen).

Why can't we hold the AA_

Anticipate launches on both sides.
Pay attention while you're collecting energy to the energy required and
watch your radar for teammates headed back with energy.
200 EU left to go and someones going to the base_ Go to the AA.
Even if it's a Class A carrying 150, the ship will launch on it's own.
200 EU left on both teams and one teammate on radar going to base_ If you have fifty EU, go to the base.
200 EU left on both teams and two teammates on radar going to the base_ Get to the AA.
Enemy has less than 200 and you have more than 500 EU left for launch_ Get to the AA.

Communicate.
When you have the last load of energy, type "AA" in team chat, launch and get to the AA.
See that your team is about to launch_ type "AA" in team chat and get to the AA.
You notice that the enemy is about to launch_ Type "AA" in team chat and get to the AA.
When you see "AA" in team chat, go directly to the AA, regardless of what you're doing.

Take the AA together (one at a time doesn't work).
Check your classes. Is your team running 6 Class A's against a well balanced team_
Switch up to a mech more useful to your team.
Do they have a tech and your team doesn't_ Play Tech.
Have a C and a B or A Class on the AA at all times- even during collection.
The B or A can do harassment of enemies collecting/returning EU if the enemy has no one on the AA.

Prime Directive of Siege: Always hold the AA.
When you hold the AA, you don't ever have to launch while the enemy has a ship in the air.
When you hold the AA, you win.

Edited by FirstRaven, April 05 2014 - 09:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users