HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Teamplay versus independent contribution

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 07:52 PM

My independent contribution to the team's success is easy to judge; I can simply look at the scoreboard and look at my kills, assists, and deaths. And if the score is 35:33 (TDM) and I have 6 kills, 4 deaths, and 9 assists, then my contribution to the team's success is pretty decent. But how good a team player I am is harder to determine. What if that time I ran off to heal and two of my team-mates died, we could have collectively gotten two more kills and one fewer deaths had I stayed_

I have a kd >1 (~1.5) and I'll usually have a positive team contribution (more kills than deaths), yet I lose most of my matches (my team win rate is ~45-47%). A lot of strategy tips focus on how can I be grenadier than everyone else, or how best to kill people from across the map as a sharpshooter, but how can I be a better team player_

#2 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted April 06 2014 - 07:58 PM

Stick to your teammates and help them NOT die. Regardless of your own individual contributions, if you don't actively stick to your teammates and support them, well, it won't always turn out that great.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#3 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted April 06 2014 - 11:13 PM

I made this topic a long time ago to help players become better teammates, all the information is still relevant and viable. I want to update it but I'm pretty fuzzy bunny lazy. Didn't get a ton of attention, I think because most players think they're good teammates because their K/d is good. Hawken has never been like this.

Edited by LoC_TR, April 06 2014 - 11:13 PM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#4 McBonY

McBonY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 11:30 PM

It's a freakin' 6v6 game. Every player counts. It's not battlefield with 32 players per side, where few bad players will be carried by their team. And certainly one good player will not win whole battle. It doesn't matter if you can kill many enemies, if you do it after they already killed your teammates ;]

This is also why it's so funny. A highly competitive game, where teamplay really matters, combined with "matchmaker" that allows uneven teams, in terms of skills, and numbers. Imagine LoL that allows to start a 3v5 game with gold and bronze players together in ranked mode ;]

#5 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 07 2014 - 12:28 AM

Remember kids, this isn't CS/CoD, K/D means bugger all. If you want something to feed the e-pene, you should be considering the damage dealt on killed enemies, which is reflected on your actual scoreboard ranking/score, even that isn't an accurate indication of your contribution.

#6 RoughRide

RoughRide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPatrolling the streets of Illal

Posted April 07 2014 - 07:05 AM

I often use horrible teamplay tactics.

If you don't teamplay well, my advice is, at least do SOMETHING.

For instance, sometimes I get a huge kill spree, but tank it all in one area, and so when enemies come back to get me, it means they get 1 more kill, while at the same instance the rest of my team can engage with superior numbers and effectively wipe out everything.

Or, if you prefer A class to C class, you could secretly move around the place and when the rest of your team gets into a big teamfight, pick off the runners that will inevitably come. Eventually, you would probably find somebody with decent health coming to get you, and that's 1 less person with decent health for your team to fight.

But if you prefer B class over A and C, best to stick with your team unless in something specialized(like the Sharpshooter).

#7 brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostLoC_TR, on April 06 2014 - 11:13 PM, said:

I made this topic a long time ago to help players become better teammates, all the information is still relevant and viable. I want to update it but I'm pretty fuzzy bunny lazy. Didn't get a ton of attention, I think because most players think they're good teammates because their K/d is good. Hawken has never been like this.

Number 8 on your list is a big one for me; I often favour healing pre-emptively to reduce the risk of death over dealing damage and killing enemies.

Edit: Whoops that number was way off -- you didn't even have a number 10! Number 8A was the one I was looking at: "A: Instead of running away from combat, stay with your team, pepper, poke, chip away at the enemy if you must. Every bit of damage helps. If you run, don't be surprised if the enemy hunts you down."

Edited by brackets, April 09 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#8 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 07 2014 - 01:33 PM

If you (or god forbid, you and your duo partner) are Turret mode rocketeers who never set foot on the AA itself, you are not contributing enough. Oh look, we have 4 people on the AA.  That's nice, they have ALL SIX because they aren't hanging back taking potshots, the enemy C classes are actually on the AA.

The only mode where your scoreboard/KDR  is proof you are helping the most is deathmatch.  Killing people won't actually capture the AA or missile silos.  I can understand yelling at people milling around like idiots to help with the AA.  But if you are screaming at people to get to the AA while spending most of your time merely near it trying to pick off kills, you aren't helping matters.

Of course, I may be a bit bitter from my Infiltrator being the only Mech on the AA while PRO KDR players scream at the rest of us to stop being bad and get AA...  Who then disconnect from the match once I convince the rest of the team "Go on the AA when the 1k score player does, we can get it with his help".  I only circle around for a flank on the AA fight if we have a solid group of players already on it and holding it securely.  A quad kill with an ECO launcher doesn't matter if the AA is shooting down your ship while I futz around.

Does KDR effect your MMR more than Win/Loss_  It's the only reason I can think of for all these players who seem to be really, really, really good at Hawken in a piloting sense, being allergic to going on the AA themselves despite screaming about getting the AA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users