HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Radar tutorial (video)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted July 10 2014 - 08:34 PM

I made a short video in the hopes that it will make more people use their radar.  The number of players who don't check their radar is ... very disappointing.  It also has some random thoughts and advice.
My MMR is 2100+, so I'm ... a bit above average, I think_

... And I wish recording didn't affect my framerate so much, because I can't record when the match is more stressful than that one.  It was an unfair, easy match.  Players who already watch their radar will probably find this video boring.

I will continue to record from time to time and I hope I will get better footage.  Sometimes I find situations where the radar is useful but difficult to explain, and those did not happen in this particular match.

Posted Image

#2 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted July 10 2014 - 09:00 PM

Not bad, some good tips there. :)

Posted Image

#3 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted July 10 2014 - 11:43 PM

This is more than just radar tips. Good work!

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#4 Artist

Artist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 01:46 AM

Awesome, we need more videos where players comment on their train of though during battle. Also, Houruck is right, it could be a MA guide as well.

#5 GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 02:11 AM

Good Work Barbie :)

Right, more than Radar Tipps, some good advice, hope people will watch this to train their awareness, some times it's just terrible in a match, If someone get behind your defense line and you have to fight that person alone as a tech, especially Raider/Infiltrator are extremly dangerous in the right hands, can destroy reparing mechs or me with just 1 shot or 2.

Even if i play with the Radar and you can see enemy is approiching from below (Origin) jumping over the Pad to get behind the team, nobody cares, just sad... So i stand there, wating to shoot the enemy, but if a skilled player pops out of that like Otlo/Ker4U/DerMax/Harujima/Hamster_Jelly and so on, iam pretty dead.

So, thank you very much for that video :)

Kind Regards,
Galaxy Radio

#6 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 05:04 AM

How to extend your radar range: (bug since ascention)

Step 1: launch a scout
Step 2: kill yourself
Step 3: whatever mech you select will have the scout's radar range

Screenshots show radar scale of scout and g2 assault, should be different (minimum and maximum actually) radar ranges, but the radar scale and function does not change.

Attached Files

#7 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 07:19 AM

Thanks all!

View PostArtist, on July 11 2014 - 01:46 AM, said:

Awesome, we need more videos where players comment on their train of though during battle. Also, Houruck is right, it could be a MA guide as well.

I very much agree!  I always wish I could have a peek in experienced players' train of thoughts when I learn a new game, yet those videos are always rare.  It would be good to get such videos from more experienced players.

View PostGalaxyRadio, on July 11 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

Even if i play with the Radar and you can see enemy is approiching from below (Origin) jumping over the Pad to get behind the team, nobody cares, just sad...
I get annoyed just imagining that. :(
Another common example for me is when I'm running away from death, and my nearby ally just stands there, so I run into the room and it takes them a while to understand what's going on.  There had been a red dot moving around them for 10 seconds and they never looked at it.

Posted Image

#8 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted July 11 2014 - 07:40 AM

I think you made a BIG MISTAKE!!!   You should have popped your special and run that FRED into the SANDS.......

J/K.....But really you could have Used your Raider's special and it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game.  So  just play to have fun when you know your Team is dominating.

Great video and information for Newbies........

#9 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 07:53 AM

But he was a raider disguised as Fred ...  Very scary.
I agree, it wouldn't have made a difference in this game, but I think it's a good sense of direction to take.
(Also, I play to win, therefore the objectives take precedence over everything else.  That's my idea of fun.  :))

Posted Image

#10 GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostBurnsHot, on July 11 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

I think you made a BIG MISTAKE!!!   You should have popped your special and run that FRED into the SANDS.......

J/K.....But really you could have Used your Raider's special and it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game.  So  just play to have fun when you know your Team is dominating.

Great video and information for Newbies........

Only when the team is dominating, if not, its sometimes a really bad choice. Your'e away for maybe 20seconds, 2 enemy mechs incoming, only 2 teammtes with broken armor on defense = lost in most cases.

Its hard to make the right choice, even if you are a experience player.

@Barbie,

i know what you mean. What makes me angry too is tha fact, that the maps are not big enough. There are so many situations, where you blocking the way of a teammate, even to make a path for him because of another teammate, or enemy and no play to run for.

Another example is, when you play siege and you are going for eu, 2 teammates are done with getting it, 1 not, came from a fight and won, and came to the eu station full of teammtes to repair and get secured (he thought), but then all are running to the base, not waiting for even 10-15seconds and enmy is incoming, shot the teammte into hell.

Most of the problems are selfish play, not only the radar btw. both together.

I will post this thread in our clan forum, maybe some of our beginner can learn a thing from it :)

Kind Regards,
Galaxy Radio

Edited by GalaxyRadio, July 11 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#11 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted July 12 2014 - 07:29 AM

Not my best game ever, I was trying to practice with the eoc repeater.

gg Barbie, nice video.

LOOK MA! I'm famous!

Edited by cornshuckerprime, July 12 2014 - 07:47 AM.

it's always been wankershim

#12 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 10:27 AM

Ha, and yet you were the biggest pain.  :P

Posted Image

#13 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted July 12 2014 - 11:38 AM

That predator that was on your team, he's one of, if not the best predator I've played with.

You two together were just evil.
it's always been wankershim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users