HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hey all, saying hi and also asking for slight help

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 luxebo

luxebo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 07:10 PM

Hey all, so far I've played a couple weeks and enjoying it well. I've already had experience with Mechwarrior Online (for a year up till now), so I'm not completely new to this kind of game, but I was recently recommended this game by friends and so I decided to go for it. Up to now it's really pretty good (UI, graphics, etc), though quite simple (easy to learn and pick up, not harsh learning curve like MWO). Gameplay could use a bit more of strategy and this and that, but nonetheless, still a good game.

I'm in need of a bit of help however; I've grinded the CR-T Recruit pretty long now and the mech is already the second last rank (All Elite parts + that sweet sweet Vulcan!). I'm interested in the Desert Camo, though I'm not sure what that does or has. What is the best loadout choice I should use though_ I'm only level 15, and I use this layout at the moment:
Weapons: Mostly Vulcan and TOW, rarely SMG or AR. Coolshot helps.
Items: Hologram 1, Shield 1, and Repair Charge 1.
Internals: Basic Deflector, Basic Failsafe, Shock Coil, Basic Extractor, Basic Reconstructor, and Basic Power Surger.

Is my loadout fine, or does it need refining and other things_ After the CR-T Recruit, what is the next choice of mech_ I'm looking forward to maybe picking up Reaper, Assault, and Brawler, though I'm not sure. I did look over a bit of Hobbes' Mech Guide, though I'm still unsure of what to pick next (though Fred comes first I guess).

Last thing to ask, how often is this game patched/updated_ I know in MWO it's updated every two weeks, other games like Airmech decently often, and some games take a while to update. This game is quite refined, though it may or may not need more in my opinion. Maybe it's just me though.

Thanks for reading/commenting. :)

#2 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted July 22 2014 - 08:05 PM

Different forums are available here, some with really good "newb" advice, several with subjects similar to what you ask. Wait 'till europe gets home from work today, then NA, and i'm sure several of those with direct links to tutorials and How-To streams will stack up in here!
Or, if you're impatient, put "tutorial" in the forum Search bar.
For infos on Dev updates, etc., see the News & Announcements section. Everyone has opinions, and there you'll find many...:D
Welcome aboard!

Edited by EM1O, July 22 2014 - 08:08 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#3 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted July 22 2014 - 08:20 PM

You're in the early stages of the economy. I wouldn't worry too much about which internals and items you have, so much that you just have them. Many of them are better in combination such as a Air Compressor and Deflectors, same for the items as well. You can do pretty well with a bunch of 1 slots on a CRT. After that I would definitely recommend flipping through some of the mech guides and find one that fits your mentality. Once you've gotten through the basics and have worked up a stash of HC as well as unlocked the levels required for the more expensive items and internals, I would peruse some of these forums on the mech you wish to play and go from there. Items and internals arnt exactly cheap but I understand the temptation of buying a new mech. For now I'd just stick with the CRT and save up your HC until you can afford to deck out a new one to your liking.

You'll also start to get into some higher levels where you'll be introduced to a bigger variety of mechs and how they play, find one that interests you! Tests drives are always an excellent way of sampling internals, weapons, items, and mechs of every kind.

My personal fav internals: deflectors, failsafe, extractor, air compressor, fuel converter

Fav items: EMP, Repair Charge

Fav mech: Raider

Everyone plays differently, one thing we all have in common is that we play to the strengths of our mech and the loadout. Or at least we try to.

Edit: The last update we had was maybe... a month ago_ something like that. Anyways they are in the process of server migration so content and balance updates seem to be suspended for now. Before the migration we had a minor patch every ~2-4 weeks and a major patch every ~2 months. The transition to steam was the last big patch.

ps.. I think its around 40-50k HC to outfit a mech completely.

Edited by LoC_TR, July 22 2014 - 08:34 PM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#4 luxebo

luxebo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 09:15 PM

I see, thanks for the help guys. Hopefully later on I'll be able to find which mech I'd prefer and such. Looks like HC is difficult to come by, but it's alright, that's meant to be grinded for anyway. :) I'll be sure to look around the forums and such in order to find more info of stuff.

#5 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 10:05 PM

FWIW, here's my setup for Siege and Missile Assault (never sell your Fred short: moderately fast, good armor, and firepower):

Posted Image
Hmmmm...in retrospect, maybe I've been ridin' the Reaper a bit too much over the months...ya think_ :D

Edited by EM1O, July 22 2014 - 10:19 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#6 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted July 23 2014 - 01:54 AM

My advice; to get the best out of HAWKEN, buy a lot of mechs first, and then worry about loadouts. Playing different mechs make you a better player, using items and internals are not the important part.

Playing different mechs make you a versatile player, and allow for more fun, it will also keep you interested in the game. Instead of buying , say 2 items and 2 internals, buy a mech. When you have say 5-7 mechs, then you should focus on buying extra stuff for them. Just my opinion.

Posted Image

#7 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted July 23 2014 - 05:13 AM

My choice of weapon on CRT really matters on my mood, they're pretty interchangeable(I find myself using the Vulcan more often though).
As for items, I go with the Shield and EMP combo, its a strong combo that I've used seance I started playing.

#8 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 06:09 AM

Yup. What Elite sed. Just don't load up the garage. Get a mech that represents the general aspects of each category (see Which Mech link below for S9's in depth shopping guide) or characteristic. As you can see by my pic above, I discovered I liked some much more than others. This garage represents ~100 hrs of play, since Dec2012. I have a couple other smurf accounts that are much fatter than this one...about 300 hrs more combined. Coboxite's selection including the EMP (or Detonator) is very good for busting up deathballs in any map, but popping Shields over an AA Deathball (holding the button down to charge it will shoot it farther across the map) prevents them from being able to shoot you as your team pushes across the Kill Zone and will force them to come out to get you off the top. The EMP or Det is the coup de gras.
Just sayin'  :)

Edited by EM1O, July 23 2014 - 06:12 AM.

Posted Image

#9 luxebo

luxebo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 02:27 PM

Is there a limit on mech space_ (like in MWO there is a limit of 4 total mechbays for one to place mechs and then it's either master a mech then sell, make more accounts, or buy mechbays for around a buck per slot.) Or is buying mechs as many as one wants_

I guess I should also write down a bit of info on all those trial mechs I tested alongside ol' Fred and it's guns. I used from the first week Rocketeer, Reaper, and Predator, then second week Sharpshooter, Scout, and Grenadier, and third week (now) Brawler, Raider, and Berserker.

At the moment definitely my favorite mech up for trial is the Raider. Reminds me a ton of Assassin's Creed and that kind of playstyle, and it's neat with a TOW-like missile for longer ranges and then dual wield shotguns afterwards in close quarters. Then I can easily leave the area and jump back in to kill more with it's Blitz. I even just scored like more than ten in a row killstreak, it's fun. However, I checked the price tag, it's quite hefty. Is it worth as a first buy to grind up there or should I wait longer_

Scout is probably my second choice, as it's really nice for killing and running away to repair. However, it's really fragile, and even more costly than that Raider I like. Not sure if it's worth either. Berserker is also sweet, but it's really costly and acts very similar to the CR-T Recruit.

Rocketeer, Grenadier, and Brawler I've quite a bit of trouble, as I can't escape death once in a brawl, and all three heavies don't seem to do enough damage to be worth in majority of situations. I've looked around the forums and seen people get a bit pissy when Grenadier was thrown onto the trials list, so I'm confused why it's so good/bad/etc.

I haven't been able to use Reaper, Sharpshooter, or Predator extensively, but they aren't terrible, just very situational. Predator is very confusing, but I looked through and it seems difficult to actually use. Reaper is cheapish but not sure whether it's worth when comparing to other mechs that seem appealing. Sharpshooter feels like a slower Reaper, though maybe I'm wrong.

I have just about enough hawken cash to purchase up any of the cheaper 3000ish cost mechs (Assault, Reaper, and Brawler), but I don't really want to rebuy CR-T practically (sounds like what Assault is), and Reaper and Brawler feel less appealing even though they are cheap. I could go for more expensive mechs but I'm not sure whether they are truly worth.

My general playstyle is basically jump in and out generally, though I think most likely medium class suits me better than other classes (though if anyone wants to suggest a light or heavy go ahead, I'm open to suggestions). Maybe I haven't quite tried a more suiting mech for me however. Thanks for the tips all. :)

#10 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 04:46 PM

go to the far right end of your garage "parking lot", and click on the Get More Mechs icon. This will give you a catalog page of all the mechs you can buy via MC or HC. You can have 'em all, some or any amount. some folks buy about a half dozen, then buy several more of each of those for different immediately available loadouts for competition, whatever. or just for the fun of having, say, 5 different Scouts.
Other folks have one of everything, and that's happy for them. No one can tell you what to do or which to pick, but since the grind is SO long and time consuming I'd recommend test driving each mech as it comes available each week to see what you think of its performance; there are still several out there you haven't been introduced to, and you'll continue to grind toward having more HC. If you really really really get a kick out of one mech (such as your Raider), get it. As I sed before, read S9's Mech Guide first!!! <---<<< important!
You'll either think I'm a genius and really cool, or that I'm an fuzzy bunny and my advice is sh!t. I've been called both. :D

edit: Caveat: shameless and biased plug to follow...
btw, Scout is a frickin' glorious ride.The TOW secondary, with a HEAT cannon or with the flak, it's just about the most fun thing there is to fire up. Very, very fragile Glass Cannon, but vicious, high velocity piloting, and did I mention Fun_ It will also give you a highly refined aiming, maneuvering, and teamwork strike skill ability. I main the HEAT Scout for Wreckage. Absolutely glorious.

Edited by EM1O, July 23 2014 - 05:06 PM.

Posted Image

#11 luxebo

luxebo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 07:48 PM

Thanks EM10, Yeah I did read Hobbes's guide. I'll be sure to pickup some of the mechs I want, though I'll have to figure which ones exactly to get first or next. I really enjoy CR-T too, but Raider is like a go to mech when my team is in a tough situation. I'll soon figure out what to get next, thanks all!

#12 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:04 PM

e m  1 O dammit.OH!
for crapsakes. OH! no emTen dammit E M 1 O

Edited by EM1O, July 23 2014 - 11:05 PM.

Posted Image

#13 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:31 PM

WELCOME FRESH MEAT- I mean... FELLOW PILOT!!!!

Lol, in all seriousness, welcome to Hawken. If you ever need help, don't hesitate to click my sig. I've got quite a few videos up that should help new players get used to the game. I'm adding more so be sure to check it out.

Also, throw out the simulator mentality you have from MWO. These two games play nothing alike. Games like Quake, unreal tournament and team fortress 2 are much more similar to Hawken.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#14 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:34 PM

View Postluxebo, on July 23 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

Yeah I did read Hobbes's guide.
Im so happy I could cry... :,)

#15 luxebo

luxebo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, I know these two games are really different. A lot of people recommended I play this as well as MWO, since they are both similar theme wise, but yeah, MWO feels so much slower than Hawken does in an overlook. Hawken does indeed play more like the games you mentioned. Also a couple more questions, does the game have a competitive/meta sorta thing like MWO with it's poptarts and lrm boats (well it's not bad in MWO now but still there is bias towards some mechs and weapons over others.) Like for example one mech is a straight upgrade from another, etc, or is everything balanced generally alright_ Also, do parts (items + internals) both can be placed in any mech or do you have to rebuy them even after buying them like weapons do_ Thanks Hobbes for the guide btw ;) .

#16 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 02:05 PM

View Postluxebo, on July 24 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

Yeah, I know these two games are really different. A lot of people recommended I play this as well as MWO, since they are both similar theme wise, but yeah, MWO feels so much slower than Hawken does in an overlook. Hawken does indeed play more like the games you mentioned. Also a couple more questions, does the game have a competitive/meta sorta thing like MWO with it's poptarts and lrm boats (well it's not bad in MWO now but still there is bias towards some mechs and weapons over others.) Like for example one mech is a straight upgrade from another, etc, or is everything balanced generally alright_ Also, do parts (items + internals) both can be placed in any mech or do you have to rebuy them even after buying them like weapons do_ Thanks Hobbes for the guide btw ;) .
Items and internals, unless stated otherwise, are mech specific. You have to buy them separately for each individual mech you own. However, almost all of the cosmetics are universal. I think at this point only the Chasis parts are the only cosmetics that are mech specific. Also, there are no straight upgrades (except for maybe the Assault mech being a slightly better version of the CR-T mech), all the choices you make have pros and cons that you'll have to learn to live with. As for bias, in the "competetive" scene, people say that C-classes tend to be the most prominent, and A-classes tend to take the stage in "scrub pubs." Personally, I don't feel any of the bias that others on the forums talk about, but that's just me. As for weapon bias, it's pretty much the same. However, the weapons that people feel are "better" are often much harder to use, so there's a skill requirement that balances these "better" weapons (things like the Heat Cannon and EOC repeater). And I'm glad you liked the guides. Maybe you can teach me MWO, because I can't play that to save my skin...

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, July 24 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#17 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 24 2014 - 02:33 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on July 23 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

View Postluxebo, on July 23 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

Yeah I did read Hobbes's guide.
Im so happy I could cry... :,)

Guess what.
I didn't read your guide.

CRI SOEM MOAR

loljk

Posted Image

Spoiler

#18 luxebo

luxebo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on July 24 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

Items and internals, unless stated otherwise, are mech specific. You have to buy them separately for each individual mech you own. However, almost all of the cosmetics are universal. I think at this point only the Chasis parts are the only cosmetics that are mech specific. Also, there are no straight upgrades (except for maybe the Assault mech being a slightly better version of the CR-T mech), all the choices you make have pros and cons that you'll have to learn to live with. As for bias, in the "competetive" scene, people say that C-classes tend to be the most prominent, and A-classes tend to take the stage in "scrub pubs." Personally, I don't feel any of the bias that others on the forums talk about, but that's just me. As for weapon bias, it's pretty much the same. However, the weapons that people feel are "better" are often much harder to use, so there's a skill requirement that balances these "better" weapons (things like the Heat Cannon and EOC repeater). And I'm glad you liked the guides. Maybe you can teach me MWO, because I can't play that to save my skin...

I see, then I'd likely pickup mechs or at least a good amount of em before going in to fit everything perfectly. I'm also glad that unlike in MWO that mech space is free. :)

That's good that mechs in this game is a ton more balanced, all go into certain qualities, and equally are competitive. I'd say that Lighter mechs have a slight advantage from what I see but that could be just how I view the gameplay. Slower mechs seem like they get swarmed down quicker in this game in my opinion.

MWO is a lot more rough in this standpoint. Jumpers/Poptarts (unlike this game, only a limited amount of mechs can equip Jump Jets, and these mechs equip them well with sniper weapons), LRM boats (mechs with lots and lots of missiles), and maybe a few niche cases in the middle usually dominate the game in the competitive scene, though in public matches the mechs have been more balanced in general.

Once again, thanks for the guides and videos, they are really helpful. :)

Going to talk a bit on MWO now comparing the two games here. Both games do have the same general themes of robots/mechs and this sort of thing, and both have a depth atmosphere and background lore on the game. However, Hawken feels more like piloting exo-suits or that kind of thing, as most mechs, even the heaviest ones, feel very light, capable of jumping from place to place and have very similar capabilities (not completely true, but in a general aspect most mechs feel similar to each other). MWO has a clear clear difference between the lights and the heavies, this contrast is why both games are quite different in feeling. Lights in MWO feel a little bit more like Hawken's mechs, maybe the lighter Mediums too, but heavier mechs will feel very sluggish.

Also, a lot of mechs do have bias towards other mechs, as some mechs feel just generally without a role when another mech can do the same and more or better. For example, a Locust pales to a Firestarter because the Locust (as it's namesake) has less armor, less weaponry, and no Jump Jets, while Firestarter has better armor, better weaponry, and Jump Jets. Locust sure can go somewhat faster but it doesn't make up for any of it's downfalls at all (plus it's comparing a 20 tonner to a 35 tonner, both light but there is distinct contrast here). Last thing, you only live once, no respawns. That is a giant difference in a game, so it's not like you can jump into one mech and die and get into another to counter whatever killed you. Maybe give it a few more tries, play around with those trial mechs (if you played before MWO's launch, PGI got in some specified trials and such, so things are better for a newer player.)

Oh, and a couple more questions, map wise, how are maps balanced in terms of gameplay, start location, etc_ Are some maps better than others_ Or are most decently similar_ It feels closer to each other than they really should be, but could be because heat isn't affected by the map, no terrain advantages/disadvantages, etc compared to MWO, where some mechs just pale in comparison to others in some maps. Thanks for all the help SoldierHobbes11 :) .

#19 luxebo

luxebo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted July 25 2014 - 02:40 PM

Just a quick (and hopefully not too many after this): Is there something similar to MWO's Smurfy website in which I can play around with Hawken's mechs and loadouts and stuff in order to see what might or might not be viable_ Basically in Smurfy I can play around with different combos of weapons and see all the stats and loadout modifiers.

My choice in mechs at the moment is probably something along the lines of (at least for a short while): CR-T Recruit (all-rounder), Reaper (sniper), Raider (brawler), Scout (speed runner), Assault (another all-rounder), Brawler (tank), and maybe G2 versions of Raider and Assault if I can afford/get there. So far I've the first two, and will probably get those mechs in something like that order.

#20 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted July 25 2014 - 03:08 PM

View Postluxebo, on July 25 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

Just a quick (and hopefully not too many after this): Is there something similar to MWO's Smurfy website in which I can play around with Hawken's mechs and loadouts and stuff in order to see what might or might not be viable_ Basically in Smurfy I can play around with different combos of weapons and see all the stats and loadout modifiers.

My choice in mechs at the moment is probably something along the lines of (at least for a short while): CR-T Recruit (all-rounder), Reaper (sniper), Raider (brawler), Scout (speed runner), Assault (another all-rounder), Brawler (tank), and maybe G2 versions of Raider and Assault if I can afford/get there. So far I've the first two, and will probably get those mechs in something like that order.

To answer your first question. No, there is no site like that.

May I revise your list and definitions_

CR-T Recruit (Anti A class/flanker/defender/pusher), Reaper (Mid range/flanker/sniper), Raider (Hit and run/flanker/finisher/ambush), Assault (Same as CRT), Brawler (Pusher/Fat ninja), Scout (Defender/flanker/finisher/hit and run/ambush). Mastering the Scout is an art. It is the best. Don't get the Assault if you don't have to. Get a Incinerator. It is OP and good support.

Get the G2s after and only after you have outfitted all your other mechs.

Btw, if you want something along AC lines, get the Infiltrator.

Scout, Infil, Gren, Manguard(aka Vanguard), Reaper, and Brawler. Those are my favorites. I would also play Assault, and Zerker if I wanted a change. But sustained is just to easy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users