HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to make controllers properly work with this_

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ZEROthefirst

ZEROthefirst

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 09:19 AM

Like the title says how do you make a controller properly work with Hawken_ I recently downloaded this at the suggestion of some friends and watched some videos and it looks really fun. The only problem I'm having though is that whenever I attempt to use my PS4 controller with the game it won't work, something I've noticed with a few games on Steam. So I downloaded a program that makes the computer see it as a 360 controller and everything works... except Hawken. With Hawken it's usually one thing or another that does or doesn't work. Sometimes the buttons work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the analog sticks work or sometimes one works and the other doesn't. I know it's not just my controller either as I've used a friends wired 360 controller to see if maybe that would alleviate the problem and it still does the same thing.

Is there something specific I need to do in order to get the controller to function properly with Hawken or can I just not play_ I can't use the keyboard and mouse setup because I have weak wrists and can't exactly play FPS' or any game that required quick mouse movement.
Thanks

#2 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted July 23 2014 - 12:29 PM

the dualshock 3/4 uses directinput API instead of the more common Xinput API, you'll need a proper program to wrap directinput to Xinput. this program will work with pretty much any game: http://forums.pcsx2....-XInput-Wrapper - in addition you'll need to properly set all of the binds for the controller buttons in the keyboard menu as there isn't much of a default control scheme. I'm an 1850+ MMR player and use a dualshock 4 with no problem using DS4Tool
Posted Image

#3 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted July 23 2014 - 01:28 PM

I fiddled around with a PS3 controller and did a mini writeup on it a while ago.  I'm sure you might find something useful in it.

https://community.pl...er/#entry323241

Good luck.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#4 ZEROthefirst

ZEROthefirst

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thanks guys.

@Beefsweat I have been using DS4 tool to emulate a 36 controller. I just had to play around with some things in Hawken and it to get it to work right.

@SS396 That's actually really useful to know, because before I bought a DS4 to play games on my PC I was using my DS3 controllers. I use motionjoy too since that pretty much the only way to work it on anything, but I honestly never knew about the 360 tab in there.

Thanks for the quick replies though guys and maybe I'll see you online at some point when I get acclimated to the game better.

#5 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 03:17 PM

I use an xbox controller flawlessly, except I need to rebind jump every time for some reason...

#6 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted July 23 2014 - 05:13 PM

360joypad and xpadder.exe configured to emulate kb for left hand, mouse for right hand. you MUST assign duplicate letter keys in Hawken Settings to unused buttons on the joypad or assign controller buttons on the Settings to unused kb keys, or you'll get stuff like your Detonator detonating in your face immediately on launch, Left Trigger (Boost) being rebound to Primary Fire, or hiccupping in and out of Repair mode, etc. This combo has worked extremely well for me for a year and a half. YMMV.
old people with bad hands tend not to be able to tolerate the kb fingertangle olympics.  :)
(sorry for the huge graphics thingy, but i don't know how to "do it better")
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by EM1O, July 23 2014 - 05:35 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#7 ZEROthefirst

ZEROthefirst

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 05:25 PM

@EM10 21 here so not exactly what you'd call old. There are things called medical issues that happen to people other than you, you know right_

#8 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 05:36 PM

63. you missed the point, apparently. this thread is about hardware configuration.

:D

Edited by EM1O, July 23 2014 - 06:16 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#9 ZEROthefirst

ZEROthefirst

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 06:08 PM

Not trying to sound self-righteous, your comment just kind of annoyed me a bit because it's the usual type of comment I see from boisterous mouse/keyboard elitists, and I assumed that was partly the aim behind it. My bad.

#10 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 06:24 PM

edited it so it didn't sound so harsh. i'm far from an elitist--scrubby maybe. i run a $600 8 core basic gaming system with the bare necessities (click the "Dementia" link), and actually pretty much suck at Hawken.
Welcome aboard.
:)

Posted Image

#11 XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted July 23 2014 - 08:53 PM

I've had issues with using controllers since I started playing a year ago.

I know this thread is hardware related, but I figure I'd put my two cents in as to what works best, or rather yet, what has worked best for me.

DS3 was my first method of playing, and I must say, it served me rather well(considering it went to my PS3, as I fit more into the "console player" persona). At a gamepad sensitivity between 240-320, my aim was pretty darn accurate - The Infiltrator was the next mech I used after the CRT, and I miss the days where I landed the majority of my heat cannon shots, but...I wanted to be able to aim and turn faster, especially when it came to the SS, so I sought after a new controller, because there is a deadzone on the DS3 when emulating the 360; it didn't perform well at a high sensitivity.

Couple months...DS4. Favorite controller - it handles the game the same way as the DS3 when it comes to the deadzone in the joysticks. Again, I lose accuracy and responsiveness.

Got the 360 - I did, and I still hate the asymetrical joystick layout - Over a couple weeks of playing, my accuracy got a tad better because the deadzone is smaller, so I could mess with higher sensitivity values because of it. I also found my left hand cramping alot, but I think my control scheme might have contributed to it.

And finally, I went to a Scuf 360 - rubber grips, shorter triggers, right convex joystick, four back paddles... as far as overall performance, this controller trumps the rest, and quite comfortable too. By flipping the joystick from concave to convex, it 'almost' gets rid of this sensitivity/deadzone issue I've always had with the game. Instead of keeping the senstivity between 240-320, I now have it maxed out.

Edited by XPloyt, July 23 2014 - 08:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users