HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

SA Hawkins vs Slug

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 12:03 PM

Which would be better on the SS _   SA Hawkins on paper looks to be statistically better.  More dps than the slug even the minimum dps is higher than the max dps of the slug.  The slug has more burst power potentially in one shot, but in the same time .64 seconds you can get sabot plus 2 hawkins in and get the same burst.  The hawkins is better equiped to keep A classes off you when you get into cqc with the SS.  The hawkins would be better for sustained open combat by far.  The fall off of the hawkins is shorter but again even the minimum dps is higher than the max dps of the slug.  The end range of the hawkins is 310 and the start off of the sabot damage fall off is 320 so if your in range with hawkkins you automatically know your going to get full burst damage of the sabot rifle.

Ive mainly used the Slug but recently thinking about using the hawkins again.  With all the postives that Ive listed above there for the Sa Hawkins (at least on paper),  can someone persuade me why I should keep using the slug.  Or should I adapt my playstyle to use the Hawkins and be even more aggresive dps potential mech_

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#2 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 11 2014 - 12:14 PM

personally, I suck monkey groin at playing SS so i would say hawkins.  but, I love burst damage lol.  It's really up to you, the hawkins is more of a sustained weapon versus the slug. but most of the pro SS players use the slug because of it's burst.

#3 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 01:01 PM

Don't underestimate burst damage.  The SA Hawkins' potential damage may be high, but actually dealing that damage requires you to maintain a clear line of sight for a while, vs the brief glimpse required to deliver a slug + sabot burst.  Targets also have more of a chance to react to something that chews through armor steadily as opposed to ripping a big chunk out of it all at once.

Edited by WarlordZ, August 11 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#4 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted August 11 2014 - 01:15 PM

It depends on the situation, really. Learn to use them both, but focus on the Slug.

Slug's excellent because it's perfectly accurate. You can see one pixel of the repairing enemy_ Likewise if an enemy is peeking over a ledge, you can give a nice plink. A-classes absolutely dread the combination of Slug & Sabot as it will take half of their armor away and seriously cripple them. Not bad against B-class mechs either.

The SA Hawkins is best utilized when you are sure the enemies will be out in the open and you will be getting a lot of hits, like against C-classes boosting towards some objective (even you). The Hawkins has some spread so C-classes having a bigger hitbox means you'll have it more reliable against them as well. If they have a Technician, you will want to use the Slug though because of its reliability.

#5 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted August 11 2014 - 01:40 PM

My 2 cents: Don't play sharpie.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#6 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted August 11 2014 - 02:58 PM

SA Hawkins may have advantages in damage, but the Slug's ability to do full damage while only being exposed for a split second has saved me on more than one occasion.

No reason not to use both, though. If you're confident in your aim then on open maps like Bazaar or Bunker the Hawkins could do quite well for you.

#7 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 11 2014 - 03:13 PM

Slug on both Reaper and SS, here. Any version of Hawkins does give you statistically more per second, but that's clear, sustained fire. If you're prairie-dogging or peek-a-boo sniping, slug it. The time-out between hops or dodges will fairly closely match the rifle cooldown.
It's comforting to find an A frame tearing down a teammate, and do a quick double-pump Savior kill on it. Not so sure a thing, with Hawkins.
The caveat is you better be fairly good at your hit-count if an A frame engages you, while you're toting Slug'n'Sabot on either mech (air compressor!)
YMMV
:)

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#8 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted August 11 2014 - 10:00 PM

yep SLug, it gives interesting playstyles an advantage :D (Close combat reaper/SS ftw!)

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#9 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 10:25 PM

Go slug.
SA Hawkins shoots to slow and does too little damage for it's rate of fire.

Hawkins RPR is superior to the SA Hawkins in every way. Faster ROF and damage output.
Unfortunately it's not available on the sharpshooter mech.

#10 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted August 12 2014 - 12:16 AM

Slug f.t.w.
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#11 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted August 12 2014 - 08:44 PM

The Slug Rifle doesn't require you to scope in order for shots to go where you want. The deviation of where it ends up is much less, compared to the SABOT rifle. That in itself gives an incredible advantage, coupled with its impressive accuracy and reliable damage rating. The only flaw is the pilot using it: one must know how to use this weapon, and in ways that make it efficient and precise for whatever situation. If you're really good with it, you can employ methods that up the chances of hitting your target with either itself, or the SABOT. Almost in all cases and maps, I run Slug rifle with sharpshooter.

On the other spectrum, the SA Hawkins offers a more lenient type of gameplay, and the damage can also be brutal if you keep persistence in the clutches of your "robotic" hand. However, this weapon does not favor Power Shot in any regard, so this is truly what defeats the purpose of running this weapon. I've encountered many situations that needed Power Shot to give me the single, powered shot that I needed to destroy the enemy, usually from them running away in scope 250 meters, or a Reaper/SS thinking they can outsnipe me, only for them to glimpse the Red Wings of Callous Deception. Same goes for Reaper, but not running Slug - Reaper running a slug will mean it will not output any more damage than it can already.

The OP overlooking AM-Sar probably means that he either has not tried it, or has, but dislikes the utility attached to it, which is reasonable. The weapon requires massive attention to the situation, and even if that's a good or bad perspective, you lose simplicity and accuracy for the sake of reliable damage output. This weapon is by far the worst for the current HAWKEN, since many often find themselves losing damage efficiency caused by the exorbitant requirement of needing to spam left-mouse button. If you aren't careful with this weapon, raw damage will attenuate in a very short amount of time.

Edited by Draigun, August 12 2014 - 09:01 PM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#12 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted August 12 2014 - 10:58 PM

I try to keep my SS as a burst-only set up for pure sniping since it's the lowest health and slowest of the B class mechs, so Slug with a Replenisher is my preferred loadout. I tend to get a lot of assists but not many kills since I routinely take big chunks out of whatever I hit then jump back in cover.

Reaper I play completely differently as more of a precision mid-range skirmisher or flanker to hunt down wounded enemies, so I run the AM-SAR for the extra DPS, higher rate of fire, and great accuracy at middle distances. Also, I have ways of making it... more tolerable to use. :-D Bottom line is that I get a lot more kills and a much higher KDR with the Reaper. It's strange but the SS really is kind of weak comparatively speaking right now.

Edited by Mawnkey, August 12 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#13 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted August 13 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostMawnkey, on August 12 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

[...]
It's strange but the SS really is kind of weak comparatively speaking right now.
I remember when SS was very strong post-Steam release: the Slug Rifle did 10_ more damage than it does now. Doesn't seem like much, but when it had that damage value, SS was the overpowered class during that time. You were able to take almost 3/4 of an A-Class mech's armor off in the amount of time it took to fire a Slug and SABOT round.

That damage reduction nerf to the Slug essentially reduced the strength of the SS to what it is today.

Edited by Draigun, August 13 2014 - 11:18 PM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#14 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted August 15 2014 - 08:34 AM

There was also the change to the ability. 35% damage increase for 2 seconds was changed to 25% damage increase for 1 second.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users