HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Fight Club Concept for test arena

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 17 2014 - 01:20 PM

So, I've been thinking a lot about how an official Fight Club gametype would work with the test arena. It would have to be something completely different from other modes in all aspects. This is the design I've come up with, separated into these categories.

-General Concept
-Winning Matches
-Placing Bets
-Players leaving, joining, etc.
-Game Length

General Concept

Up to 16 players, double elimination. There are 20 seconds between each match during which all players can bet on the match, including those who are about to fight. Unlike the current design, there would be no teleporter from the spectator area to the arena. The current fighters would be automatically transported to the bullpen at the conclusion of the previous match. Winning matches and betting correctly will award HC. Here's the mock-up I threw together.

Posted Image

As you can see, there is a full bracket of 16 players with a loser's bracket, the current match where you can place your bets, and a match timer. This display will also be in the bullpens where the current fighters are so they can bet as well.

Winning Matches

There will be a total of 5-6 rounds, depending on how the final match goes. More on this in a bit. The HC rewards for winning a round increase as the tournament progresses. The winner gets the reward, the loser gets nothing unless he bet correctly. I'll explain this in the next section. The HC rewards for winning will look like this.

Round 1 - 10 HC
Round 2 - 20 HC
Round 3 - 30 HC
Round 4 - 40 HC

Last two rounds are between the champions of the winner's and loser's brackets.
Round 5 - 25/50 HC
Round 6 - 25/50 HC

Those last two rounds are special. Since this is double elimination, you must lose two matches before you are out of the tournament. This means that the loser's bracket champion must win twice against the winner's bracket champion. If the winner's bracket wins, he gets the full reward for winning rounds 5 and 6 (25+25=50 HC), and the tournament is over. If the loser's bracket wins, he gets 25 HC and the final match (round 6) begins. If he also wins round 6, he gets the additional 25 HC for a total of 50. If he loses, the winner's bracket still gets the full 50 HC even though he lost round 4.

So, if you win the tournament, you will receive 150 HC from winning the matches. Now, onto placing bets.

Placing Bets

Here is where the real earnings are. There are 20 seconds between each round. During that time, players will bet on who they think will win by aiming at the player name in the current match display and clicking. You may change your bet as many times as you want in those 20 seconds. If you bet correctly, you will receive a base of 10 HC + 2 HC per-player who bet the opposite. If you bet incorrectly, you receive nothing. If you chose not to bet, you receive 5 HC.

If a player left, their opponent will automatically win the match, get his reward, and advance. All players will receive 5 HC for that match.

Betting correctly on round 4 will get you a base of 20 HC + 4 HC per player who bet the opposite if the winner's bracket wins. Otherwise, rounds 4 and 5 will each award the standard base 10 + 2 HC-per.

A 16-player double-elimination tournament has 31 matches. So, assuming a full tournament, lets say you bet correctly every match with an average of 5 players betting the other way each time (an unlikely, but highly profitable scenario). You will receive 20 HC per match for a total of 620 HC at the end of the tournament, +150 if you won, +250 if it's a daily award. Total = 1020 HC. With booster = 1510 HC.

That's quite a lot, but remember that's already a highly rare, best case scenario. If you lose two matches straight away, you'll still probably get around 200-400 HC for sticking around and betting. Heck, if you don't bet at all, that's a guaranteed 155 HC just for watching. No AFK allowed of course. The only way to earn 0 HC is to lose your first two matches and bet incorrectly the whole game.

Players Leaving, Joining etc.

At least 8 players must be present for a game to start, but no matter the number of players in the game, it will always be a 16 player bracket. Empty matches will simply be skipped over, awarding everyone 5 HC.

As I said earlier, if a player leaves, their opponent will advance as if they had won the match. The same goes if there are an odd number of players in the game and someone is matched up against an empty slot. Players who join midway through the tournament will be automatically placed in an empty slot.

Game Length

Wouldn't this take a rather long time_  Well, no. Not at all. In fact it would be rather quick. Lets say all 16 slots are filled for the whole tournament, so there is a fight for each of the 31 matches. If each match takes about 30 seconds (If you've ever been in a fight club game, that's a little above the average), plus the 20 seconds between rounds, that's 50 seconds per match. If we do the math and round up, that means that a full tournament will take about 26 minutes at most. 30 minutes if we assume more long fights. That's not much at all for how much HC you could potentially earn. It's certainly quicker than a full game of Co-op bot destruction. Subtract 50 seconds for every time a match with an empty slot happens and you end up with a pretty reasonable length of time.

Edited by Silk_Sk, August 20 2014 - 09:48 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 08:51 AM

Comon, doesn't anyone think this would be awesome_
Posted Image

#3 MechAnt7

MechAnt7

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationOrigin

Posted August 20 2014 - 09:12 AM

Well done my friend! Great in depth proposal, let's hope the devs see it! I'd love to see something like this happen. :)

#4 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 20 2014 - 10:29 AM

It's cool, but I feel like the reward balance is off. If it's a gamemode centered on winning fights, that's where the money should be. If you asked me, I'd say that the majority of HC should be awarded via fights, and the betting should be a side bonus.still pretty rad, nonetheless.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#5 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostSatelliteJack, on August 20 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

It's cool, but I feel like the reward balance is off. If it's a gamemode centered on winning fights, that's where the money should be. If you asked me, I'd say that the majority of HC should be awarded via fights, and the betting should be a side bonus.still pretty rad, nonetheless.

You'd think so, but when the majority of time in the game is spent not fighting, that's where the majority of the earnings should be as well. Otherwise, if you lose, why stick around_

Edited by Silk_Sk, August 20 2014 - 10:32 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 20 2014 - 11:09 AM

It'd be cool, no wait, it'd be amazingly awesome! Organized 1v1 fights would be fun, just lemme go grab my scoot lol

Should be a separate game mode or listed in the server browser cuz i don't want to join a tdm or dm and end up in an arena lol

#7 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 20 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostSilk_Sk, on August 20 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

View PostSatelliteJack, on August 20 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

You'd think so, but when the majority of time in the game is spent not fighting, that's where the majority of the earnings should be as well. Otherwise, if you lose, why stick around_

Yeah, I suppose that's true.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#8 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted August 20 2014 - 11:50 AM

you can totally do this right this very moment

#9 Chocksa

Chocksa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationDongen, The Netherlands

Posted August 20 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostSilk_Sk, on August 17 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Up to 16 players, double elimination. There are 20 seconds between each match during which all players can bet on the match, including those who are about to fight.

I can see problems with the competitors who are about to fight being alowed to bet on their fight. This could allow for ppl betting on their opponent and then lose on purpose just to grind HC. I think only spectators should be allowed to bet on a fight.

You could implement an ante system like they have in poker for the seperate rounds. For instance to participate each round you have to pay a 50HC ante and the winner takes the ante of both contestants. The loser gets nothing. This ante system will prevent abuse of the betting system.

#10 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostChocksa, on August 20 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostSilk_Sk, on August 17 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Up to 16 players, double elimination. There are 20 seconds between each match during which all players can bet on the match, including those who are about to fight.

I can see problems with the competitors who are about to fight being alowed to bet on their fight. This could allow for ppl betting on their opponent and then lose on purpose just to grind HC. I think only spectators should be allowed to bet on a fight.

You could implement an ante system like they have in poker for the seperate rounds. For instance to participate each round you have to pay a 50HC ante and the winner takes the ante of both contestants. The loser gets nothing. This ante system will prevent abuse of the betting system.

This is a good point. I'll remove the part about being able to bet on your own match. But I intentionally avoided the ante system. The HC earnings should be more directly adjustable by the devs for balance's sake.

Edit: Actually, nevermind. It can say. You'd only be able to do that twice in a game. That's two matches out of 31 fights you can fix. The earnings would be minimal, even if everyone bet the opposite way both times, a mere total 80 HC at best. Besides, if that happened (everyone betting for you and you betting the opposite way and losing) it would be obvious you threw the fight and would be reported, presumably.

Edited by Silk_Sk, August 20 2014 - 02:10 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationAustralia, mite.

Posted August 23 2014 - 12:40 AM

People are going to get bored at the sidelines and I sense that there would be a lot of newbies at this mode to grind HC. Possibly add a sort of mini-game function while on the side-lines such as small battles on the side - not for extra HC, but the fact to do something. Also, there would also be only one, two or three of these, so the majority of people would be watching one of the four matches.

Suggestions would be welcome!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users