HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Another new player

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lasraik

Lasraik

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, N.M.

Posted August 20 2014 - 09:17 AM

Checked this game out on recommendations from other players on my forum.  Really loving it so far, I'm hooked.  

Just bought my first mech, which was the Raider but not a huge fan.  I might even prefer the Recruit more, but maybe that's just because I got used to it.

Looking forward to learning more about the game and playing matches vs. all of you.

Edited by Lasraik, August 20 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#2 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 09:54 AM

Getting used to the CRT is fine. It's a solid mech, easy to learn, and reliable in all situations. All the mechs have their strengths and weaknesses and some may be harder to get used to than others, but in most cases it's worth it. Welcome to Hawken!
Posted Image

#3 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 20 2014 - 10:05 AM

Welcome aboard, Pilot! The Raider does take some getting used to for sure. But you'll get the hang of it, trust me. I started out really, REALLY, bad with it, but then one day I brought a whole server to it's knees with the thing. Keep on Blitzing!

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#4 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted August 20 2014 - 10:06 AM

Welcome to the game.

How many mechs have you run down with your Raider's special Ability_ That's one of the fun things about that mech.  The cool down on its secondary weapon is just stupid.  If its Too powerful then reduce the damage to off set the rate of fire.

What do you think_

#5 Lasraik

Lasraik

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 10:30 AM

I actually haven't used it's special ability yet.  Will have to check into that

#6 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 20 2014 - 10:54 AM

Welcome aboard pilot.  Raider isn't an easy mech to play but sure as hell is fun once you get used to it :P
I strongly suggest you buy a berserker or vanguard as your next mech to get the feel of both classes ;)

#7 Lasraik

Lasraik

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 11:27 AM

I thought about getting both of those, want something well rounded

#8 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted August 20 2014 - 11:40 AM

sup

Posted Image

#9 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 20 2014 - 12:13 PM

nm, u_

#10 xeroslash

xeroslash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 01:17 PM

Nothing wrong with getting acquainted with the CR-T - it's a solid mech.

After you start feeling comfortable with it, you can start questioning yourself on the playstyle you prefer. This will help you decide your future mechs.

As for personal recommendations, Berserker is a good intro to A class mechs and Vanguard/Brawler are a good intro to C class mechs. If you like where you currently are with the CR-T, you can't go wrong with Assault.
xeroslash || US East/Central
https://www.youtube.com/user/xeroslash

Posted Image

#11 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostLasraik, on August 20 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

I thought about getting both of those, want something well rounded

If you want something familiar, the Assault mech is pretty much functionally identical to the CRT. It has more armor and speed, but more overheat recovery, smaller radar range, and less fuel.
Posted Image

#12 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 20 2014 - 03:43 PM

Have you ever watched a hawk sitting on a fence post watching the brush, then it launches across the field and drops in *POW!* Dinner.
One snack at a time, or a healthy Buffet!
Raider  :)
Welcome to Hawken!

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#13 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 09:38 PM

I would not recommend raider for someone just getting into the game, but, since you already have it, let me explain some key mechanics behind the game that are useful for raider.

First, I don't know what games you've played before, so forgive me if this is too basic-I'm assuming standard FPS w/ low TTKs, (military style shooters).

There is no set of weapons capable of killing even the weakest mech in one hit, but the raider does come close. When you first start, the game is really about getting used to the movement and how to use multiple weapons and manage their heat. The raider is a movement centered mech with a very close engagement range.

The weapon you start out with, the reflak, is an automatic shotgun capable of short-midrange combat. It is the least "bursty" of the raider's weapons. Burst is a very central concept to this game.

Burst is a mech's ability to do high damage while minimally exposing yourself, as opposed to flat out DPS, which requires consistent line of sight. Burst tactics are centered around using cover, and only becoming visible to the enemy at the exact moments that you attack. The reflak is forgiving in this sense, because even though it is a shotgun, it maintains a moderate level of DPS.

You want to be consistently manipulating any engagement to your advantage by stepping out of cover, shooting, and then immediately dodging back behind cover. It's a very basic principal within Hawken, but it truly never becomes outdated, regardless of skill.

The raider, even though it is a B class, is conditionally the fastest mech in the game. The condition is that its ability is on. Not only does it become the fastest, most agile mech in the game with the ability turned on, but you can shoot while boosting-a capability not possessed by any other mech. You can take advantage of this by surprising enemy mechs, or forcing an engagement with a mech that has low health.

However, I personally rarely use the ability for offense unless I know I have a very good chance of winning the engagement- or I use it without boosting for a very fast walk speed, effectively sneaking up on an opponent very quickly. If you boost into an engagement, ability or not, you will have less fuel to fight or retreat with, and that ability can be very useful for getting out of a sticky situation.

Also, a very general piece of advice. Boost only when necessary or when you are positive no one is around (surrounded by teammates, at spawn, etc.). Not only do you use fuel and appear on radar, but your weapons take time to raise. Engaging an enemy by boosting to them is a near guarantee that they will get the first shot on you.

Welcome, and good luck.
Posted Image

#14 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 21 2014 - 08:09 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on August 20 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

There is no set of weapons capable of killing even the weakest mech in one hit.

Not quite. The Pred can insta-kill any A-class mech (and the sharpshooter) with a fully-loaded mine trap. Besides that, several mechs are capable of this with the right builds. the Raider included.

In fact, the Raider might just be capable of the most powerful alpha strike in the game (alpha strike = hitting with both weapons, plus a damaging item all at once). Assuming every projectile hits, using MIRV-mode with a charged EOC-repeater shot and an HE grenade or detonator (a total max of 365 damage), the Raider can insta-gib literally any A-class mech.

However, I would stress that the theoretical capability of alpha-strike insta-kills does not give any significant advantage. In fact, it's no advantage at all. You need to be highly skilled, up against an inexperienced opponent, and possibly equipped with a build that doesn't suit you. Still, alpha strikes are a powerful technique and well worth learning.

Edited by Silk_Sk, August 21 2014 - 08:12 AM.

Posted Image

#15 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 21 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostSilk_Sk, on August 21 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

Not quite. The Pred can insta-kill any A-class mech (and the sharpshooter) with a fully-loaded mine trap. Besides that, several mechs are capable of this with the right builds. the Raider included.

In fact, the Raider might just be capable of the most powerful alpha strike in the game (alpha strike = hitting with both weapons, plus a damaging item all at once). Assuming every projectile hits, using MIRV-mode with a charged EOC-repeater shot and an HE grenade or detonator (a total of 365 damage), the Raider can insta-gib literally any A-class mech.

However, I would stress that the theoretical capability of alpha-strike insta-kills does not give any significant advantage. In fact, it's no advantage at all. You need to be highly skilled, up against an inexperienced opponent, and possibly equipped with a build that doesn't suit you. Still, alpha strikes are a powerful technique and well worth learning.
This is all true, though I certainly wasn't including the pred because that's not really an insta-kill considering the amount of time required to do it (though I suppose you could argue charging a weapon takes time too, but that delineation is neither here nor there). As far as the det/HE grenade are concerned, well, that I just.. Like.. ok. Fine. I don't have an excuse for that. But to be fair I've never ever ever ever seen that happen.
Posted Image

#16 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 21 2014 - 08:30 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on August 21 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

View PostSilk_Sk, on August 21 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

In fact, the Raider might just be capable of the most powerful alpha strike in the game (alpha strike = hitting with both weapons, plus a damaging item all at once). Assuming every projectile hits, using MIRV-mode with a charged EOC-repeater shot and an HE grenade or detonator (a total of 365 damage), the Raider can insta-gib literally any A-class mech.

This is all true, though I certainly wasn't including the pred because that's not really an insta-kill considering the amount of time required to do it (though I suppose you could argue charging a weapon takes time too, but that delineation is neither here nor there). As far as the det/HE grenade are concerned, well, that I just.. Like.. ok. Fine. I don't have an excuse for that. But to be fair I've never ever ever ever seen that happen.

Neither have I, but I don't think anyone has really tried. I came close once or twice in my infil and G2-Raider, though. Like I said, it's theoretical. But now that I've looked at it, maybe I should put this build on my Raider and see how long it takes me to do_

Edited by Silk_Sk, August 21 2014 - 08:31 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Lasraik

Lasraik

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:02 AM

Some great info here, thanks for sharing your knowledge.  I've been getting used to the Raider a little bit more, the burst damage (peeking out and striking then hiding again) is something I'm getting used to with it.  

Thinking of trying a Vanguard next, seems more my style with more HP and DPS.  The speed will be something I'll have to get used to after playing the Raider a while.

#18 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 14 2014 - 10:50 AM

WELCOME FRESH MEAT- I mean.. FELLOW PILOT!
Lol, in all seriousness, welcome to the world of Hawken. If you ever need help with the game, feel free to ask. You can also click on the link in my signature for a large amount of tutorials aimed at getting beginners on their feet and well familiar with the game and the mechs. I'm always adding more when I can so be sure to check it out!

Also, the raider is not the best mech for a beginner. I suggest maxing the level of your recruit so you're well familiar with the game before picking up more difficult mechs.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#19 Lasraik

Lasraik

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for the reply, Hobbes.  I watched all of your videos on mechs and really enjoyed them.  Thanks for taking the time and effort to put all of that together.  Very impressive work!

I got my Raider to level 5 and started playing a Vanguard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users