HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Google Chrome (stable) for 64-bit available

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 27 2014 - 04:18 PM

Chrome (stable) updated to 64-bit now.

https://www.google.c..._platform=win64
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#2 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 27 2014 - 05:29 PM

BTW, theres a huge bug (pages not loading at all) in canary 39.0.218.0 and 39.0.218.2.  The bug has been identified and is currently being recompiled, should be available in a few hours.

#3 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:08 PM

Finally!  I can harness my cpu power

#4 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostInfyrno, on August 27 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Finally!  I can harness my cpu power

64-bit has been noticeably faster since I've been using it (under canary for weeks, I only reverted to stable today when canary was completely broken and noticed they released the 64-bit version at the same time)

Some people complain about fuzzy or large fonts due to high DPI settings.  This is fixed by turning off "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the compatibility area on the shortcut properties.

#5 SamEureka

SamEureka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Locationall your base are belong to us

Posted August 27 2014 - 07:11 PM

I can finally run Java 7 in Chrome! This is good news indeed!
Posted Image

#6 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 27 2014 - 08:02 PM

I prefer SeaMonkey (the modern day version of Netscape Navigator). Much larger population of plugins (especially the privacy and adblock stuff), not back-doored or open to US or foreign espionage, and adaptable to TOR and other secure comms proxies.
I don't care if it's 32 or 64 bit. Go Firefox (64 bit since 2011) if you have to for that.

edit: not a flame or rage. It's just that Chrome gives me such an "Eeeeewww..." kind of feeling when I try to use it. PersPref.

Edited by EM1O, August 27 2014 - 08:05 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#7 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 27 2014 - 08:14 PM

View PostEM1O, on August 27 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

I prefer SeaMonkey (the modern day version of Netscape Navigator). Much larger population of plugins (especially the privacy and adblock stuff), not back-doored or open to US or foreign espionage, and adaptable to TOR and other secure comms proxies.
I don't care if it's 32 or 64 bit. Go Firefox (64 bit since 2011) if you have to for that.

edit: not a flame or rage. It's just that Chrome gives me such an "Eeeeewww..." kind of feeling when I try to use it. PersPref.

First, this wasn't a thread to argue over which browser is better.  I simply was making people aware that theres a 64-bit build for software that many people might use and not know that it was released and updated today.

Second, if you think you are safe/hidden while using TOR, you are severely mistaken.

#8 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted August 28 2014 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for telling us about the 64 bit update. I'll probably get it later on today.

View PostSS396, on August 27 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

Second, if you think you are safe/hidden while using TOR, you are severely mistaken.

While there are ways to deanonymize Tor traffic in a limited capacity, it's not even close to economically feasible to identify everyone. Someone just using the network for normal stuff or even doing low-level illegal things on it should be completely fine as long as they use a current and properly-implemented version of Tor while having good general security practices.

#9 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 28 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostJeffMagnum, on August 28 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

While there are ways to deanonymize Tor traffic in a limited capacity, it's not even close to economically feasible to identify everyone. Someone just using the network for normal stuff or even doing low-level illegal things on it should be completely fine as long as they use a current and properly-implemented version of Tor while having good general security practices.

http://www.theguardi...rence-cancelled

Too bad that info in that breifing didn't make it to the rest of the world.

#10 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted August 28 2014 - 05:26 PM

How does a small group of researchers claiming (without any sort of public proof) that they've found a fundamental exploit that the NSA couldn't with literally less than 0.000001% of its budget prove anything_ If it comes to light that they're using some new and innovative exploit then yeah, it'd be worrying for anyone on Tor, but I'm not putting much stock in that group's claim until they actually produce evidence.

Edit: I'm not trying to be hostile toward you at all. I'm just wondering why you're convinced that it's so broken, and I'm entirely willing to change over to your viewpoint if you can show me some gaping security hole that I'm not aware of.

Edited by JeffMagnum, August 28 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#11 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 28 2014 - 07:18 PM

I have a hard time believing someone would be willing to go to the Blackhat conference and give a briefing to hundreds of individuals in the security sector without any proof.  They would be the laughing stock of the entire conference don't you think_  Also where do you think the NSA gets these brilliant minds to work for them from_  Do you think everyone at the NSA is trained by the NSA_

Thats fine, I'm not here to sway your viewpoint.  I can see how you are willing to put blind faith in tor, I on the other hand can't.  I'm not saying that its "so broken", I'm saying that if someone wants to find out who you are while you are on tor, they can, it is possible, it has been done before, even the NSA has been able to do it with their inflated budget.  Theses guys said they did it with 3000 bucks and some free time.  I believe them, what better thing to talk about than you did something for 0.000001% (using your numbers) of the budget of the freaking NSA.  Like I said, it has been done before, and it will be done again in the future, all it takes is time and some poking and prodding.  

Also, let me ask you this,  lets say you are the NSA and you are using an exploit in tor to de anonymize users, are you going to file a bug report for tor so that they are aware of the issue_  or continue exploiting it to gain valuable information for as long as you can.  Do you think the NSA is looking out for the interests of the users of tor_ or for their own interests_ (the NSA that is)  

As far as me pointing you directly at the security flaw they used, I can't, but I find it humorous when Roger Dingledine says and I quote "The bug is a nice bug, but it isn't the end of the world. And of course these things are never as simple as "close that one bug and you're 100% safe"."

https://lists.torpro...uly/033956.html

That tells me that there is/was indeed a flaw.

Honestly, I don't think anythings safe from prying eyes anymore.   Some of the things in the NSA playset docs really were amazing, and whats worse is that info is over 5 years old.  I am willing to put my blind faith into the fact that the NSA has gotten better toys to work with in those 5 years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users