HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

G2 Technician - Engineer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Aura_Anima

Aura_Anima

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationINCOMING!

Posted September 13 2014 - 02:52 PM

Perhaps this has been suggested before, if I missed that thread I apologize.

With that being said, while the idea of a G2 Technician might seem unpopular I felt the need to come up with a concept for the next generation healer-class mech.

The Engineer mech is built upon the Class C chassis and will introduce a new style of play for those who often pick technicians to pilot.

The increased armor at the cost of speed may be troubling at first, making getting to your teammate to heal them more difficult, but it will be balanced out in the long run.

The Helix Repair torch MK-II heals only the target, removing the slight heal given to the user, in exchange it does slightly healing per second, and when fully repaired it provides "over-armoring" effectively increasing the maximum armor by up to 15% for 15 seconds. Ex: A Technician would be buffed from 315 to 362 armor, and so on.

When set to Deconstructor mode the torch does significantly less damage to the enemy at first, but builds up to it's max damage of roughly 75 armor per second (resets to starting power if deconstructor beam is interrupted. (vampire healing also has been removed)

The Engineer would be granted the following ability:

Overclock - Repairs all mechs in front of the Engineer for 5% of total armor every 2 seconds for 20 seconds. Deals half as much per 2 second tick in deconstruction damage to enemy mechs. Repairs the Engineer for roughly 3.5% per 2 second tick while active. This ability's effects drop off dramatically the further away the mech is.  

The Engineer would also receive a blockade item.
Teching and Decking since before I could hold a tool!
Attacking a medic, what are ya, a fool_
You can't stop this force of unnatural power!
Will you stay and fight, or just run and cower_
The Air Spirit gives you the right to breathe, cross him and that'll be the last gasp you draw.

#2 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted September 13 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostAura_Anima, on September 13 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

The Engineer would be granted the following ability:

Overclock - Repairs all mechs in front of the Engineer for 5% of total armor every 2 seconds for 20 seconds. Deals half as much per 2 second tick in deconstruction damage to enemy mechs. Repairs the Engineer for roughly 3.5% per 2 second tick while active. This ability's effects drop off dramatically the further away the mech is.

My first thought was 'Lord of the KillBall', but it doesn't actually heal that much.

So, if an Axe stands in front of the Engineer for 20 sec he gets back 50% armor. I got a few questions:

- What's the recharge rate on Overclock_
- Does the over-armoring also apply to the Overclock ability, or only to the Helix MK-II_ ('Cause that would be pretty awesome)
- Is the repair-rate of the Helix MK-II the same as current tech_
- Does the Redox modifier (aka enemy takes x% more damage) also apply on these damage sources (logically it should, seeing as it counts as damage taken).

I think the ability is interesting, seeing as it would play more a 'recovery' or 'prepping' role, but in combat he might be a bit useless. Well, I can actually imagine him taking on a bunch of C's, activating the ability and Redox-ing /Deconstructing away :). Slow and steady wins the race.

Good suggestion, very original :)!

Edited by Dr_Freeze001, September 13 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#3 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted September 13 2014 - 05:37 PM

Sorry Doc, but it's not very original

- C-class chassis is the choice for every G-2 Tech on forums
- Everyone uses Helix as secondary (even with the slight mods)
- And all abilities except mine have to do with healing

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#4 Aura_Anima

Aura_Anima

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationINCOMING!

Posted September 13 2014 - 06:24 PM

@ Dr_Freeze001

Okay to answer your questions:
-The recharge rate of the Overclock ability would be set at 60 seconds.
-The Over-armoring would apply to if the mech being healed by Overclock as long as it is fully repaired before the last tick of Overclock.
-According to what I could gather from my sources... (Hawken Wiki) The Helix repair torch heals 50 armor/second and does 15/s to self. Since the Helix Repair Torch MK-II removes the Ad-Hoc repairing, it does 55/s repairing.
-Finally, yes Redox does work with these abilities.

@ IronClamp

I didn't realize there were that many threads out there suggesting G2-Technicians, let alone Class C ones. Could you point me in their direction_
Teching and Decking since before I could hold a tool!
Attacking a medic, what are ya, a fool_
You can't stop this force of unnatural power!
Will you stay and fight, or just run and cower_
The Air Spirit gives you the right to breathe, cross him and that'll be the last gasp you draw.

#5 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted September 14 2014 - 05:25 AM

@ IronClamp

View PostIronClamp, on September 13 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

Actually, not at all. I remember a contest Wisp and I organized to make a g2 tech (https://community.pl...hl__competition) and out of the 10 serious contenders I can honestly only recall one or two C-class entries, and I have only seen one more G2 C-class tech suggestions since then. So yea, 27% is hardly "every suggestion".

Unless I forgot others, of course.

The Helix as you say is true tho, it would seem that is pretty normal to include that.

Real quick, by "all abilities exept mine" are you referring to this_ https://community.pl..._20#entry558811

The Overclock ability Aura_Anima suggests is very original, I've never heard of it at least, an AOE/proximity heal.

@ Aura_Anima

View PostAura_Anima, on September 13 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

-The recharge rate of the Overclock ability would be set at 60 seconds.
-The Over-armoring would apply to if the mech being healed by Overclock as long as it is fully repaired before the last tick of Overclock.
-According to what I could gather from my sources... (Hawken Wiki) The Helix repair torch heals 50 armor/second and does 15/s to self. Since the Helix Repair Torch MK-II removes the Ad-Hoc repairing, it does 55/s repairing.
-Finally, yes Redox does work with these abilities.

Hmmmm, so 1/3 (aka 20 sec/60 sec) use/wait ratio. I was thinking that the difficulty of using Overclocked was too high for it to have a 60 sec recharge, but 1/3 is very good actually. I'll be thinking about things a bit more, try to do some maths and brain stuff. See if the TTK would be reasonable or not overpowered.

Edited by Dr_Freeze001, September 14 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#6 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostDr_Freeze001, on September 14 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

@ IronClamp

View PostIronClamp, on September 13 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

Actually, not at all. I remember a contest Wisp and I organized to make a g2 tech (https://community.pl...hl__competition) and out of the 10 serious contenders I can honestly only recall one or two C-class entries, and I have only seen one more G2 C-class tech suggestions since then. So yea, 27% is hardly "every suggestion".

Unless I forgot others, of course.

The Helix as you say is true tho, it would seem that is pretty normal to include that.

Real quick, by "all abilities exept mine" are you referring to this_ https://community.pl..._20#entry558811

The Overclock ability Aura_Anima suggests is very original, I've never heard of it at least, an AOE/proximity heal.

Okay, I've only seem the "famous" concepts, which are primarily C-class.
And yes, that was what I meant (I had no idea you could find that), the objective was to make the Tech a tank, not a medic.
And also yes, Overclock is original.

#7 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted September 14 2014 - 11:50 PM

Uhg. Need less constant HPS leash ideas.

Projectile heals.
Burst heals.
Bring skillful timing and aiming back to healing!

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#8 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted September 15 2014 - 12:54 AM

No second tech. Most techs now play offensively with total disregard to their low health. A c class tech will make almost every tech play offense and be a burden on his team's shoulder.

Posted Image

#9 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted September 15 2014 - 01:08 AM

the game was so much better without technicians...

#10 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 15 2014 - 03:41 AM

View Postdorobo, on September 15 2014 - 01:08 AM, said:

Why do you say that_

#11 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted September 15 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostZeroSteelfist, on September 15 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

View Postdorobo, on September 15 2014 - 01:08 AM, said:

Why do you say that_

Maybe a wrong word I used by saying it was better but it was different no doubt. Was simpler and more pure maybe_ Less frustrating_ More about straight up action and less about camping_ Hawken has complicated and interesting enough weapon and movement mechanics without leach healing. I feel that technician muddles the overall experience too much. Some might even say that about air compressor :ph34r:

Edited by dorobo, September 15 2014 - 05:55 AM.

#12 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 15 2014 - 02:15 PM

It changes the feel, for sure. Seems like half the time people aren't sure how to work with a Tech or play as one as is..

#13 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted September 15 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on September 14 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

Projectile heals.
Burst heals.
YES!!!!!

Make helix torch mk.II shoot out repair orbs (small ones obviously) that either lie around or get instantly absorbed by mechs, also these orbs should be able to get used by enemy mechs too requiring careful use of this weapon.  Wait, don't do that.  I envision lots of people just dicking around healing enemies with it.  But it'd still be pretty cool

Or make it redox style and have it heal on hit or AOE but if you miss it heals less.

#14 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 15 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostInfyrno, on September 15 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on September 14 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

Projectile heals.
Burst heals.
YES!!!!!

Make helix torch mk.II shoot out repair orbs (small ones obviously) that either lie around or get instantly absorbed by mechs, also these orbs should be able to get used by enemy mechs too requiring careful use of this weapon.  Wait, don't do that.  I envision lots of people just dicking around healing enemies with it.  But it'd still be pretty cool

Or make it redox style and have it heal on hit or AOE but if you miss it heals less.

Pretty sure a lack of coordination, partially stemming from no working VOIP for teams leaves the Tech hard enough to work, dropping those orbs everywhere would be chaos as uninformed team members think they are under attack and run away from the healer (just like now).

#15 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 05:43 PM

Why are we blaming "technical debt" for players not understanding the function of a Tech_

#16 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 15 2014 - 05:58 PM

That was not really what I was trying to suggest. Moreso that it is difficult to coordinate with players unfamiliar with the class without voice comms in match. It would be easier if that was working. As is, it is not the Dev who is to blame for a players lack of understanding.

Hard to type to tell someone to stop running away from the medic mid battle, y'know_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users