HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Need a few new IPA's to try

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SamEureka

SamEureka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Locationall your base are belong to us

Posted September 22 2014 - 09:21 PM

I'm looking for some new beers to try. I'm sticking to IPA's though. My recent favorites are:
- Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA (bought a several cases of this seasonal, I'm running out...),
- Terrapin Hopsecutioner,
- Sweetwater IPA,
- Green Flash West Coast IPA,
- Green Flash Palate Wrecker

and my old standby... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

and suggestions_

tks in advance,
//Sam
Posted Image

#2 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted September 23 2014 - 05:07 AM

Torpedo's absolutely baller, but I've been really enjoying victory's Dirt Wolf.  It's 8.something%, and it leans the furthest toward the alcoholic pear flavor I like from IPAs without drifting into quad territory.  If you want something just as good but leaning a bit more toward torpedo's piney side, try sierra nevada hoptimum; it's a limited edition thing and it might already be gone, but they did it last summer too so I assume it's an annual seasonal thing.

Also, I wasn't crazy about hopsecutioner because it has that almost chocolatey flavor in it that some IPAs have that makes me retch.  Torpedo and dirt wolf don't have any of that flavor in them at all.

Edited by comic_sans, September 23 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#3 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 23 2014 - 07:27 AM

Any IPA by Southern Tier.

They all taste like someone shoved a garden in your mouth.

#4 Lasraik

Lasraik

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, N.M.

Posted September 23 2014 - 08:01 AM

Which state are you in_  Would help make suggestions based on availability

#5 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted September 23 2014 - 11:27 AM

Also 4 packs of craft beer are fuzzy bunny, even if 2 of them get me to about where driving is a weighted decision.

#6 SamEureka

SamEureka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Locationall your base are belong to us

Posted September 23 2014 - 02:25 PM

View Postcomic_sans, on September 23 2014 - 05:07 AM, said:

Torpedo's absolutely baller, but I've been really enjoying victory's Dirt Wolf.  It's 8.something%, and it leans the furthest toward the alcoholic pear flavor I like from IPAs without drifting into quad territory.  If you want something just as good but leaning a bit more toward torpedo's piney side, try sierra nevada hoptimum; it's a limited edition thing and it might already be gone, but they did it last summer too so I assume it's an annual seasonal thing.

Also, I wasn't crazy about hopsecutioner because it has that almost chocolatey flavor in it that some IPAs have that makes me retch.  Torpedo and dirt wolf don't have any of that flavor in them at all.

I forgot to list Hoptimum! I love that one, when I can find it. I have a Hoptimum Imperial t-shirt!

adding Dirt Wolf to my list! Thanks for thy input

View PostAmidatelion, on September 23 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

Any IPA by Southern Tier.

They all taste like someone shoved a garden in your mouth.

Adding to the list! I like gardens

View PostLasraik, on September 23 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

Which state are you in_  Would help make suggestions based on availability

I'm in Virginia Beach, VA. We have a Total Wines and Whole Foods, both have a very reasonable selection. Its just that there is too much to look at in the store and I get overwhelmed by all the choices! Then I end up grabbing the mentioned beers... defeated by too much selection.  

View Postcomic_sans, on September 23 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Also 4 packs of craft beer are fuzzy bunny, even if 2 of them get me to about where driving is a weighted decision.

price wise, totally fuzzy bunny! I prefer not to think about it... but you've hit in the most important thing.... the price to effect ratio is very nice! I don't have to drink 6 to feel super excellent
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users