HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Radar ideas

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scary_Guy

Scary_Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI, USA

Posted September 26 2014 - 11:16 PM

So I had an idea and I'm just throwing it out there.  Radar is only good for X/Y axis.  Why not have a Z axis radar too_  Could even make it an item upgrade as well.

Chasing red dots that I don't know if they're above or below me is a bit annoying is all.  There are two ways this could be implimented.  Either with a second/third circle along the N/S and E/W.  The second way (and this seems the easiest solution) color code them as yellow for below you and blue for above you (if anyone ever played the old game Elite+ they'd know what I'm talking about, so kina like that.)

Not to metnion I can't afford a fancy Rift, but I do have a second monitor (actually I have five.)  Using one of these for a dedicated radar screen would be very nice too.

#2 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted September 27 2014 - 04:49 AM

other than the arrow function as an indicator of level offset in 2D, i don't see it happening in the (currently annoying) HUD, as configured.
most likely we'll be stuck looking at arrows and trying to determine if it means above or below... :P

Edited by EM1O, September 27 2014 - 04:58 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#3 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted September 27 2014 - 06:41 AM

I don't think radar should become even more powerful than it is already.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#4 Scary_Guy

Scary_Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI, USA

Posted September 27 2014 - 03:03 PM

I think it would be good because then the radar jammer would be more useful than it currently is.

EM10 has a point though about the HUD being not the greatest.  I'd like more control over it like exact placement of radar say in bottom center, chat in top center, etc...  Or maybe have radar be mroe translucent and fill up the screen.

Hey, if the radar was more powerful they might not see our rockets coming for them because they'll be paying way too much attention to it, right_

Anyway I need to finish soldering this USB cable to my Steel Battalion controller.  I saw there were options for it and I want to try it out.  I'll see you guys in game :)

#5 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 27 2014 - 03:29 PM

A lot of players consider the Radar Over Powered or even Broken, so much so, that the top tier players refuse to use them.

IMO: If they are gonna introduce the Pred mech with its unlimited cloak then i see no problems with using Radar.  It pretty ridiculous to run an A class mech against a Pred.  If the Pred sneaks up on an A class, and it will 7 out of 10 times, its usually curtains for the A class.

Add the Up or Down arrows to Radar dots is not a bad idea in this current meta.

#6 Browno

Browno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted September 27 2014 - 04:00 PM

Don't we have those indicators_
The Arrows pointing up or down on radar at the dots tells you if they are above or below you. the further away the arrow is from the dot means they are higher above or lower below you, so you know where to shoot around corners if they fly for example.

#7 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted September 27 2014 - 04:33 PM

We are taking about the Scanner/Radar item that you can drop.

#8 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 27 2014 - 06:21 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on September 27 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

IMO: If they are gonna introduce the Pred mech with its unlimited cloak then i see no problems with using Radar.  It pretty ridiculous to run an A class mech against a Pred.  If the Pred sneaks up on an A class, and it will 7 out of 10 times, its usually curtains for the A class.

Cloak isn't the problem, its the seeing through walls and entirely negating an item that is.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#9 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted September 27 2014 - 06:33 PM

View PostSylhiri, on September 27 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostBurnsHot, on September 27 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Cloak isn't the problem, its the seeing through walls and entirely negating an item that is.

Ok...  Care to offer up any suggestions_

#10 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 27 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on September 27 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

Ok...  Care to offer up any suggestions_

I have a **** ton of suggestions but I'd be wasting my time since there isn't any devs here to read them. Even if I had a suggestion where everyone was in agreement (most likely Pred players would not), what are the chances of the devs actually using a player suggested fix about mech balance_

All I can do at this time in Hawken's lifecycle is point out a problem and prey the developers (it's going to take more then one, internal conflict and all that) understand what is wrong and think of a solution, as they are more keen into their own solutions then player made ones (see HAB), and finally get around to putting it in before they throw something else in to mess up balance so that we can enjoy it.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users