HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Environment factors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jappards

Jappards

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted October 18 2014 - 01:18 PM

Currently, it feels like the environment in the maps is too friendly, for example: Bunker, why is there no ice or mud; or last eco: why is there no quicksand_ That should change, because it would be interesting if you are running from the enemy, you notice the quicksand, but the enemy doesn't. It would also bring some more sense of vulnerbility to the game.

Environment factors:

Name: Quicksand.
Description: when you step on it, you sink, when your head is under, you die.
When in quicksand: try to hover out of it, when you press space bar, you will be lifted upwards.
Appearance: slightly lighter texture than normal sand
Maps: Facility

Name: Mud.
Description: you get slowed if you walk/run on it.
Maps: Last eco

Name: Fog
Description: limited visibility at a distance.
Maps: all, but a 10% chance to appear.

Name: Ice
Description: very slippery, if you run on it, you could slide further.
Maps: Bunker.

#2 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 18 2014 - 01:23 PM

there aren't environmental factors or anything of the sort because for the past year and a half hawken has tried too hard to cater to the hardcore arena-shooter-purist crowd, mostly to its detriment. I'd love environmental factors on each map, I feel it would add a lot of immersion and more simulator-style gameplay - but I suspect many would argue that it would take away precious perceived fairness and symmetry from the competitive and ultimately homogenized gameplay

Edited by Beefsweat, October 18 2014 - 01:39 PM.

Posted Image

#3 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted October 18 2014 - 01:32 PM

if i recall correctly, once upon a time it did have stuff like junk sticking up, holes, corners and structure projections that could slow you down, temporarily trap you (occasionally more than just temporary) or at least mess up a CQC really bad.  now all i think we have are a few "sticky" walls and rocks laying around.
i concur with beef.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#4 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted October 18 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 18 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

there aren't environmental factors or anything of the sort because for the past year and a half hawken has tried too hard to cater to the hardcore arena-shooter-purist crowd, mostly to its detriment. I'd love environmental factors on each map but I suspect many would argue that it would take away precious perceived fairness and symmetry from the competitive and ultimately homogenized gameplay

You can have whatever you want in a different mode. Curse those people who want balance so that it's fun for everyone, those ****ers.

The only attempt at catering to the hardcore crowd was when they lowered the TTK earlier this year, love to get your explanation on how exactly Ascension catered to the hardcore crowd.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#5 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 18 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostSylhiri, on October 18 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Curse those people who want balance so that it's fun for everyone, those ****ers.

and yet even today Hawken isn't fun for everyone, just going by forum and playtest reactions alone. yup, because there are no games that have ever been fun and balanced or even critically acclaimed, and utilized such scary concepts as 'fog of war' or 'asymmetry'. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#6 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted October 18 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 18 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

and yet even today Hawken isn't fun for everyone, just going by forum and playtest reactions alone. yup, because there are no games that have ever been fun and balanced or even critically acclaimed, and utilized such scary concepts as 'fog of war' or 'asymmetry'. :rolleyes:

I doubt the previous team was capable of that. I would be surprised if the testing team was over 1800 MMR range. Look at Sahara, they redone it multiple times and they still needed to rip it out from Siege. As much as I hate ranged classes, fog of war screws them over the most. You can't blame the competitive community because the Hawken developers don't know how to balance correctly.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users