HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

game looks rly staticy. doesnt look this way on youtube

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DrugxSirus

DrugxSirus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:23 PM

i looked on youtube and don't see anyone having the same problem, their games look clear. where mine looks rly staticy like it's an old tv. yet i have a rly good comp, subscore all 7 and above except my harddrive being a 5.9. so i don't get whats happening.

thought i'd let you folks know incase it's a bug. its kinda hard to play like that but im continue and report other bugs. or wat nots

#2 akazi

akazi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:25 PM

I think your talking about the film grain, it makes the game look staticy.
Hi, I'm new.

#3 DrugxSirus

DrugxSirus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:53 PM

how do i change it_

#4 DrugxSirus

DrugxSirus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:29 PM

reinstalling game to see  if that fixxes it, i think i didnt dl the net.framework.

#5 Wireball

Wireball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 06:51 PM

I notice it seemed a great deal less staticky when I upped my resolution from the default 1280x720 to 1920x1200.  Perhaps the static/grain is a fixed pixel size, and so gets smaller when the resolution gets higher.

#6 Wollygog

Wollygog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 06:55 PM

I managed to remove my film grain by changing one of the config files, can't remember which one it was, though.

But if you fiddle around in the files, you'll find it.
i5-2500k @ 4.3GHz | 8GB Mushkin Silverline memory | 1TB Sammy F3 | OCZ 60GB AG3 | Two other 500GB drives | Nvidia GTX 480 @ Stock clocks (for now) | Corsair H100 | ASUS P6Z68 Pro Gen3 | ASUS Xonar DG | HAF 932 | OCZ Fatal1ty 750w |

#7 DrugxSirus

DrugxSirus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 11:33 PM

i found out it doesnt do it if all my settings are on low it doesn't do the static look., which i dont understand, as i have gtx 560 video card and a 960 t amd processer with a gigabyte motherboard. just as good as my buddies, yet he plays on ultra with no problem at all.  idk if it's maybe a compatibility issue with my video card

Edited by DrugxSirus, October 26 2012 - 11:34 PM.

#8 EmFire

EmFire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:27 AM

You can remove the filmgrain by editing the "HawkenEngine" config file found in C:Users*Username*DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig

Find the line that reads "ImageGrainNoiseTextureName=EngineMaterials.Good64x64TilingNoiseHighFreq" and delete everything after the "=" so it reads as just "ImageGrainNoiseTextureName=".

Save the file and reload the game.

#9 Zither

Zither

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:44 AM

Sigh... Gamers...

The grain is an aesthetic choice and a post processing effect done on purpose. Thinking that it would be caused by bad graphics settings just implies you have no clue how games work.

Edited by Zither, October 27 2012 - 12:46 AM.

#10 Dark_Uncle

Dark_Uncle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:31 AM

View PostZither, on October 27 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

Sigh... Gamers...

The grain is an aesthetic choice and a post processing effect done on purpose. Thinking that it would be caused by bad graphics settings just implies you have no clue how games work.

OK after beta testing games for over 20 years I can see you have no concept of BETA Testing when you make such a statement.

First off Beta testers are just that, BETA TESTERS, not programmers nor developers. As a Beta Tester one should not have to go editing or changing in game code, script, nor lines at all!

If the DEVELOPERS wanted this to be just for Visual then they should have placed in the GRAPHICS SETTINGS OPTIONS the OPTION to turn it on or off end of discussion. Further how do you like it when someone goes on a rant and shows just how little you know in the process of treating you like a juvenile instead of an adult_ Not nice is it, take it as a lesson and treat people accordingly on forums please.

Now as to the original intent of the subject matter in question, the wording on your reply should have gone something like this.

1) It seems the grainy texture was intended to make it look retro or something of the like which shows the developers had no real basis of what actual electronic warfare is like.

2) Although it is not our job as Beta testers to do so, I have discovered that if you go to Line ":::" in the config file and make this change (§§§§§= so it reads as such §)))))§ then the grain visual is greatly reduced as was suggested in previous post above.

3) Now having said and shown this, I would suggest that if people do not wish to have this retro grain effect then in your Beta notes to the developers please let them know that an option in the graphics settings to turn this feature on or off would be an advantageous and worthwhile venture on future programming of the graphic settings menu.

I do hope this has helped resolve your current immediate problem however again I say, be sure to make mention of this as a like or dislike and your suggestions as a Tester on what you would or would not like to see in features to activate or deactivate this issue while in game which does not require the player to individually go into the code and rewrite script or programming lines.

Many thanks for brining this subject to light.

Edited by Dark_Uncle, October 27 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#11 Dark_Uncle

Dark_Uncle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:05 AM

Now I personally have went to check the suggested remove static line suggestion from the above poster and can say YES it makes the game 100% easier to see and play "no headaches this time".

Now having seen this I make the suggestion to the developers that in the graphics settings menu that you make this an "Option" to turn such static on or off. Which would resolve this issue for everyone upon game release removing the need of players to manually go into game line and make personal changes.

Of course I also saved a back up of the original file and will now replace it back to the games original program settings which unfortunately for me only seems to give me massive headaches after a round or three of sessions. The headache issue of course makes it totally unviable and undesirable for me as a gamer to play without the ability to remove this Status grain visual. I am really not sure why one would even consider placing it in the game as we had better graphics in DOS Mech warrior games when a player views this Static overlay.

I also noticed in the graphics settings menu there is no final "Save New Configuration Options" tab once changes have been made or simply an "APPLY" tab once changes have been done.

The Lag issue is still dramatic and my MS shoots through the roof if I play it in any of the graphics modes currently available on my NVIDIA card, Perhaps once I install the new system with the new 680, SSHD, DDRAM and such, this may change but will have to wait to see if such hard component changes alters anything on the next beta test series.

I can say with the grain or haze removed the graphics is very doable we just have to have the developers initiate needs changes to make this optional to gamers and figure what the problems are with all of this Lag in game.

Dark Uncle

Edited by Dark_Uncle, October 27 2012 - 05:06 AM.

#12 Zither

Zither

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 12:16 AM

I didnt make any statement about whether being able to remove the static as an option is a good idea or not, Yes it is a good idea. So i am not taking exception to the idea, meerly the assumption that the static is a bug to do with hardware.

As a developer myself, i beleive that gamers should have at least some knowledge on how things work if they want to give meaningful feedback.
I wouldnt be able to being to make meaningful criticism of great literature that would helpful to the authour as i dont have the knowledge on the subject to be able to criticise. Nor would your grandmother be able to give meaningful feedback to how well windows 7 is designed.

And yes I am an elitist fuzzy bunny.

#13 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 29 2012 - 12:20 AM

Hey, guys_

The UI was overhauled, and a number of options from the Alpha are not currently present. I don't think the current graphics options are the way it's going to be forever. It's a matter of making sure things work as much as possible. There's no point in giving someone something to test when you know it's broken.

So, give it time. Graphics options will probably change (and a few don't seem to work properly all the time). This is still a closed beta.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#14 DeadEyeSavage

DeadEyeSavage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostZither, on October 29 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

I didnt make any statement about whether being able to remove the static as an option is a good idea or not, Yes it is a good idea. So i am not taking exception to the idea, meerly the assumption that the static is a bug to do with hardware.

As a developer myself, i beleive that gamers should have at least some knowledge on how things work if they want to give meaningful feedback.
I wouldnt be able to being to make meaningful criticism of great literature that would helpful to the authour as i dont have the knowledge on the subject to be able to criticise. Nor would your grandmother be able to give meaningful feedback to how well windows 7 is designed.

And yes I am an elitist fuzzy bunny.

all i have to say is if u expect a tester to know any of this u need a reality check. its called "knowing your audience".

I understand it was done on purpose but when i saw 50+ videos of no grain for this game then get into the game and see it i get a bit confused.

at first i assume it is a GLITCH. since it wouldn't make sense to me. Since the videos i ahve seen show no grain effect.

of course after i search i found out it was done on purpose. I don't understand why. Since in my eyes the game looks 100% better without (after i found a way to disable it)

I also run the game at max settings at 1920x1080. Looks amazing.

Take care and seen you next time.
Moto: Never outnumbered, just more Targets!

#15 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:13 PM

Another amazing thread necro.

Really_

And the fact that this thread was taken seriously in the first place from someone's who's icon is a troll face...

#16 Neurofunk

Neurofunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 09:37 AM

I agree with Zither - having thought that film grain fx is a bug is unbelievable - it's been used on numerous titles before, some as old as Silent Hill 2.

Also people seem to treat alphas and betas like some kind of demo versions of full product - they shouldnt, these should be approached only by people with some basic (or a bit more advanced) computer knowledge.

#17 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 01 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostNeurofunk, on November 01 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Also people seem to treat alphas and betas like some kind of demo versions of full product - they shouldnt, these should be approached only by people with some basic (or a bit more advanced) computer knowledge.
"Alpha" should still be considered a raw unfinished work as likely to catch on fire and explode in a huge napalm-like rain of fail as play reasonably well, depending on how much time the devs managed to squeeze into bug cleanup between the time they had to freeze the code for a release and the deadline. The only exception to this, really, is the rise of indie developers so thunderstruck by how mind-blowingly successful Minecraft's alpha phase was for Mojang that they're selling their games just like Notch did. Leaving aside a few of the big names (Minecraft), it's still a small field.

But I think we have to blame Google for the unintended consequences of Gmail Beta Forever. The word "beta" has been rendered mostly meaningless unless you have a grasp on the basic nature of software releases.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#18 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 01 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostDeadEyeSavage, on October 31 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

I understand it was done on purpose but when i saw 50+ videos of no grain for this game then get into the game and see it i get a bit confused.

at first i assume it is a GLITCH. since it wouldn't make sense to me. Since the videos i ahve seen show no grain effect.

of course after i search i found out it was done on purpose. I don't understand why. Since in my eyes the game looks 100% better without (after i found a way to disable it)

I also run the game at max settings at 1920x1080. Looks amazing.

Take care and seen you next time.
Probably because most videos of the game don't really show it that well. I know it's apparent in my videos.

It does seem to have a much better "visibility" on darker maps, like Titan or Alleys, though.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#19 QuanZen

QuanZen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Location_...My GPS isn't working

Posted November 01 2012 - 06:23 PM

I only really notice it in my garage. All my settings for graphics are set to max. In Alpha we were able to type in commands to edit the grain out(ImageGrain 0). I'm sure once OB comes around this will be a Setting Option.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users