HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Mech abilities suggestions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:22 AM

I've pla...Tested the game since Alpha 2. And i'd like to suggest one feature that in my honest opinion would be pretty cool. :lol:
So, since the C-Class has the turret ability, the infiltrator the cloak, right_ Why do other mechs' abilities are so boring and unimaginative, providing simple stat boosts for their durations.
So i suggest making them more interesting, for example, let's say, for berserker - instead of having a boring stat boost, make it into something like a "lunge" forward, to you know, go along with its name, for example you use the ability to get in close and personal to the pesky sharpshooter, or quickly lunge behind cover.

The Assault, for example could get something like, maybe a "rocket jump", rocket assisted leap, or something along these lines, the mech would vertically jump much faster and higher than you would reach using the jumpjets.

Sharpshooter could get something like, lets call it, "Stabilize", it would maybe make the mech "crouch" for example, decreasing its movement speed but removing the accuracy penalty for moving, but would take, maybe half a second or so to get out of it, to balance it out.

Also the turret modes on the C-class are kind of underwhelming, for example, maybe one mech could get "Impenetrable fortress",protect the mech from BULLET based weapons by making them ricochet, bounce off the shield (even when not deployed (but only from above) it would prevent sharpshooters (and [REDACTED]) from facerolling them, making their shots bounce off the front or top (depending on whether its deployed or not) but imo wouldn't be too overpowered, because lowered mobility would allow them to be easily flanked. Regarding the explosions, i believe the mech should still take damage from them, albeit decreased. (maybe 25% less damage from explosions hitting the shield)
Other mech could get "Raging bull" or something (im horrible at thinking up names :lol:) charge whatever. It's pretty self explanatory, your mech charges forward, just forward, no dodging left or right, would deal, and knock back enemies that you hit.

A-anyway, im starting to rant now, so i'll stop, but seriously just think about it and ill be happy about it ^_^
Edited for easier reading, less wall of text :lol:
Attached File  x).png   255.46K   28 downloads

Also I'd love to see more people suggest different kind of ideas for the abilities :)

Edited by Juodvarnis, October 29 2012 - 05:44 AM.

Posted Image
*sigh*

#2 dRiftZed

dRiftZed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBrussels, Belgium

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:32 AM

Some really good ideas. I agree in most cases, mainly for the Assault class.

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz | MSI Z77A-G45 | Sapphire HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

R.E.I.G.N
Steel & Blood

#3 Ninjaman999

Ninjaman999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:13 AM

Very awesome ideas indeed ^_______^
I was thinking some weapons could add optional powers you can choose adding ability variety. For example, they could give a rail gun to the sniper that uses energy purpulsion. A skill would be accessible when this is equipped where you can overcharge a single shot for crazy damage at the cost of almost instant overheating. It could make for scary guerilla tactics...

#4 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostNinjaman999, on October 27 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

I was thinking some weapons could add optional powers you can choose adding ability variety. For example, they could give a rail gun to the sniper that uses energy purpulsion. A skill would be accessible when this is equipped where you can overcharge a single shot for crazy damage at the cost of almost instant overheating. It could make for scary guerilla tactics...
Risk=Reward, great idea mate.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#5 Ninjaman999

Ninjaman999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:28 AM

Thanks bro, we need more risk to make the game exciting and thought provoking not to mention adding a bit of randomness to add longevity (its a huge factor to counter strike's longevity ) :3

#6 TheFrostnessMonster

TheFrostnessMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:33 AM

Yah, those are some good ideas. but I'm just mad that i have to re-buy all my mechs from Alpha 2. :(

#7 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:17 AM

I combined this post with the first one.
Why_

Edited by Juodvarnis, October 29 2012 - 05:40 AM.

Posted Image
*sigh*

#8 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 05:50 AM

Hmm, I never put much thought about infiltrator's cloak. However I think it could be improved, by making it slightly different. Instead of activate it and you can only use it after the cooldown (which is pretty lengthy). I'd suggest making it in a way similar to the way fuel and boosting works. It could be turned on and turned off at will, but would have an energy gauge like the cloak in Tf2 or it could even use the same fuel as boosting and jumpjets. It would make it much more skillful and increase the skill ceiling for using the class.
I would also suggest making the cloak less visible while standing still.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#9 p4g3m4s7r

p4g3m4s7r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 03:02 PM

I really like the abilities as is (except the turret, though I think people are figuring out how to make it great). Some classes, by their nature, will have boring special abilities.

View PostNinjaman999, on October 27 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

Risk for reward is good when what you risk is much worse than what you gain from the reward. If it's an even trade, you would never want to not use it when it's a valid option. For instance, the best play option for this weapon would be to determine if you have more mechs in your group than theirs, and immediately use the ability if you do. Also, if you have the jump on a mech with low enough health that you would kill it in one shot with the charge, your best tactical advantage is almost always to just use the charge.

What sounded like a neat and dynamic ability actually turns into a potentially unabalance-able insta-kill option. What might've seemed like a challenging tactical decision is actually a simple and boring numbers game.

Edited by p4g3m4s7r, October 29 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#10 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 29 2012 - 04:41 PM

I think the turret mechs could be greatly improved by just allowing them to soak a little more damage if shots hit them in the shields. Even undeployed.

It'd certainly save me a headache when dealing with assaults that like to jump above me and rocket the ground near me.
Posted Image

#11 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 05:33 PM

100% agreed.
/signed
Chicks dig giant robots.

#12 Saunders

Saunders

Game Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 06:57 PM

I can't go into detail, but you can definitely expect much more interesting and unique Abilities in the future, as well as updates to the current ones ;D
David Saunders | Game Designer on HAWKEN @ Adhesive Games

#13 Rotaken

Rotaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationMilk cartoon

Posted October 29 2012 - 08:49 PM

EVEN MOAR SPEED FOR CLASS A_ Sounds amazingly unbalanced cause after that they would  be so fast that even their natural enemy, snipers, would not be able to counter them effectively. Berserker could use something else than dmg boost though.

#14 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:56 PM

View PostSaunders, on October 29 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

I can't go into detail, but you can definitely expect much more interesting and unique Abilities in the future, as well as updates to the current ones ;D
Glad to hear. ^_^

View PostRotaken, on October 29 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

EVEN MOAR SPEED FOR CLASS A_ Sounds amazingly unbalanced cause after that they would  be so fast that even their natural enemy, snipers, would not be able to counter them effectively. Berserker could use something else than dmg boost though.
Well, it would in my opinion be like the sideways dodge, but only forward. Hmm I just noticed a pattern in my suggestions, almost all make fighting SS (Not Schutzstaffe, but Sharpshooters) easier
Posted Image
*sigh*

#15 Rotaken

Rotaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationMilk cartoon

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostJuodvarnis, on October 29 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

Well, it would in my opinion be like the sideways dodge, but only forward. Hmm I just noticed a pattern in my suggestions, almost all make fighting SS (Not Schutzstaffe, but Sharpshooters) easier

I think it would be quite boring to have such special ability as to dash forward. Unless it would be permanent and accessible at all times giving there's enough fuel left. Also it wouldn't have much use against other than SS and Snipers (there was 2 different types of long range mechs right_)
Maybe you got killed couple of too many times by sniper_ I can say that they are my sworn enemy as I hate them with all my essence :D

#16 Angel_of_Shadows

Angel_of_Shadows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:14 PM

I have only had the glory of testing hawken for a little bit but a few things that I think could be added/tweaked:

1. Damaging body parts- one of the things that I learned very quickly is that the rocketeers have alot of firepower advantage in a head on fight and have are deadly in alleys. I would like the ability to damage/destroy parts (rocket launchers/ arm cannons) if I focus my fire power on a specific part. granted it would be difficult to keep balanced but in a team fight its a quick way to neutralize the strongest enemies and can give snipers more options other than focusing for kill shots and recon.

2. grenade launchers/corner shot weapons-  for obvious reasons, keeps players on their toes when running or setting up ambushes

3. spotting system/laser designator systems (lds)- I havent done any tdm type matches yet so if this is already implemented ignore it. but if it isn't... even if the spoting system only shows aproxcimate locations on the radar, lds would provide on screen precise locations for allies and could even allow missle units to fire beyond-line-of site which would increase teamwork capabilities and even aid in recon (provided there are more game types than tdm/ffa

4. smokescreen/flares/other decoy devices- so far it seems that the only way to avoid missles is to get my slow moving mech behind a wall before the fast moving missle hits me. not cool.  also using smokescreen to escape and/or setup an ambush would be really useful.

thats all i can think of for now. critisisms welcome.

#17 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:46 AM

I like the ideas mate!

For the infiltrator, once you're spotted "spotted" and you go into cloak, you still get the red outline on an enemies HUD. Would be nice to get rid of the outline if you "combat cloak" or something. I've been mainly playing the infiltrator, and I rarely cloak unless I wanna sneak behind a sharpy (ok ... or other enemies) with a fully charged heat cannon ready to fire ...

Since most of the primary weapons are bullet based, wouldn't that slightly imbalance the C-Class mechs if they can deflect bullets_ Would be good if not all, but some of the bullets get deflected, eg. 30% of them or something_
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#18 Ninjaman999

Ninjaman999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, the cloaking ideas are awesome since people are more likely to use CLoak on and off for situations instead of one off affairs...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users