HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Please Remove the "Fuzz" Filter

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ArchetypeZero

ArchetypeZero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:23 AM

I love this game, its insanely fun, and siege mode was a fantastic idea. The one thing that turns me off the most is the "Fuzz" filter over the video that makes it look like a low quality TV broadcast. its not distracting or anything, but as a personal preference i just hate it. Maybe add a toggle to turn it off in the video options_

#2 NotYourself

NotYourself

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:34 AM

+1

I've seen this in a few games (Silent Hill, Mass Effect), and it may good for depth of experience for some.  I find it a bit distracting at times and would love to see an option to turn it off though.

#3 TerranCmdr

TerranCmdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:24 AM

I disagree, I think it adds a lot to the ambiance of the game.  I would't mind an option to turn it off to keep other people happy though.
Awesome Sentium logo in my avatar by erathic

#4 SweetTooth

SweetTooth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:49 AM

I believe it's called cell shading, or some such. It's supposed to mimick your eyes to blur the unrealistic edges of the game. Makes the game immersive.

Mass Effect also had it, and it was an aspect I enjoyed in both games for the extra immersion.

#5 IgnoranceIsBliss

IgnoranceIsBliss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:17 PM

'Cell Shading' is actually how you make 'cartoonish' characters - it changes the way objects are drawn to give the effect of a hand-drawn world by boosting edges and making lighting less smooth.

This would simply be called a 'noise filter' - and I agree that while it does make things look a little more realistic by blurring the world, it is distracting and perhaps a little too strong.

I'm also confused by WHERE in the real world this amount of noise would be happening. If your cockpit had screens fed from cameras outside the Mech, we ALREADY have the technology to produce nice screens and virtually noise-free cameras - I don't know why they would be so much worse on mechs. The filter is also applied over your cockpit, so it it can't be on cockpit screens anyway.

The only plausable reason for that much noise to be there in reality would be that the pilot is wearing some kind of goggles or headgear to give them the HUD. And if they were that noisy, I honestly don't know if there is that much benefit to wearing them.

#6 Th4nis

Th4nis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:21 PM

It's called film grain in many games, it's supposed to give a *surprise surprise* film effect to the game. I've already checked that in the complete list of user interface improvements. I agree that there should at least be an option to deactivate this feature.

#7 SweetTooth

SweetTooth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:24 PM

Regardless of name, I believe it adds more than it takes away from the title.

Also, keep in mind the game has a very Ghost In the Shell feel to it.
That's an integral element of that show, as far as I know

Edited by SweetTooth, October 27 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#8 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:36 PM

Remove it_ No. Add a slider/toggle to reduce/remove it in the advanced options menu_ Yes please!

Posted Image

#9 TiberianFiend

TiberianFiend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:38 PM

Film grain, motion blur, color grading, and lens flare in video games all need to go die in a fire.

#10 SweetTooth

SweetTooth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostImmie, on October 27 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Remove it_ No. Add a slider/toggle to reduce/remove it in the advanced options menu_ Yes please!

Probably the best suggestion.

If anything 25% - 100% ambient occlusion gradient bar

Edited by SweetTooth, October 27 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#11 Sylvari

Sylvari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 05:04 AM

Yes, we need a slider the reduce the film grain effect. With the current level of film grain, playing longer than 10 minutes just gives me a huge headache. When your aesthetic choices start giving people medical problems, it is time to start doing something about it. This is one of the things Mass Effect did right. Without an option to remove or greatly reduce the film grain, this game is nearly unplayable for me.

#12 Tokkaebi

Tokkaebi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationT’aebaek

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:36 AM

Toggling this would be great, especially for someone running the game on a system like mine (rather old). If I'm just spectating or repairing, the game runs super smooth. The second this filter (along with the other flashy items in the HUD) pop up, my game chugs. So I'm all for options like filters having an on/off option, or a slider like others suggested. I would *not* suggest removing it completely, because it adds a great feel to the game for those that can or want to run it.

#13 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:58 AM

They fixed the way I could turn it off before :(

#14 AmericanWolf

AmericanWolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:06 AM

There is a good mix of people who really like this feature and those that don’t.  The idea of a toggle or slider to adjust the intensity of the effect seems like a very reasonable compromise that can make everyone happy. :)
Posted Image

#15 Scalia

Scalia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:31 AM

in alpha you could turn it off in the console. I cant remember the command now.

#16 HazaRDReborN

HazaRDReborN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:02 AM

It's mostly a film grain, the reasons for it are not realism. When I walk around in real life I don't see things film-grained (if you know what I mean) instead I see what we all see, perfect clarity. On the contrary it makes it unrealistic because it looks like an old tv broadcast. Not exactly unrealistic, I think a more fitting way to describe it is that immerse you less into the game, making a feel of something between you and the world like in a TV, ofcourse this is simply personal taste and we might not all agree.
I don't hate it, but I really don't like it when compared to clarity. I found that we can turn it off in the beta by putting the graphics detail to low. This is not a solution however, I would really like to see an option for it to toggle on/off.
Again, since we are in a cockpit, it isnt a huge problem and I like it much more than what I did in other games (Mass Effect for eg) because it feels fitting, however the option to turn it off would be nice.

#17 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostScalia, on October 28 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

Read my previous comment.. its been disabled.

#18 She

She

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJersey, CI

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostScalia, on October 28 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

I think it was like "show imagegrain 0" or filmgrain, not sure, doesn't work now anyway. And even before you couldn't join any server as it was classified a "cheat". And now it seems like the console just doesn't even do anything at all.

Please though, this needs to be an option. I massively preferred having it off when testing it out in training. There was no significant loss of ambiance. And besides, something like that should be up to the player to decide.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users