HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

60 fps max_

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 0ut1awed

0ut1awed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:46 PM

So is there a currently fps cap in place_ Even with the smoothed cap off I get a maximum fps of 60.

Edited by 0ut1awed, October 27 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#2 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:56 PM

It's not recommended that you edit the BaseEngine.ini file located in your MeteorEntertainmentHawkenInstalledHawkenFilesEngineConfig folder if you do a simple search for these two settings you can edit the SmoothedFramerates.

MinSmoothedFrameRate=59
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

Just change the max and test it out but sometimes too much can cause problems so be careful.

Edited by SilentCid, October 27 2012 - 12:57 PM.

Posted Image

#3 SlowPWNY

SlowPWNY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostSilentCid, on October 27 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

It's not recommended that you edit the BaseEngine.ini file located in your MeteorEntertainmentHawkenInstalledHawkenFilesEngineConfig folder if you do a simple search for these two settings you can edit the SmoothedFramerates.

MinSmoothedFrameRate=59
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

Just change the max and test it out but sometimes too much can cause problems so be careful.

i THINK that the ones in the install folder is the "base" settings or defaults. the ones that you need to edit are in DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig

#4 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostSlowPWNY, on October 27 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

View PostSilentCid, on October 27 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

MinSmoothedFrameRate=59
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

i THINK that the ones in the install folder is the "base" settings or defaults. the ones that you need to edit are in DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig

Normally other Unreal Engine powered games typically has what you've suggested; however, the ones you're talking about are the DefaultEngine.ini in that folder. The setting bSmoothFrameRate=True should have underneath MinSmoothedFrameRate=59
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60 but when doing a search I didn't see these options in there only the base.

If anyone wants they could add these two settings underneath bSmoothFrameRate=True in the DefaultEngine.ini file before messing with the BaseEngine.ini file first. In fact I recommend testing that one out first.

Posted Image

#5 0ut1awed

0ut1awed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:48 AM

Aren't both of those values referencing "smoothed" fps, meaning smoothed fps would need to be turned on_

I was getting a 60fps cap with smoothed OFF.

Also there is no file named "DefaultEngine.ini" under the "documents" directory...

Posted Image

Edited by 0ut1awed, October 28 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#6 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:58 AM

Other Unreal Engine powered games the MaxSmoothedFrameRate variable when bSmoothFrameRate=True governs the capped maximum framerate. Turning off bSmoothFrameRate turns off the assist that prevents FPS spikes. Being what you say capped at 60 doesn't mean it's actually capped at that.

Edited by SilentCid, October 28 2012 - 09:00 AM.

Posted Image

#7 0ut1awed

0ut1awed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:26 PM

Okay, I feel extremely stupid trying to decipher these replies. What I gathered from the last one is smoothed cap off means fps spikes can happen but I am still going to stick around 60fps_ (Which again to be redundant, I am sitting at 60 even with it off).

And if so are we back at square one where I need to try and edit values in a specific .ini file_ If that's the case then as I showed above, there is no "DeafultEngine.ini" in the directory that SlowPWNY suggested.

Thanks!

#8 Saer

Saer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:36 AM

Would also like to know why the fps is locked in at 60 now, not very happy as I have a 120hz monitor that is not being fully taken advantage of.

#9 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:02 AM

Increasing the bSmoothFramerate min and max settings should uncap the frame rate. This should be consistent across all Unreal Engine 3 games.

Playing uncapped with all settings maxed I was able to reach upwards of 130 FPS in some areas (and ~300 in menus), but this quickly dropped to between 50 and 80 FPS whenever anything drastic was going on, whenever multiple mechs were on screen at once, or whenever looking over a map in its entirety. Recording the average FPS over the course of ten matches of Siege on Titan with the frame rate uncapped I was able to average 59.8 FPS.

Edited by Roundlay, October 31 2012 - 03:05 AM.

#10 Lithium03

Lithium03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:32 AM

View Post0ut1awed, on October 28 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Aren't both of those values referencing "smoothed" fps, meaning smoothed fps would need to be turned on_

I was getting a 60fps cap with smoothed OFF.

Also there is no file named "DefaultEngine.ini" under the "documents" directory...

Posted Image

The Defaultxxxxx.ini files are located where you installed hawken (e.g. c:program filesmeteor entertainmenthawken) and are used to reset your setting, so they should be left alone. The ones you can change are in documentsmy gameshawken...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users