HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Indicate on the radar who is using the in-game VOIP.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:14 AM

Just have a blip show up on the radar when a person is using the in-game voip.

Because of the alien nature of the environment, it's really difficult to contextualize where someone is and relay that information. Because of the fast paced nature of the game takes too long to explain where they are. We get a lot of "shoot that guy" or "Look out for the guy behind the thing" and it's not the most useful information, mostly because it lacks context.

If you added an indication of who is speaking to the radar itself we would get a whole mess of extra information.

Who is talking_
Where are they_
What direction are they facing_
How close are they to me_
Does this information pertain to me in my current situation_

Just making the friendly player indicator flash yellow and fade out after a second or so would be good. Couple this with the little avatar of the player popping up and maybe a comms symbol over the head of mechs in your immediate view and it's even better.

This would also be an incentive for the players to use the in-game VOIP instead of Teamspeak or Mumble. People see your neato avatar and get bonus contextual info.
Posted Image

#2 Th4nis

Th4nis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:18 AM

Will link this topic in the complete list of possible improvements under "ingame ui improvements" (http://community.pla...n-improvements/)

suggestion: Name of the player (including a location and/or distance from the player in either meters/feet) with different color if ally/foe in the in-game chat feed.

Edited by Th4nis, October 28 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#3 Devildoc

Devildoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:27 AM

Was in a match earlier where we were just all thinking this.

Chat UI in general needs to be a bit better, and there needs to be a way to recall the previous chat messages, separate from Kill messages.

#4 roofle

roofle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:28 AM

I like this idea. It would be handy to have a use for the internal avatars in your profile inside the game, have that pop up in the corner every time someone says something, or even their name. As it is the voice system is really nice and clear, but I don't see it being used a lot in the current state it's in.

#5 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:38 AM

View Postroofle, on October 28 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

I like this idea. It would be handy to have a use for the internal avatars in your profile inside the game, have that pop up in the corner every time someone says something, or even their name. As it is the voice system is really nice and clear, but I don't see it being used a lot in the current state it's in.

One of the biggest things I'm seeing with in-game VOIP is that people are afraid of people they don't know being awful so they mute it and stick to their private VOIP, Have a large network of people who already use TS or Mumble so don't bother with "pubbies", or can't find the button. (Left Control, scroll down in the keybinds to verify.)

I think making the in-game voice so useful that it outshines the alternatives is the best way to make sure your community communicates well and ultimately stays a little closer. Some games have communities that are active, but incredibly torn because there's no good way to communicate through the game. They form cliquey clans and use private mumbles constantly.
Posted Image

#6 roofle

roofle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 06:20 AM

I agree with that, it's a little unclear (to me at least) if it's "all talk" or "team talk" when you use voice chat, and I think everyone else has that same issue ,so no one uses it outside of the rare "GG."

#7 UjestShurly

UjestShurly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSterling Heights MI, USA

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:11 AM

I would us the in game VoIP, but it does not work.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

#8 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:03 AM

As for now, radar shows enough info, IMO. I'd rather render a list of your team mates on the corner of the screen plus certain cegree of transparency and then add an little icon to show when they talk or not.Just an idea though.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#9 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:14 AM

Or highlight their name on the hud like most other games do. So it won't give away any gameplay elements. Got a mech on screen_ Their name highlights on the hud. They speak_ The name gets a mic icon. If not on your screen/not speaking nothing shows. :)

#10 Zone22

Zone22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 01:09 PM

For sure it's the best quality in game VOP I've ever heard

Edited by Zone22, October 29 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#11 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'm really impressed with the quality of the voice integration. The only problems I've heard are usually someone garbled saying "Sorry, I have a fuzzy bunny old mic." And all is explained.
Posted Image

#12 EmFire

EmFire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:34 AM

Great OP. Totally needed for strategising. BTW CakeBandit, your sig and profile picture are exactly like what I think when I see some of the mechs, however it's in a loving sort of way. Lol.

#13 Toneh-cc-

Toneh-cc-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:02 AM

View PostFluxX, on October 28 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Or highlight their name on the hud like most other games do. So it won't give away any gameplay elements. Got a mech on screen_ Their name highlights on the hud. They speak_ The name gets a mic icon. If not on your screen/not speaking nothing shows. :)
This right here is the best solution.

#14 noten

noten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:13 AM

I'm sure this will be implemented soon enough.

#15 EmuRage

EmuRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostCakeBandit, on October 28 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

Just have a blip show up on the radar when a person is using the in-game voip.
...If you added an indication of who is speaking to the radar itself we would get a whole mess of extra information.

I really wish every game did this. Especially in Battlefield and other shooters. If I'm close enough that I'd be able to hear you shout, show on the map where it's coming from. Even just giving me a directional indicator would be better than nothing.

#16 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'd just like a text message showing who is talking so I can tell them to close their mic or at least know who to mute!

Annoying when someone isn't using Push-to-talk and has an open mic on or is talking in TS/Mumble/Ventrilo and doesn't realize CTRL is also for in-game mic activate.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users