HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Almost no feedback on special abilities

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 She

She

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJersey, CI

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:52 AM

OK so let me just explain quickly:

Playing sharpshooter, when using the special ability to boost dmg, I have no idea when it is activated. There is only a cooldown. I don't know for how long it's activated or if it's even working at all. Now maybe I'm missing something but if so then it can't be very obvious.

Need some kind of feedback on activated abilities, like some text on the GUI or something, please. And same for all other mech types that need it ofc.

#2 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:54 AM

I've noted that the special abilities usually last 5 seconds. The ability is active from the moment you press the "F" key (by default).
Posted Image

#3 Ai

Ai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:15 AM

if you look at the top left corner - you will see the count down for the ability when its active, but I do think its hard to see in the heat of a battle.
I liked the old way to show it better.

#4 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:17 AM

Special abilities could do with a change. They really are not clear on the activation or cooldown. Well, it's clear, just up in the corner out of sight, and not very bright. :/

#5 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostAi, on October 28 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

I liked the old way to show it better.
+1
I liked that yellow bar quickly depleting.

#6 Trisomy21

Trisomy21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:33 AM

Tried it but never even noticed whether or not it was activated, perhaps a sound and the yellow bar would help.

#7 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, I can't actually ever tell if my ability is activated. Most of the time my ability never seems to activate. I can mash that key all day and nothing happens. Another interesting keybinding problem I've encountered is that whenever I press the number keys to select my items, they automatically launch when I hit the number instead of selecting it and pressing "R". Has anyone else encountered this_

Edited by Beefsweat, October 28 2012 - 10:58 AM.

Posted Image

#8 She

She

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJersey, CI

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 28 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Yeah, I can't actually ever tell if my ability is activated. Most of the time my ability never seems to activate. I can mash that key all day and nothing happens. Another interesting keybinding problem I've encountered is that whenever I press the number keys to select my items, they automatically launch when I hit the number instead of selecting it and pressing "R". Has anyone else encountered this_
Yep this is a known issue, I believe it's a bug, since the keybindings state equip item not use it. It's kinda useful though once you get used to it.

#9 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:18 AM

It may be the "use" over "equip" was a last minuet change. I would have expected a toggle/option in the keyboard/game settings for that. If it's missing I think they will add it after the beta. It should work as a select, with the possibility of you changing it to a use, AFAIK. So sounds like a little bug or oversight.

#10 Verlust

Verlust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHollywood.

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:02 PM

Do all abilities have a recharge_ It seems like the C class is the one one who can use it more than once a life_ Or am i wrong... never know where the cool down is if there is one.

#11 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think the visual feedback is fine, there just needs to be an audio indication of some sort that it's been activated, or is currently active.  Either the friendly cockpit voice, or the sound of an energy pack charging up, or whatever.

#12 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:29 PM

Good feedback guys, ability use will be more clear in the future.  We're also working on indicating when other players are using their abilities, and making abilities in general more unique.

#13 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:33 PM

If I may add, I think the cockpit VO needs to come up in volume, or maybe compress it more, or something, because I can barely hear or understand it during normal gameplay.
Posted Image

#14 LAZER

LAZER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hello all,

I don't much like the change to the special ability feedback. I liked the yellow bar and i think it had a sound also. When zoomed in on the Sharpshooter, there is now way to see remaining time on the counter or when it gets recharged. You cant even see health for the matter when scoped. Need to be fixed. It really hurts your awareness and planing when special ability and health is not visible during scope. The ability counter is a little small, and does need a HUD component when active.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users