HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Tow Launcher

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BloodyEyes

BloodyEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:00 PM

I cant figure this weapon out.  Sometimes it seems to lock on to enemies and others it seems like I have to ram the missile in their face to get it to hit.  Anyone able to clarify how this weapon acquires targets.

#2 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostBloodyEyes, on October 28 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

I cant figure this weapon out.  Sometimes it seems to lock on to enemies and others it seems like I have to ram the missile in their face to get it to hit.  Anyone able to clarify how this weapon acquires targets.

TOW is a fire and pray type missile. There is no locking at all...

Its why Hellfires > TOW

#3 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:02 PM

You can detonate the TOW rocket after you launch it, kind of like an airburst grenade launcher.
Posted Image

#4 BloodyEyes

BloodyEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostJuiceBox, on October 28 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Its why Hellfires > TOW

So what you are saying is that it functions like a really slow bullet....good to know.

#5 BloodyEyes

BloodyEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 28 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

You can detonate the TOW rocket after you launch it, kind of like an airburst grenade launcher.

How do you do that_

#6 vince

vince

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostBloodyEyes, on October 28 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

How do you do that_

By default it is middle mouse button. It's whatever you bind "weapon utility" to in the options.

#7 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostBloodyEyes, on October 28 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

View PostBeefsweat, on October 28 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

How do you do that_

Hit your weapon utility key. The way I have it set up, I just right click to fire the TOW and right click again to detonate it. The TOW rocket doesn't make a lot of since since it's not an actual TOW rocket. TOW stands for "Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-command data link" i.e. a fire-by-wire guidable missile, so in effect it's not a TOW rocket at all. IMO they should change the name to avoid confusion with nerds like me.

Edited by Beefsweat, October 28 2012 - 12:06 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:06 PM

You can also make the rocket explode by pressing the right mouse button second time while it's in flight.

The weapons isn't bad, but it's trajectory is very weird and random, and often misses enemies when it really should have hit. It's explosion radius is quite small too.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#9 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostJuodvarnis, on October 28 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

You can also make the rocket explode by pressing the right mouse button second time while it's in flight.

The weapons isn't bad, but it's trajectory is very weird and random, and often misses enemies when it really should have hit. It's explosion radius is quite small too.

+1, for this reason I save the TOW primarily for mid-range encounters or when I know I can land a decently close hit with it.
Posted Image

#10 BloodyEyes

BloodyEyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostJuodvarnis, on October 28 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Like a water balloon duct taped to a bottle rocket.

#11 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostJuiceBox, on October 28 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Its why Hellfires > TOW
Skilled players can evade Hellfires with a fair amount of ease.
A well aimed, detonated TOW is damn hard to avoid.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#12 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:10 PM

If you employ it effectively, it chunks the hell out of any mech. A direct hit drops 5 or 6 bars of health, I think.
Posted Image

#13 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:46 PM

The TOW is a very versatile secondary.  It's airburst is useful for hitting targets who are behind cover, if they dash behind a wall just shoot it anyways and set it off once it passes the wall.  It's dirrect damage is painful and it's splash damage is nothing to scoff at either.
Posted Image

#14 Analysis

Analysis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 05:23 PM

I love the TOW. I've killed several mechs before with one TOW do to its splash. The assualt mech with TOW is money.

#15 Shackram

Shackram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 28 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

The TOW rocket doesn't make a lot of since since it's not an actual TOW rocket. TOW stands for "Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-command data link" i.e. a fire-by-wire guidable missile, so in effect it's not a TOW rocket at all. IMO they should change the name to avoid confusion with nerds like me.

The first time i fired a TOW rocket in game i was left wondering "Why is it called a TOW if i can't guide it_"

Also didn't know you could blow it up on command.

#16 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostShackram, on October 30 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

View PostBeefsweat, on October 28 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

The TOW rocket doesn't make a lot of since since it's not an actual TOW rocket. TOW stands for "Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire-command data link" i.e. a fire-by-wire guidable missile, so in effect it's not a TOW rocket at all. IMO they should change the name to avoid confusion with nerds like me.

The first time i fired a TOW rocket in game i was left wondering "Why is it called a TOW if i can't guide it_"

Also didn't know you could blow it up on command.
I really think it'd be a good idea if they renamed it.
In gamer culture, TOW is pretty much known as that sort of guidable missile. It's very misleading.
Granted, it won't take long to get used to how it works, but if you've ever used a TOW in another game, you'll probably be left thinking "WTF_ Is this bugged or something_" for a while.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#17 Sinj

Sinj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationStamford, CT USA

Posted October 30 2012 - 06:27 PM

It's one of my favorite weapons I can almost always hit a moving enemy with it, it took a while to figure out how to best use it but once I did I fell in love with it.
Posted Image

#18 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:33 PM

I've got to admit I'm super impressed with the Assault loadout.

Between the different ways to use the missile as a utility and the subtleties of using the MG effectively, there's a pretty high skill ceiling to get yourself up to. But if you're not of a mind to go mincing about with piddly heat/accuracy mechanics you can still just slap the SMG on there and have yourself a grand ol time. Being compettitive the whole way through.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users