HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

I love the start up screen for siege

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ari_Atari

Ari_Atari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationU.S. in NY

Posted October 28 2012 - 06:33 PM

I really love the whole system startup that displays right before a siege match starts. In addition, it was also nice to see that every so often, something actually posted "FAIL" when starting up. First one I got was mechanical subsystems, for which I instantly thought "Isn't that something I need_ Naa the mechs moving." Great immersion.

What you guys should add is a critical error screen every once in a while. Something like:
Critical systems failure! Unable to boot...
Now booting...
That's one small step for a mech, one giant leap for mankind.

#2 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 06:48 PM

+1, I thought that was a great addition.
Posted Image

#3 Silent_Service

Silent_Service

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 07:54 PM

+2 it was a nice touch, I feel it would be better if they had everybody load the game and use that animation as a countdown before the match begins

#4 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:35 PM

How about this: Everyone is locked in place while the bootup sequence runs at the start of a match. However, it continually gives a critical failure on one thing or another (randomly changing each time) and restarting until everyone on both teams has picked a mech and loaded in. Then everyone should get a bootup at exactly the same time and after all that are all finally allowed to move at the same time.

As it stands now, while it is awesome, the ones who load in first have a big advantage over the slower loaders, or the ones who take a few more seconds to pick the mech they want to pilot, because they get to boost out to the EU points first and will have their HUD up first so they can drop turrets, shoot first, etc.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#5 R3TRI8UTI0N

R3TRI8UTI0N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, Michigan

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostNitris, on October 28 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

How about this: Everyone is locked in place while the bootup sequence runs at the start of a match. However, it continually gives a critical failure on one thing or another (randomly changing each time) and restarting until everyone on both teams has picked a mech and loaded in. Then everyone should get a bootup at exactly the same time and after all that are all finally allowed to move at the same time.

As it stands now, while it is awesome, the ones who load in first have a big advantage over the slower loaders, or the ones who take a few more seconds to pick the mech they want to pilot, because they get to boost out to the EU points first and will have their HUD up first so they can drop turrets, shoot first, etc.
I like this idea a lot, and I'm one of those fast loaders.

Edited by R3TRI8UTI0N, October 28 2012 - 09:06 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:13 PM

Yeah, I load really fast too, and am usually the first to the EU points.
I guess as long as its possible, may as well take advantage of it, right_

Can be sure that others will! =D
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#7 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:49 PM

I noticed the fails too. Ironically, when I finally got to record a Siege match, every single check passed.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#8 Nerrage

Nerrage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:53 PM

I never had a failure. I didn't even know those were possible. I like the idea of random failures to make everyone start at the same time. It's a really cool effect, but is obviously really bad in a deathmatch, especially if other players are out to eat your face.

#9 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 04:30 AM

View PostNerrage, on October 28 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

I never had a failure. I didn't even know those were possible. I like the idea of random failures to make everyone start at the same time. It's a really cool effect, but is obviously really bad in a deathmatch, especially if other players are out to eat your face.
Actually, it could form an in-game component to a temporary spawn immunity period.  Spawn points aren't workable in their current format, as most are now probably aware, so a 3 second spawn immunity might be an easy fix.  Thing is, the spawnee should not be able to attack whilst immune so a boot-up sequence like the one seen in Siege would be a slick way of representing that.

#10 Ikaruz

Ikaruz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted October 29 2012 - 10:53 AM

Since I don´t know where I should post it:
I friggin LOVE this small detail that you abrade your mech when moving too close to a wall. Gives a huge bonus to the gameplay and feeling <3 awesome!

#11 Nerrage

Nerrage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:16 AM

View Postdefekt, on October 29 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

View PostNerrage, on October 28 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

Actually, it could form an in-game component to a temporary spawn immunity period.  Spawn points aren't workable in their current format, as most are now probably aware, so a 3 second spawn immunity might be an easy fix.  Thing is, the spawnee should not be able to attack whilst immune so a boot-up sequence like the one seen in Siege would be a slick way of representing that.

I think it's a bit long of spawn immunity, especially for that startup sequence. I feel a little mixed about adding in the immunity. I like the fast-pace and wouldn't want to have to watch that same screen over and over, I just want to jump in the action. Then again, I've definitely been a situation of luckily spawning next to an enemy and also spawning into heavy fire

#12 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:23 AM

I noticed the FAILs are usually concerned to safety or similar checkings ... for me.
Guess i can't eject my seat or something XD
Btw it's a really nice star up.

Edited by Korriban87, October 30 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#13 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:09 AM

The start up is really nice but I don't think a boot sequence would give you spawn immunity in a deathmatch game. Maybe an energy shield of some form but I think if they can sort out where you spawn and respawn properly it will be great.

It would be super cool if you a load in and get a boot-up read out a-la command and conquer's 'Welcome back commander'. Some status report like 'All systems...green. Sentium uplink, engaged. Loading safety parameters. Weapons online. Best shooting commander'. Something of the sort on top of the visual sequence.

Posted Image

#14 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostSubdivision, on October 30 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

The start up is really nice but I don't think a boot sequence would give you spawn immunity in a deathmatch game.
*sigh*

#15 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 30 2012 - 06:16 AM

View Postdefekt, on October 30 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

The start up is really nice but I don't think a boot sequence would give you spawn immunity in a deathmatch game.
*sigh*

I was just saying it would need something along side to justify why you wouldn't be taking damage. Thank you for the constructive feedback

Posted Image

#16 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostSubdivision, on October 30 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

View Postdefekt, on October 30 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

*sigh*
I was just saying it would need something along side to justify why you wouldn't be taking damage. Thank you for the constructive feedback
Fair enough.

#17 ForgottenSoup

ForgottenSoup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:36 AM

Small details like this help a game a ton.  Hell, even having your mech stumble a bit when you land would be pretty cool if it only happened once in awhile.

#18 Ari_Atari

Ari_Atari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationU.S. in NY

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:41 AM

Heh, played a game of siege last night and 3 systems failed on me at the same time. Must have been a new record.
That's one small step for a mech, one giant leap for mankind.

#19 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostAri_Atari, on October 30 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

Heh, played a game of siege last night and 3 systems failed on me at the same time. Must have been a new record.
There'll most probably be an Achievement for that.  Gotta love those 100% random Achs.  :)

#20 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted October 30 2012 - 10:40 AM

I want ADA for whatever startup (go to 5:53)

Edited by Korriban87, October 30 2012 - 10:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users