HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Inertia

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zone22

Zone22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 10:59 AM

I'm curious to see if other people may have noticed this.  If a Mech sprints and then jumps It does not to change the distance traveled_ From my experience, it doesn't seem too.

If this is the case, I suggest that It is included, Inertia adds realism and tactics.

Edited by Zone22, October 29 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#2 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:04 AM

I was trying to figure this out earlier today. I was trying to use it to hope to the missile silo from the north end in siege mode on Sahara. I felt like it was helping, but you quickly slow down after leaving the ground.
Posted Image

#3 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:17 AM

+1

Generally, I really like the movement in this game, but there's still plenty of room for improvement, and conservation of momentum is probably the one I'd like to see the most.
  • Even when just boosting around on the ground... if you boost forward, then start walking, your momentum from the boost completely evaporates, and you have to re-accelerate back to full walking speed. This makes no sense from a physics standpoint, and leaves you with a clunky transition every time you finish boosting. What should happen (IMO): after finishing a boost, you should lose speed gradually instead of instantly, and only lose speed until max walking speed, instead of having to accelerate again.
  • Like pointed out in the OP, when you boost and then jump, your momentum will once again cease to exist and you'll slow to almost a halt at an unnatural pace. IMO, instead of this instant slow down, you should drift forward and slowly bleed off the speed from the boost. Smart players could use this as a "long jump" technique, to quickly hop over obstacles without leaving too much of a radar signature.

Posted Image

#4 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:26 AM

Agreed, though I have noticed that boosting and hitting a jump pad does carry you a bit furthur than normal it is not really that noticable.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#5 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostImmie, on October 29 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

Even when just boosting around on the ground... if you boost forward, then start walking, your momentum from the boost completely evaporates, and you have to re-accelerate back to full walking speed. This makes no sense from a physics standpoint, and leaves you with a clunky transition every time you finish boosting. What should happen (IMO): after finishing a boost, you should lose speed gradually instead of instantly, and only lose speed until max walking speed, instead of having to accelerate again.

You have to consider, though, that boosting makes you hovering, so there is no contact betweern mech legs and the ground.
When the boost finishes your mech legs have to touch the ground blocking you for a second since the legs cannot withstand that kind of speed.
I think your idea works with wheels but not with legs (however I'm no engeneer, i study language and literature XD so all I'm writing could be fuzzy bunnies solid wase), if you shift from gear 5 to gear 4 while driving, your engine slows you down since gear 4 has less max speed capability than gear 5. But I don't see how this can works with "hovering shifting to legs".

Edited by Korriban87, October 29 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#6 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:55 AM

If we're talking realism, and ignoring how ridiculous the notion of boosting a few feet of the ground is to begin with, if the mech slowed down that much when its feet touched down on the ground, the heavy cockpit/guns would want to continue at its previous pace, which would result in the mech falling on its face.

The way I envision it, the mech would just take a few steps at faster than the normal speed while it slowed down. Kind of like jumping off of something moving faster than you can run (or even run down a slope and hit flat ground)- you can keep your legs moving so as not to fall over, but you have to slow down, because your muscles won't actually move you that fast. Same thing could apply to the mech- it relaxes the force of inertia by stepping at a higher speed than the legs are when they are actually moving the mech, and once that speed has been reduced, they continue to move like normal.

Edited by Immie, October 29 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Fragxile

Fragxile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:59 AM

View PostKorriban87, on October 29 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

View PostImmie, on October 29 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

Even when just boosting around on the ground... if you boost forward, then start walking, your momentum from the boost completely evaporates, and you have to re-accelerate back to full walking speed. This makes no sense from a physics standpoint, and leaves you with a clunky transition every time you finish boosting. What should happen (IMO): after finishing a boost, you should lose speed gradually instead of instantly, and only lose speed until max walking speed, instead of having to accelerate again.

You have to consider, though, that boosting makes you hovering, so there is no contact betweern mech legs and the ground.
When the boost finishes your mech legs have to touch the ground blocking you for a second since the legs cannot withstand that kind of speed.
I think your idea works with wheels but not with legs (however I'm no engeneer, i study language and literature XD so all I'm writing could be fuzzy bunnies solid wase), if you shift from gear 5 to gear 4 while driving, your engine slows you down since gear 4 has less max speed capability than gear 5. But I don't see how this can works with "hovering shifting to legs".

Well you can test this out yourself pretty much. If you're on a bike or similar contraption going faster than you would ordinarily walk and then dismount you will be decelerating for the first couple of steps after you've touched down. I suppose in order to apply that test to a bipedal mech we would have to know how the actual mechanics of the legs work. Wether there is room for the legs to move faster than whatever is driving them is capable of or if that would cause damage to the drive system is something we don't know. But I could see it work both ways.

I think I would personaly like it if the mech would not carefully land and then resume walking but use the momentum to carry over more smoothly into running, but I dont know, having not tested it. As for concerving momentum when airborne however that one really needs to be tweaked. The sudden drop in speed in midair feels very strange and have caused me to misjudge jumps on several occations.

#8 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted October 29 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes I can see your point, I think you are both right, that thing about dismounting from a bike makes sense.
I mean, who would build a mech that could not withstand the speed after the boost_ It would surely crash forward as Immie says.
So the engeneers in the fiction of Hawken world (the developers here in our world) must come to the compromise of building mechs with legs that allow deceleration over time insead of an abrupt one.

Good thingking guys, I hope this thread reach the devs.

Edited by Korriban87, October 29 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#9 Zone22

Zone22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 01:11 PM

I think one of the biggest disappointments is when you sprint and thrust the don't gain a lot of distance like you should according the physics.

#10 BuffMyRadius

BuffMyRadius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted October 31 2012 - 01:32 AM

Even in normal movement the mechs seem to decelerate strangely. The mech takes a moment to get moving but the moment you let off the controls the mech just freezes in place. That being said, when boosting forward things just don't have the right feel coming out of boost. If the movement of the mech seemed real, no one would question what was going on, and this thread wouldn't exist. The sudden deceleration at the end of a boost+jump feels about right though. Coming down from a long fall it should take a moment to absorb the impact of the landing before the mech is off and running again.
AMD 4130 BE @ 4.0 Ghz, ASRock Extreme3 970, 4x2GB 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport, Gigabyte r9 270x OC, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, OCZ Fatal1ty PSU, Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Case

#11 Zone22

Zone22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 06:59 PM

View PostBuffMyRadius, on October 31 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

Coming down from a long fall it should take a moment to absorb the impact of the landing before the mech is off and running again.

I hadn't thought about it that way but you're absolutely right!

#12 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:18 AM

View PostZone22, on November 07 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

Coming down from a long fall it should take a moment to absorb the impact of the landing before the mech is off and running again.

On that note- if you look at a mech that's boosting, it kinda drags its legs behind it. In order to get its legs back under it, they do this small little hop as the boost ends. The sudden drop of speed could arguably be coming from that little motion.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 08 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostZone22, on November 07 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

You do. If it's high enough, you even take Damage. Go ahead, jump from the top to the bottom of Titan if you don't believe me.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users