HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

low health warning needed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kumiiyo

kumiiyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 09:22 PM

sometimes i find myself dying because i'm so abosrbed in the action that i don't realize i'm almost dead. i think the windshiled cracking should be way more severe at low health, and also maybe add a warning system that escalates in intensity as your health diminishes.

#2 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted October 29 2012 - 09:40 PM

I agree with you, However, the windshield cracking shouldn't be so severe that our ability to see is impaired.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 29 2012 - 09:41 PM

Maybe the entire HUD should turn red, or something.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#4 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostThe_Eldritch_Abomination, on October 29 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

I agree with you, However, the windshield cracking shouldn't be so severe that our ability to see is impaired.

If you can't see out your glass then you need to repair ASAP. This is a pretty damn good indicator your damaged beyond any safe means.

#5 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 10:17 PM

I find myself dying like this too, sometimes I forget I'm low on Armor since I keep my eyes on the Radar more than anything really. The little buzzer isn't loud enough considering its even hard to hear while walking or boosting, even with the lack of gunfire. Though, when I get really low on Armor it gets a bit hard to see with how dirty and cracked up the cockpit gets.

I'd prefer having a little red alarm light, that would turn on or blink, that would light up the cockpit a bit with a little red tone. Have it blink faster/brighter the lower my Armor got when I'm in the red.

Edited by IceTonic, October 29 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#6 Ruzhyo

Ruzhyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted October 29 2012 - 10:34 PM

Did you guys also notice that when your health gets low the screen desaturates_ Notice when you repair, the color around you magically comes back. That, plus the screen cracking, and I usually had a pretty good idea of what the health of my mech was.
Although the warning sirens in general are a bit too quiet, but I haven't checked the audio options to see if I could turn them up.

Posted Image

#7 idiot

idiot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 10:41 PM

I agree with IceTonic.  Have some kind of emergency light in cockpit and make the little buzzer louder.  Maybe a faint slow alarm when you're in 200 hp range and it gets faster and louder as you drop hp.

#8 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:07 PM

There is an audio notification when your health is low. It's however very subtle. It's a beep that gets more frequent the more critical your health gets.

This sound can often be drowned out by combat however, and sometimes due to the audio cutoff bug, get cut completely. I'm not in favour of replacing it with an extremely loud buzzer, as that would quickly get irritating (and distracting).

I'm personally used to it now, but I've been playing since Alpha 2, so I am sort of tuned to the noise. Perhaps an option slider to increase the volume of this critical alarm, so those who need a louder cue can set it such.

#9 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostElix, on October 29 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

Maybe the entire HUD should turn red, or something.

No. Too many games do this. It irritates me to hell. I think the current audio notification is nice. Could be a little more prominent but if a rocket and gun fire is all going off around its only realistic you could miss it. I normally have a pretty good track of where my health is at. C-classes need a health bar in turret mode though. Not that it ever gets used.

Posted Image

#10 noten

noten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:28 AM

I agree on the current implementation being fine. I don't think we need any notification cluttering the screen to warn you of low health. You could attribute it to player skill to be more aware of your health during battles.

#11 Korriban87

Korriban87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:51 AM

View Postkumiiyo, on October 29 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

sometimes i find myself dying because i'm so abosrbed in the action that i don't realize i'm almost dead. i think the windshiled cracking should be way more severe at low health, and also maybe add a warning system that escalates in intensity as your health diminishes.

But... it exists already o.O
There is a warining sound that becomes more frequent at low health, I can be improved but it exists.
Try running away with 100 hp or 6 hp as i did yesterday and you'll notice the difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users