HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Noob mistakes I made

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thepeopleselbow

thepeopleselbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:39 PM

Sharing beta acct with my 16 year old son.  I'm 35, we're both big fps/mechwarrior nerds.

1) We didn't realize that upgrades cost EITHER HP or MP.  We thought those prices meant it cost both.  So we ran around for the first day in the shitbox with no upgrades getting destroyed.  Derp.

2) Continually forget that my sharpshooter defaults back to NOT the slug rifle each new game we join. We like the slug rifle....

3) Assumed we'd be able to sell parts back if they were unused, and use the same tech from one mech on a different mech.  Soooooo we bought a bunch of stupid stuff we wish we hadn't bought. Derp.

4) Still don't understand the sharpshooters "F" power.  I press it then shoot at people, is it working_ Do I hold it down_ The other mech's "F" powers have obvious effects but this one we don't know if we're using it right.

5) No way to refill stuff_ Super-long cooldowns_ Lootables_  Back to base to refill/refit_ With everything being so expensive, they're hardly worth it for something you use so rarely (unless you die a lot, which we sometimes do).

6) Are there critical hits_ Weak points on the mechs_ Or do I just generally aim for the cockpit and spam_  Played so much counterstrike lately, feel like our aim is going to waste in hawken!  By "our" aim I mean my sons: I suck.

#2 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:43 PM

These are great! More people should write up their first impressions like this because it's hard to go back and have that perspective again once you've played the game for a while.

#3 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:58 PM

Just to help and ansewr your questions -

4. Yeah, it's there once you press it. And unfortunately there is not a very clear way to see when your buffs are active, if at all. Weapon damage boost gives a flat 10% damage increase, or at least it did.

5. Nope, no way to refill stuff. And I honestly prefer this, once you get used to using items they can be very, very powerful and fight-changing. I'll agree on them being expensive, but that's another topic.

6. Nope, no weak spots like say mechwarrior. I'm not sure how big a change it would make to add in, but I don't think it's needed. The biggest skill in this game isn't aiming, it's positioning/dodging.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#4 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostNotKjell, on October 30 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

4. Yeah, it's there once you press it. And unfortunately there is not a very clear way to see when your buffs are active, if at all. Weapon damage boost gives a flat 10% damage increase, or at least it did.

Yeah it's weird they don't have the yellow bar that went across the screen anymore. I miss that.

#5 AmericanWolf

AmericanWolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for sharing your lessons learned.  This is a great list and can really help other new players not make the same mistakes.  I would add one:

I bought a turret and then realized I no idea how to deploy or use it.  A simple dialog box indicating “Item X bought: Use xyz to use” would go a long way! :)

Edited by AmericanWolf, October 30 2012 - 02:29 PM.

Posted Image

#6 thepeopleselbow

thepeopleselbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 08:05 AM

Quite true about the turrets.  Whenever we get a new game, the first place we look is the key-bindings section.  That's normally the quickest way to play.  So we went into the game testing out buttons 1 2 and 3 which of course activate our missiles/holograms/turrets etc.

I'm sure the tutorial covers most of this stuff anyway.

#7 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 11:47 AM

Shooting a tow before clearing a wall and suiciding
Tossing a mine  and bounces of*for a wall and kills you.

#8 Arcana13

Arcana13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:28 PM

the skill meter is found somewhere on the mechs cockpit struts. It varies by the mech you are playing. The infiltrator's for example is located at the upper part of the left strut. You will see a small circle with the corresponding ability icon on it. Only found out halfway in the beta. Well once the proper ingame tutorial gets implemented this issue won't come up again.

#9 NotAnExit

NotAnExit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:35 PM

Made it through the alpha without figuring out I needed to rebind the sharpshooter scope to a mouse button that worked.

Made it through the alpha and two days of beta without finding or spending the optimization points.

#10 Lithium03

Lithium03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted October 31 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostJuiceBox, on October 31 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Shooting a tow before clearing a wall and suiciding
Tossing a mine  and bounces of*for a wall and kills you.

That's called skill XD denying the enemy the kill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users