HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Missile Assault [Video] Updated 2 Vids

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:21 PM

Decided to see if Hawken was actually playable while recording.
It is... sort of. I get like 15-20 fps on average, which is a bit bleh.

Anyway, here's a fairly laid back missile assault match. Playing HEAT Infil.

WARNING: I was in Mumble, so there might be profanity, mockery of gullible people and trash talk of Firefall.
http://youtu.be/2niE4IsqumI

I've got another video uploading, but that's probably going to take a few hours with my upload speeds...

Update: This is actually the first match I recorded. I make some amazing bad decisions in this match.
http://youtu.be/pntDX26pSxI

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, October 30 2012 - 03:24 PM.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#2 desertfalcin

desertfalcin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:51 PM

I play (without recording) on highest resolution and ultra textures etc. it works fine.
While recording with a lower config (medium textures, resolution a little bit lower but not the lowest^^) i got 38 to 42 fps.
And trust me if you choose lower quality it doesnt loose its impact ... fraps made me a 12 GB vid of a ~17 min deathmatch and i converted it to a nearly 200mb vid to put it on my university account and after seeing it all of my friends still think this game is amazing.
So its simple. Either you have a crappy pc (go buy a new one if you wanna record and play hawken) or tweak the configs (sometimes it helps to write on a different hd - in contrast to the one hawken is on).

And now a little bit offtopic: How can you play with discussions like that in the background. I mean come on - you are battling like hell and some guys really discuss something with a relaxed voice that surely doesnt match to a fast paced game like hawken. :D

#3 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:53 PM

15-20 FPS while recording_ I know that feeling. The video looks well enough, though, which is good news for both of us.

Thanks for the upload.

It was fun while it lasted.

#4 hawken_com_pl

hawken_com_pl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 01:57 PM

I've got something like 30-40 FPS on ultra settings while recording in 1080p/60fps.

But after compression it looks only ok, here's an example

Oh, and I'm using MSI Afterburner and MJPG format.

Edited by hawken_com_pl, October 30 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image

#5 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:02 PM

View Postdesertfalcin, on October 30 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Either you have a crappy pc (go buy a new one if you wanna record and play hawken) or tweak the configs (sometimes it helps to write on a different hd - in contrast to the one hawken is on).
It's just my graphics card. It's a 4 year old value card.
I'm planning on getting a new one eventually.
I just wanted to see how big of an impact it would have on the games performance and my personal ability to track and react.

And now a little bit offtopic: How can you play with discussions like that in the background. I mean come on - you are battling like hell and some guys really discuss something with a relaxed voice that surely doesnt match to a fast paced game like hawken.
I do it all the time. Doesn't bother me unless I'm playing a story-oriented single player game.
Really though, I'm used to playing on organized 10v10 teams from another game where you have multiple people talking at once, calling targets, positions and the like all while having to pay close attention to my own actions. I've just learned how to filter it as needed.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#6 desertfalcin

desertfalcin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 30 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

View Postdesertfalcin, on October 30 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Either you have a crappy pc (go buy a new one if you wanna record and play hawken) or tweak the configs (sometimes it helps to write on a different hd - in contrast to the one hawken is on).
It's just my graphics card. It's a 4 year old value card.
I'm planning on getting a new one eventually.
I just wanted to see how big of an impact it would have on the games performance and my personal ability to track and react.
But with such a graphics card it is pretty awesome what you got in the end ( your frames dropped "only" to 15-20 and still got a vid that youtube can show at high definiton^^).

btw what program did you use ... programs that compress while recording usually need much more working power than the ones that work uncompressed

Edited by desertfalcin, October 30 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#7 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:37 PM

MSI Afterburner.

And mind you dropping to 15-20 is only like 10 or so fps lower than what I usually play at. XD

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, October 30 2012 - 02:39 PM.

AJK is right

#8 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 30 2012 - 03:25 PM

OP updated with new vid.

AJK is right

#9 nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 30 2012 - 04:00 PM

Nice vids - can't stand HEAT cannon.
EOC Infiltrator

#hawkenscrim @ irc.quakenet.org - find ringers and scrims at the competitive level

http://youtube.com/vrts for gameplay footage

#10 Saint_The_Judge

Saint_The_Judge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThird World

Posted November 01 2012 - 04:01 AM

@ AsianJoyKiller
Dude, I don't mean to be a yes-man or something, but I have to say your style is the best I've seen so far. By a mile. You somehow turns a fast-paced game into a stroll in the park. There isn't any seldom outburst activitity in your game. A relaxed fashion, doing what you have to do in the right time, zero waste of ammo, etc. I'm impressed. Thanks for posting.
Once a girl asked me in a chat: "-ASL_" I answered: "- Very old, impotent, third world." And she got out the room. Posted Image

#11 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 01 2012 - 04:15 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 30 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

MSI Afterburner. And mind you dropping to 15-20 is only like 10 or so fps lower than what I usually play at. XD

Give Dxtory a try, if you haven't already. I get consistently better in-game frame rates using it instead of FRAPS or Afterburner and can average around 60-70 FPS while recording this way.

#12 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 01 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostSaint_The_Judge, on November 01 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

@ AsianJoyKiller
Dude, I don't mean to be a yes-man or something, but I have to say your style is the best I've seen so far. By a mile. You somehow turns a fast-paced game into a stroll in the park. There isn't any seldom outburst activitity in your game. A relaxed fashion, doing what you have to do in the right time, zero waste of ammo, etc. I'm impressed. Thanks for posting.
The pacing is due mostly to my opponents. On an individual basis they really weren't too threatening (and I'm not going to kill myself trying to carry a team. At least, not when my progression will get wiped).
In the matches I had against Zeshi and DarkPulse this weekend, I was a lot more active and things were more frantic as there was a personal challenge in dealing with them.

Also, my minimal-exposure playstyle is based on how NotKjell constantly wrecked my face during Alpha.

View PostRoundlay, on November 01 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 30 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

MSI Afterburner. And mind you dropping to 15-20 is only like 10 or so fps lower than what I usually play at. XD
Give Dxtory a try, if you haven't already. I get consistently better in-game frame rates using it instead of FRAPS or Afterburner and can average around 60-70 FPS while recording this way.
Will do, though given my normal fps is still sub-60, I doubt it'll be that different for me. :P

AJK is right

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 01 2012 - 09:37 AM

I actually do have a fourth video I recorded where I accidentally forgot I'd left FRAPS on a 60 FPS limit (I was recording a WeatherSTAR 4000 emulator as Hurricane Sandy was hitting - why yes, I'm a geek, thank you for noticing) and it tends to fluctuate between about 40-50 FPS at 2048x1152, max details.

I will say, hands down, the best thing you can do for video recording is to get an SSD. I record on that SSD, and so my framerate (once I lock recording to 30) pretty much never, ever drops. There are no stutters at all since it's an SSD.

Of course, the downside is the filesizes. For a 25 minute match like the one I uploaded, 2048x1152@30fps = 87.8 GB of raw footage. You will want, at minimum, a 256 GB SSD (especially if you put your OS on it; you'd be a fool not to, realistically) before you pull this. 512 GB (which is what I have) would be much better, but 512 GB SSDs are still rather pricey, in the $600-700 range.

Obviously, the rest of your system (CPU, GPU) also need to be up to snuff too. But for the raw recording, you will want that SSD.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 01 2012 - 09:38 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users