HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tag Players with their XP/Mech XP in Player List

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eolith

eolith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:33 PM

I have no idea if I'm playing against folks that are leveled differently than me. Usually the only way I find out is when I die in a matter of nano-seconds when fighting them.

Please add some sort of identifier next to each player's name to show rank/level and or mech level. Like in Halo multiplayer.

That way I know if I suck, or if they're just leveled :P

#2 Garuda

Garuda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSailing the Seven Seas with my trusty Beluga Whale steed

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:43 PM

Personally I don't really see the point of integrating such a feature.
In a true Socratic fashion, I shall support my opinion.

To be able to see another's rank, you say it enables you to:

-Understand the skill level of the opposing force

-To determine whether or not your defeat was due to lack of skill or lack of mech development

To my understanding... With this system... the sole purpose of this idea is for you to:
-Tell whether you are inferior in terms of either mechs or skill.

If my analysis of your true purpose is correct, then I have one statement to conclude my argument:

-Stop thinking on why you died

-Start thinking on how to be better

Color coded for everyone's eyegasm pleasures.
Posted Image

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:48 PM

I don't have a post by a dev to point to to back me up, but I imagine that there'll be matchmaking that takes mech level into account so you don't get matched with people who outrank you in every way. It's just not implemented yet because this is still early closed beta.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#4 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostElix, on October 30 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

I don't have a post by a dev to point to to back me up, but I imagine that there'll be matchmaking that takes mech level into account so you don't get matched with people who outrank you in every way. It's just not implemented yet because this is still early closed beta.

Hmm but that would mean the mm system would revolve around one mech. Someone may have a garage full of mechs with varying levels and may switch them up. I could definitely see a career experience level being a factor, however.

Going back to the OP, I think the information would be relevant and useful. If not for your own personal sake, it would at least keep certain players from lying about their experience with a certain mech/or not having unlocked all their points. In a game where progression gives perks such as this, this progression needs to be displayed.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 31 2012 - 01:27 PM

It'd have to be handled carefully to avoid seeming totally arbitrary and heavy-handed, but there could be restrictions on your mechs, including temporary level caps on progressions and such.

For example, in FFXI, a feature that was added is Level Sync. What it does is allows a group to temporarily lower their class level to match that of the designated party member (typically the lowest-level unless the level disparity between the lowest and next-lowest players is very small, or there's some specific reason to set the bar much higher than the lowest-level player). All of their stats collapse down to what they would be at that level, and ability and spell lists are likewise restricted to what would be available naturally at that level. Over-cap equipment can still be worn, but any stat bonuses are scaled downwards to match the cap. This meant that you could just group with anyone available and go off to earn exp/whatever in an area appropriate to the lowest-level members.

Separately, since it'll connect with below, FFXI had a simple way of showing other players that you were a newbie and to be understanding and helpful (one hopes), and that was to put a _ next to your name in place of a linkpearl sprite, and this stayed on your account until you reached level 5 and also had 10 hours of game time, or you manually turned it off in the menu.

While I don't think this should be the case all the time in Hawken (I earned that exp and those level perks, thank you, don't take it away from me because a fresh-from-installing newbie joined my server) it could take a page from Blacklight: Retribution. BLR has "Proving Grounds" servers that are level-capped to level 10. Newbies would be encouraged (but not required) to join these servers until they were comfortable going up against the full level range, and anyone joining would be either restricted from using a too-powerful mech, or their mechs would be handicapped appropriately.

The exact details of what the level limit will be for "proving grounds" style servers, how to determine what criteria counts (per-mech exp_ total exp_ lifetime hours of play total_) or how mechs would be handicapped for being too powerful for newbie servers, is a different conversation.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#6 Arcana13

Arcana13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 03:48 AM

BLR is actually the best f2p fps that I've enjoyed so far in terms of balancing the cash shop or managing the gap between long time players and newbs. The "proving ground" servers for newbs in Hawken would be a really good step to balance out matches. I also remember it has a small exp boost for playing in it (level 10+ blacklight player could not join these ofcourse).

Back to topic: I don't know bout tagging ppl with overall exp level/mech lvl. It could be neat if players can balance things out a bit this way by creating seemingly fair teams based on overall experience. It could also be just a stack fest. Regarding DM it should be no problem to display some info. I am always interested in my opponents and how far they've been in the game.

#7 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 05:48 AM

View PostGaruda, on October 30 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

Personally I don't really see the point of integrating such a feature.
In a true Socratic fashion, I shall support my opinion.

To be able to see another's rank, you say it enables you to:

-Understand the skill level of the opposing force

-To determine whether or not your defeat was due to lack of skill or lack of mech development

To my understanding... With this system... the sole purpose of this idea is for you to:
-Tell whether you are inferior in terms of either mechs or skill.

If my analysis of your true purpose is correct, then I have one statement to conclude my argument:

-Stop thinking on why you died

-Start thinking on how to be better

Color coded for everyone's eyegasm pleasures.
I have no idea what that means. But basically, to know someones XP level, would let you know more about how to play better. Why_ Because a high XP player needs different tactics than a low XP player. I understand making it visible in game could be OP. But making it visible on the game setup/team list would be OK. Most games add medals/ranking anyhow. So seeing a players ranking would help you know if to kite, run or attack. You would usually use visible keys and cues to their level (fast walking, strong against attack), but sometimes we just want to play a level field in a competitive game (this is not RL people :P ).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users