HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

couple quick ideas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sugarrnspice

Sugarrnspice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:19 AM

I played primarily the rocketeer and was quite sucessful overall. A tricky class to master but easy enough to beat anyone 1v1 with a few simple positioning techniques.(if you havent played C mech, specifically, the rocketeer, you may struggle to grasp the ideas as my linguistic skills are bleh.)

My loadout is heatcannon/rockets

My suggestion:

1.when locking onto an enemy with the rockets and successfully ataining a lock, i think you should be able to look  away from the target more than currently allowed before the lock breaks. This is mostly because of the rocket's inability to corner any type of terrain so i found it effective to aim away from the obstacle and give the rockets a wider arc. This practice, which i feel should be encouraged, is overall hindered by the auto-drop of the lock. (becomes basically useless wave of rockets if they lose their lock the instant before i fire)

A slider bar in menu to control how far away you have to look from your lock-target to drop. since i know some people(maybe with lower sensitivities) would prefer the lock-drop when looking away only slightly like the current setup.

Any experienced player knows to position themselves to be near impervious to most rockets and i feel the general community will quickly learn how to deal with them, making them much less useful than they were during beta(while half the folks learned about overheating etc.(i am personally almost immune to most rocket attacks and i expect many to follow suite as people become more comfortable with dealing with the various weapons ingame)

Some proposed changes could be increase rocket speed, increased damage, or reduce lock time, but i think being able to lock on while looking at a wider angle to arc the rockets and hit the enemy from the side would be the best way to buff this weapon.

2.In general, i feel the lockon needs to be slightly stronger, ive always loved the thought of missed rockets coming for a second pass or even aquiring a new target if in the correct velocity.
2.5 Im not opposed to giving the rockets a slight autolock when dryfired. Nothing like the manual lock obviously. it is intented for the weapon to be very ineffective when not using the lock-on, but currently, even at very short range, the quickfire technique is a waste of rocket's cd most of the time(only used when death is inevitable within 2 seconds)

2.75 Another thought regarding the rockets, possibly intentional, but i feel they should be clustered for a few meters after firing before spreading, they shoot from far right hand side of the mech so i clip them on walls (sometimes i cant even see yet due to strafing) extremely easily, damaging myself  and reducing overall damage output, sometimes significantly. and IF point blank firing with no lock, many of them are harmless, flying just over the enemy's shoulders etc as the spread is quite significant(for that fuzzy bunny beserker who's suiciding to kill me)

3 regarding heavy mechs themselves, I feel like the compounding effects of being big and being slow work againts this class in a very powerful way, especially considering we fight classes with the polar opposite of situations, being faster and a 1/3rd the size.  Not only can any class chase us with no problem, but we're huge, lumbering beasts that cannot move through the terrain nearly as easily as the smaller mechs. I feel our health should more reflect our size and speed. The current heal increase over other mechs makes up for the difference in hitbox size i feel but not enough to compensate for the speed, let alone the compounding effects  working against us PLUS our enemies get same compounding factors in their favor, Just imo though.

Also related to heavy mechs; I did not unlock the brawler but reading the the tooltips, the turretmode for the brawler is even slower than rockteer wtf____ I like the niche provided in Organised/competetive team games with high levels of teamplay by the turret mode but i think the ability should be scrapped, at the least one one of the heavy mechs. I have never died to a mech in turret mode and u dont think i ever will. Even as a heavy mech, i can easily control the fight when my enemy decides to stay tanky, lol. I cant imagine the effortlessness of being a smaller class and just dancing around one. all the other class abilities are just good, no drawbacks.

Replace turret as a class ability imo.
I Love the idea of a riotshield type thing that just comes down over your screen as a cooldown like any other class ability cooldown. It could prevent frontal damage by 15-35% (or  block a set # of dmg or w.e) and maybe come at a 5-10% speed reduction, with no downtime, but vision would be obscured. I really dislike the current turret UI, and being unable to sidestrafe while in turret with current model, plus the downtime required to shift into AND out of the form make it extremely unnattractive, even in where i provide support fire in teamfights. Tbh, to match the class standard of decent abilities to pop, there really should be no speed reduction but if it must be, to balance, i suggest simply taking a small % less damage from the shielded side at all times(3-15%). Meaning less damage from the top (when normally walking) and less damage from behind when healing) Losing any mobility in a game like this is absolutely crippling, especially as we are the slowest already., if the special ability takes away our side strafe, it wont get used, simple as that.

Random thought regarding movespeeds. If I, a C mech, move at 80% of the A mech speed, he has a 20% speed advantage over me. But if i get slowed by another 10% to either 70 or 72% , depending, the relative difference in our speeds is increased by 140-150% which is quite significant. This is only with a 10% slow, the current turret model, even the one with more mobility lol, slows by like 20-40%, i really dont use the turretmode ever so pretty rough number, but the relative speed diffence becomes stupidly high. Anyone in turret mode moves too slowly to be a threat to anyone not also in turret mode.

Just some ideas for the moment, comes out to a bunch when all typed out but really only several key ideas here, Any thoughts_

edit: i moved this post to the suggestion forums in the nonbeta area, then realized i couldnt figure out how to delete this post so i rewrote it on a ton of other stuff, sorry for the mixup

Edited by Sugarrnspice, October 31 2012 - 03:57 AM.

#2 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:43 AM

I fear for my frame rate if smoke bombs are implemented, but I don't totally hate the idea of them.

I don't really think jammers need to be nerfed, even if you plant them inside of walls, the sparky effect gives them away if you go looking for it, and IMO they don't really compare to the usefulness of EMP.

I'd love a spraying chemical weapon. It would have a slow travel speed and drop due to gravity, but a high rate of fire, high damage, and maybe some kind of damage over time or corroding effect that caused things to take more damage. Would be very unique/interesting, and I'd have loads of fun trying to be super accurate with it.

Posted Image

#3 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:51 AM

The smoke effect is already implemented more or less (AA gun).
B.O.W. would be useless since you are sitting inside of a mech. Thermite as an area based weapon would be nice but could be overpowered.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#4 Glothrenite

Glothrenite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Kilda, Australia

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:21 AM

Pretty much agree with all the comments about the C Class Special.  Long story short .. its balls and needs serious buffing.  My main complaint with it was that due to its HUGE reduction in mobility youre encourged to stay at range for which the Brawler (which i mostly played) is very weak .. perhaps with the Vulcan it might have been useful, but i never got to experiment with it.

Edited by Glothrenite, October 31 2012 - 06:22 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Lazoraz

Lazoraz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:36 AM

I pretty much agree with everything you said, and I don't even play C class mechs. Although sometimes they can be really scary, so I'm not sure if they should get a huge buffs. But they definately need a bit of work.

I'd love a spraying chemical weapon. It would have a slow travel speed and drop due to gravity, but a high rate of fire, high damage, and maybe some kind of damage over time or corroding effect that caused things to take more damage. Would be very unique/interesting, and I'd have loads of fun trying to be super accurate with it.

Perhaps it could be liquidated energy that is now unusable_ Maybe that would defeat the purpose of collecting it so much, but a weapon like that would be pretty cool, I feel like it should affect the target's heat too.
Ctrl-F-U

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users