HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Great Unequalizer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NotAnExit

NotAnExit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:46 AM

I've been killed; I've been killed a lot, actually.  Cost of doing business as the pilot of "The Great Papier-mâché Mech." (patent pending)  I've been killed by guns, rockets, turrets, suicide, falling, grenades, sniper rounds....just about anything you can name except lasers, which is odd, seeing as this is the future.  So generally, in the area of death, I speak from experience.

The sad truth is, when I get in a game, I know exactly who is going to be doing the killing:  The pilot with the 44 ping.  Every game I've been in where all the players average 4 to 9 kills and one player has 22, it's the one with the 44 ping time.  Some pilots spec better, pilot better, optimize harder, level quicker, but you can only do so much about your internet connection.

Thoughts_

#2 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:03 AM

Not true at all. I regularly connected servers that weren't in my region, giving me a sub-par Ping of about 140-180, And I was still getting consistently high scores.

#3 Sugarrnspice

Sugarrnspice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:10 AM

I agree to an extent. I look at it this way; consider that the people who are maybe more hardcore with their min/maxxing also apply that idealology to their internet service(moreso on average than those who maybe only played beta for 3-8 hours or less this weekend).

So in the same way they spec and optimize looking for the best possible scenario with every choice they make, they also probably payyed more to get a better and more reliable connection.

You could then argue that money = winning in that way of thinking and truthfully, yes. You could live in the artic and with enough money, have the lowest ping on any server.

Unfortunately, all FPS games, especially newer ones, have higher and higher internet standards to run smoothly. Are you only experience ingame lag and not FPS issues_ I have a very solid computer and i turn most settings down ,for the smoothest gameplay possible

#4 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:11 AM

I play from Hawaii. Average ping to the west coast 130-180.

hawken profile.jpg

Find a new excuse.
Posted Image

#5 Puru

Puru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGrove Street, Los Santos, San Andreas

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:19 AM

I usually see you jump around a bit as a result. The same thing happens in another game I play, where the lag can benefit you for some unholy reason.

I have a pretty poor internet connection but connecting to East or West gets me 80, which is good. I get a bit less than 200 going to the UK, which is also good. I don't think their servers are set up that badly if I'm getting a connection like 80 here where if I join a dedicated TF2 server or something like it, it's usually 160+.
Shamelessly stealing everything not bolted down

#6 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:46 AM

View PostUrvanis, on October 31 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

Find a new excuse.
Hawaii_ So glad this game works well for you. Look forward to playing with such cool players. I mean, you live on an island in the middle on nowhere, and still get nice internet. :)

#7 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:48 AM

110-120ish ping on west coast server.

http://youtu.be/2niE4IsqumI

Now what was that about ping advantage_

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#8 Urvanis

Urvanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawaii

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:54 AM

View PostFluxX, on October 31 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

View PostUrvanis, on October 31 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

Find a new excuse.
Hawaii_ So glad this game works well for you. Look forward to playing with such cool players. I mean, you live on an island in the middle on nowhere, and still get nice internet. :)

I wasn't born and raised here. Only been here for 2 years. I grew up on the east coast. I moved here because of my job. Lots of nerd rage from lag for the first couple months or so, but once i get used to it, its like its the way its supposed to be.

A true gamer doesn't see lag as a handicap, they see it as a hurdle. But a true gamer is still entitled to their rage sessions. I know I'm guilty.
Posted Image

#9 NotAnExit

NotAnExit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, I had a feeling this would either be a "cry more" or a "happens on all internet games" kind of thread.

I'm not complaining about being killed, by the way; if it was a problem, I'd play a different build (one that wasn't spec'd to get back and forth with EU faster than everyone else).

Oh, and as for Hawaii, yeah....two of the car dealerships I do the back end for are there, seriously, how is it that anyone who lives in Hawaii can be so freaking crabby all the time_

#10 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 09:28 AM

I live in South America. The best ping i can hope for is 220.

My shots come out 220ms late, my flack cannon fires two shots in a row (the first one is a dud), and manual detonations miss most of the time. Splash damage weapons are hard to gague and using a sniper is not an easy task.

And with all that, i still get to top the scoreboard a lot. My KDr might not be great, but i still win

Edited by Hipnox, October 31 2012 - 09:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users