HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Medium ranged combat should be encouraged

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Crimson_Corsair

Crimson_Corsair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 08:22 AM

As it stands, medium range is sadly underused. 90% of combat is either close quarters or long range. The 10% of medium ranged combat I've seen is in team matches, but it's mostly just providing covering fire for snipers to do their job.

The biggest difficulty for a medium range is being able to dictate the range well enough. (a CQC mech will just close the gap quickly, and a sniper will run away)
Solutions to this are either kiting, or something to discourage a CQC from rushing head-on (firepower, mines repulsion ray). I have to admit I haven't come up with an idea I like yet.

Weapons:

SA Hawkens:
A good all-round gun, but needs a home. For long range and short range there are better options, therefore this gun is rarely used (yes I know a few of you use it)
It seems like a good candidate for medium range optimization.

Hellfire Missiles:
Absolutely useless outside of a narrow range. Too far and its easy to dodge, too close and even if you have a lock the spread is too great to do much damage. Another good candidate, but needs some boosts.

Perhaps we'll see some new mechs better suited for this range in the future (I know of a couple candidates in alpha, but we're not allowed to talk about that). But it still comes down to range dictation, which a medium range mech should be best suited for.

Posted Image

#2 MistaLemur

MistaLemur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:14 AM

I have to agree with this, but I think that the controls factor pretty heavily into CQC being very common.
Simply put, the Shift+S to spin around is a little awkward whereas the Shift+W is very intuitive. New players (And I'm going to claim that everyone's a new player, since we haven't gotten a chance to really really play the game yet) will find it easier to run forward than to run backward, so the controls will seem to encourage CQC.

Because Shift+S is awkward to use, there's no good mechanism for keeping distance from CQC mechs if you're a medium-ranged mech.
You need to be able to keep distance while firing in order to make medium-range feasible, either from new controls or from new weapons.

Edited by MistaLemur, October 31 2012 - 10:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users