HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Semi independent weapon heating.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BuffMyRadius

BuffMyRadius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:57 PM

This may be a carryover from playing other mech games, but it would be nice if weapons heated somewhat separately from one another. The way I would like to see this implemented would work like this: firing the weapon on your right arm would initially only heat up that arm, as you pushed into higher heat levels the heat reading for your left hand weapon would start to increase too at a higher and higher rate. Overheating one weapon would only shut down that weapon, but, given the way that heat transfers between arms, this would mean that your other weapon would be close to overheating as well. Overheat both weapons and the systems shut down like normal. In other words, I want heating to work like it does in real life.I really enjoy the way that heating paces battles, I would just like the onset of overheat systems shutdowns to happen in distinct stages instead of getting warning lights until suddenly you cant do anything any more. All kinds of fun tactics could develop out of this. Only firing one weapon and using the other arm as a heat sink, firing just the longer range weapon until you get closer, then switching. All in all, gameplay wouldn't change too much, but it would definitely heighten the realism factor.This would require a numbers tweak, but all the mechs already have two heat bars so I don't think I'm asking for a radical redesign. What are your thoughts_
AMD 4130 BE @ 4.0 Ghz, ASRock Extreme3 970, 4x2GB 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport, Gigabyte r9 270x OC, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, OCZ Fatal1ty PSU, Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Case

#2 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:21 PM

Perhaps the weapons share a high volume heat exchanger. I say leave the integrated heating as is.

Just be a little lighter on the trigger and a shoot in controlled concise bursts. ;)

#3 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostBuffMyRadius, on October 31 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

This may be a carryover from playing other mech games, but it would be nice if weapons heated somewhat separately from one another. The way I would like to see this implemented would work like this: firing the weapon on your right arm would initially only heat up that arm, as you pushed into higher heat levels the heat reading for your left hand weapon would start to increase too at a higher and higher rate. Overheating one weapon would only shut down that weapon, but, given the way that heat transfers between arms, this would mean that your other weapon would be close to overheating as well. Overheat both weapons and the systems shut down like normal. In other words, I want heating to work like it does in real life.I really enjoy the way that heating paces battles, I would just like the onset of overheat systems shutdowns to happen in distinct stages instead of getting warning lights until suddenly you cant do anything any more. All kinds of fun tactics could develop out of this. Only firing one weapon and using the other arm as a heat sink, firing just the longer range weapon until you get closer, then switching. All in all, gameplay wouldn't change too much, but it would definitely heighten the realism factor.This would require a numbers tweak, but all the mechs already have two heat bars so I don't think I'm asking for a radical redesign. What are your thoughts_

YOU DONT OVERHEATING GUS !

YOU OVERHEATING MECH !

The red color of guns,while shooting, is just an extra visual indicator of overheating.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#4 BuffMyRadius

BuffMyRadius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:44 PM

Ah, my mech is made of liquid sodium. Got it. I must have missed that memo. lol!
AMD 4130 BE @ 4.0 Ghz, ASRock Extreme3 970, 4x2GB 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport, Gigabyte r9 270x OC, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, OCZ Fatal1ty PSU, Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Case

#5 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:52 PM

I dont hate this idea, but id still rather keep things the way they are.
Posted Image

#6 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:03 PM

I'm not saying your idea's bad, and this is just my opinion, but this, to me, seems like trying to edge towards the "sim" type of gameplay, whereas Hawken is being built to be a fast-paced arena FPS, a la TF2. I'm not starting this discussion again, because it's not winnable by anyone as other threads have already proven.

However, I could see different gametypes being added in later where things are a bit more sim-like, for people that want that. Independent heating of individual weapons (along with possible longer-term damage requiring picking up repair powerups or going back to base if in a non-deathmatch game mode), less-forgiving (in a sim way) physics that put momentum into play in a much more important way, etc. However, the core game isn't finished yet, so let's not add even more on op of the pile quite yet.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#7 Arcana13

Arcana13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 02:13 AM

I remembered older footage of the game to have independant heating for each weapon. Check out the vids at the main page. I am not opposed to the idea but things are fine as they are.

#8 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 01 2012 - 12:13 PM

Linked heat is a balance decision. It forces you to actually manage heat between your weapons
The low ROF on the special weapon means that there's little point in adding a specific heat bar to it. Firing is already limited on it
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#9 WAVER

WAVER

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 12:23 PM

leave it as it is. Its not a Mech Warrior (which I love) and we could also debate about shooting completely one hand of, than legs and so on.
NEW ADDRESS- europeandevils.enjin.com
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users