HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Loadout system & Directed Damage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Archimedes

Archimedes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 01:26 AM

One idea that has crossed my mind after playing the beta is the limited loadout system.  I'm curious to hear what others would think about if the Mechs had a loadout system similar to EvE Online where each mech would have a certain number of loading points, CPU Limits, Power Limits, Armor Limits, etc.  This could allow for a greater variety of mechs, possible strategy changes for both Solo and Team composition, and a surprise aspect.

The second aspect that crossed my mind is Directed or Targeted damage.  By directing damage to thrusters maybe it is slower or disabled temporarily. If a gun is taking more damage maybe it should overheat faster. Then by having more customizable utilities (Guns, Armor, other) one could counter/slow/resist certain directed damage.

What are your thoughts_

#2 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 10:08 AM

A fan of both in general, but not really a fan of having them in hawken because it seems like the devs are going more for a simple "counterstrike with re-spawning and Mechs" rather than a full on complex sim
Posted Image

#3 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 03 2012 - 03:37 PM

What you've described clearly sounds like a very different game than what Hawken is.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#4 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 03 2012 - 04:32 PM

Technical Lead Jon Kreuzer describes some of the inspirations behind the game in an interview, citing "MechWarrior for the weight and suspense, and Virtual On for the arcade style action." With this in mind, I think more in-depth loadout mechanics are interesting in their own right but might be slightly out of place within the game.

Dave Nguyen spoke to the idea of a modular damage system, though, in an interview, explaining that Adhesive are "still exploring the possibility of having different hit areas that affect the mech in different ways." This seems like a more appropriate addition to the game compared with the addition of extensive loadout systems.

Edited by Roundlay, November 03 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#5 Archimedes

Archimedes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 05:52 PM

I guess it crossed my mind when I began reading the posts about esports. After reading the interview I can say I have a better idea of what direction the Hawken team is headed in..

#6 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 09:00 PM

I'd like to see at least some really simple modular damage... like losing one of your weapons. (I also wish there was a third weapon mount point.) [I have to admit that overall I was a pretty sucky player, so anything that would make a match last a little longer would make it more fun for me, i.e., if you didn't die until you lost all your weapons you might last a bit longer.]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users