HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Two extremely silly, pointless, purely cosmetic, but awesome suggestions on mechs.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 06 2012 - 05:33 AM

It's pretty simple, and it would allow for an extra level of personalization and awesomeness.
  • Allow the mechs themselves to be named by the players, with these names displayed to other players. Obviously, we have our usernames, but some of us wouldn't mind a mech naming option. (We actually already kind of can; we're just the only ones who ever see it.) The killmessage across the middle could probably accommodate this fairly simply once the guts of it are hooked up - "Mechname (Pilotname) eliminated", "DOWNED by Mechname (Pilotname) [Weapon]", etc. This also gives you a bit of a tactical hint as to when a player switches mechs, which is good for upper-level play.
  • Allow us to apply a decal to the mech - kind of signifying it with a "logo." Think of it like sprays in TF2; the user could upload a decal (probably a PNG image since we'd want alpha channel support, 256x256 or maybe 512x512 if you want to be generous_) and it could get applied (depending on the type of mech) to the mech's shoulders, or chassis, or whatever.
They're pretty pointless suggestions, but in the end, it'd allow the better-known pilots to have some "on-sight" recognition, and I think it'd be pretty neat for those who want to be a little more "in-character" while they play.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#2 V3RTIGO

V3RTIGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 05:37 AM

I like this.

Posted Image

"Humans are not rational, but rationalizing."

#3 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 05:40 AM

But yet, you didn't like my post. :P

#4 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 06 2012 - 05:57 AM

There's one. :P

Showing a few stats about the mech that killed you, including its name, would be great. I can imagine custom decals not being a free item, but I'd like to see them either way.

Posted Image

#5 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 06:22 AM

I would agree on having a custom decal be put on the mech, or some in-game layered emblem generator.

Also it would be nice to buy some skins that allow you to change the color of it aside from the pattern changes already.

Cockpit window tint color_

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#6 KitNoct

KitNoct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSomewhere.

Posted November 06 2012 - 09:06 AM

This is pretty nice. The thought of decals and Mech Names seem pretty interesting enough. I can imagine my mech name already, and if there was a decal addition feature available I already have so many choices in store for one.

Oh, and I like your idea Night, Cockpit window tint colors sounds pretty interesting as well.
Hmmm, maybe you can be able to add multiple decals instead of one_ Maybe some preset decals for the people that just want something simple_

Edited by KitNoct, November 06 2012 - 09:06 AM.

Watch my back and I'll watch yours.

#7 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 06 2012 - 09:17 AM

This is an awsome idea I think.  I'd be surpirsed if the devs haven't gotten or thought of this idea already.   Naming a mech and decals are a great way to make your mech really feel like yours.  It's got my support, as for someone saying the decal be a pay for feature.  I can see myself paying for the option to do this just as long as I don't have to be charge each and everytime it is changed.  I'd change a few times before I finally settled on one unless I was lucky.

I hope someone from Meteor gives there thought on this,  no guarantee of course.

Edited by DDwarrior, November 06 2012 - 09:18 AM.

When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#8 Firemac

Firemac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 10:50 AM

I definitely agree with both these ideas. It would be nice to further personalize our mechs, I mean color and camo is nice and all but it would be really nice to know who is killing me.

Also:

View PostImmie, on November 06 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

Showing a few stats about the mech that killed you, including its name, would be great. I can imagine custom decals not being a free item, but I'd like to see them either way.
I really agree with this. If we could make decals that are like avatars for our mechs then when someone dies, not only would it show the mech but show a small profile menu consisting of mech class, pilot name, decal portrait, etc.

#9 SirMilagres

SirMilagres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted November 06 2012 - 12:32 PM

Both great ideas!
But stiil knowing what type of mech killed you is good for beginners.
So: Mechname (pilotname) {infiltrator}

No need to be on the killmessage, just at the scoreboard.
Wouldn't hurt

Edited by SirMilagres, November 06 2012 - 12:33 PM.

Best weapon on a zombie outbreak_ Mechs.

#10 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yes, definitely. (totally does not have many re-named weapons in TF2)

As for decals, it would be cool to have an option for it be free, where it can only be placed on a pre-determined spot on the mech. Paying permanently unlocks the option to place the decal where ever you wish or on other pre-determined areas. Changing the decal location should be something you can do whenever you wish after you pay once.

EDIT: It would be a per-chassis thing, that is, you pay for it on your assault and can change it as much as you want on assault, but have to pay again to change sharpshooter.

Edited by TheChaffeemancer, November 06 2012 - 01:48 PM.

Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#11 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 06 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

As for decals, it would be cool to have an option for it be free, where it can only be placed on a pre-determined spot on the mech. Paying permanently unlocks the option to place the decal where ever you wish or on other pre-determined areas. Changing the decal location should be something you can do whenever you wish after you pay once.

EDIT: It would be a per-chassis thing, that is, you pay for it on your assault and can change it as much as you want on assault, but have to pay again to change sharpshooter.
Well yeah, I kind of stabbed at that, since some mech body types would be good at one versus the other.

Also, obviously since it's cosmetics, a small fee should no doubt be charged for it.

#12 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 06 2012 - 02:31 PM

BRACE YOURSELF FOR STOMPYBOT 9000

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#13 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 07 2012 - 09:48 AM

Cockpit fuzzy dice, air freshener trees and bobbleheads... need I say more.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#14 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:05 PM

So you did!

#15 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:00 PM

I recall requesting these exact things back in Alpha 2. Hopefully we'll see something along those lines soon.
Posted Image

#16 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:18 AM

May have to get more people posting on this thread.  At the very least get someone at Meteor to notice and give a simple reply or thought.  I'm nicely surprised I'm not the only one wanting decal bad enough to pay for it.  I understand the potential for it be abused possibly but I don't think it'd be a large issue.

"Is it against the rules to make an new post with a link to this one_ Actually people may find that annoying so probably not the best idea"
When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users