HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Remove the death total.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 08 2012 - 04:46 PM

Something i brought up in another post about the loss of kills when snipers pick off your kills.

Since EXP is the only important thing in the scoreboard (as everyone has told me it's not about K/D ratio) then why don't we just remove death score all together_

I think it would emphasize team work more directly, when it doesn't discourage you from engaging the enemy until they are almost dead.

Edited by TheAriDee, November 08 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#2 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:00 PM

Actually, deaths are still important in some game modes, like DM/TDM. A guy who is going 1:1 but leading the scoreboard is technically a worse player if the guy who's in third place has a higher K/D ratio. Without deaths, it's impossible to extrapolate this information.

Therefore, absolutely against this. It's still necessary for at least some game modes.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#3 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:16 PM

True. But it wouldn't be needed in Siege that's for sure!

#4 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:19 PM

It's less important in Siege, but it could still be somewhat useful. If I see a sharpshooter who went 5-0, for example, but didn't pick up or deliver much EU, I can tell he did not go to the energy points, nor the AA, and basically just hung back and sniped all match, thus basically being a waste of space.

Then again, that's me doing meta-analysis.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 08 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#5 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 08 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

It's less important in Siege, but it could still be somewhat useful. If I see a sharpshooter who went 5-0, for example, but didn't pick up or deliver much EU, I can tell he did not go to the energy points, nor the AA, and basically just hung back and sniped all match, thus basically being a waste of space.

Then again, that's me doing meta-analysis.

Well, that's more looking at EU picked up and dropped rather then deaths.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#6 Analysis

Analysis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 06:00 PM

I have to disagree with the removal of deaths in any game type. The k/d ratio might not be the most important aspect depending on the game type, but it is nice to know how a player is stacking up.

I hope this game gets even more competitive. If they remove any stats and just include kills this will hurt the competitive crowd.

#7 LinuxDaemon

LinuxDaemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 06:12 PM

As was also mentioned in the other thread, an Assist/Death ratio or even a Kill/Assist/Death ratio in player stats would be nice, so that those who do have a lot of assists get recognized.

#8 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 07:14 PM

I think deaths are pretty useful to see. I'd rather see Kills and Assists removed in objective based game types before deaths.
Desert Fox

#9 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 08 2012 - 07:42 PM

I wouldn't mind if they removed the death counter in Siege/CTF(It's coming, right_), but it should absolutely stay in the other modes. Not showing deaths really helps players stay comfortable while they are still learning the game, and with Hawken's learning curve, new players climbing the slope and staying with it should be top priority.

Edited by Immie, November 08 2012 - 07:43 PM.

Posted Image

#10 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 09:58 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 08 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Well, that's more looking at EU picked up and dropped rather then deaths.
Well, if he'd went to the AA, I'd expect him to have died a few times, basically, unless he's godly good or the competition is clueless. :P

#11 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 10:29 PM

Leave it in. You died, it's a game, you'll respawn. That's how games work.

If people are going to focus on K/D ratios instead of objectives, let them. They won't be very welcomed in team-objective gametypes unless they can pull off lone wolfing to the point where they're able to hold back half the other team from getting near the objective. But institutionally removing kill/death counts from the scoreboard is entirely unnecessary, in my opinion. Why would you remove information_

And what would you say to someone who's trying to test a build for survivability in Siege_ Sorry, you're going to have to keep track of your deaths manually because we decided that killing mechs shouldn't be rewarded in our mech combat game when there's a map objective to deal with_
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#12 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted November 08 2012 - 10:40 PM

I'm feeling like the odd one out, because i agree with the OP. Why_ K/D in objective modes encourages TDM-like kill wh*ring.

It's fine in TDM and DM though.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#13 driftaholic

driftaholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ, USA

Posted November 08 2012 - 11:18 PM

Kills and assists should be removed in those modes also as they essentially encourage the same as a death score.

All the info should stay.

Edited by driftaholic, November 08 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#14 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:14 AM

I highly disagree. I often do not return energy in siege because I'm holding the line to let my team do the footwork to take energy back to base.

Being able to see who is doing what on the team does help, I've been in games where just myself and maybe one more are carrying the team so I know not to expect too much backup in firefights.

Played with AsianJoyKiller last night, Asian held the silo in the middle and moved no energy, I ran energy back and forth. I had no qualms about it. My K/D wasn't as high, but my overall score was high because moving energy helps.
Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

#15 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:17 PM

I'm very much of the opinion that more data = more human. The problem is not that the wrong / too much data is being displayed- the problem is that some people are just misplacing emphases.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#16 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostAelieth, on November 09 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

I highly disagree. I often do not return energy in siege because I'm holding the line to let my team do the footwork to take energy back to base.

Being able to see who is doing what on the team does help, I've been in games where just myself and maybe one more are carrying the team so I know not to expect too much backup in firefights.

Played with AsianJoyKiller last night, Asian held the silo in the middle and moved no energy, I ran energy back and forth. I had no qualms about it. My K/D wasn't as high, but my overall score was high because moving energy helps.
Well, that's why I look at the class, too. If it's a Brawler with a high K/D, I know he was pretty much holding the line.

There's a reason I had "Sharpshooter" in my example. :P

#17 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:36 PM

TBH I think it's fine to have Deaths in
The primary issue with having these stats is that people don't always look at the full picture. In some cases having more numbers to throw out can help, but even that doesn't always work
Like, for instance, DarkPulse's example
It certainly wasn't 5-0, but I did have a match yesterday where pretty much the best spot I could be in (on Sahara Missile Assault) was where I was.
I could harass the mid-point mechs a little, as well as blast any mechs trying to take down our cappers til they were low enough to be guaranteed kills.
I helped one or two people on point take out double their number or more just because of where my line of sight was
...and if my Siege match worked out that way, I'd have done it there too

That said, I like being able to see how well I did in a match, even if I was just goofing off half the time. I actually like keeping track of my OWN deaths to try to figure out how to lower them further (not sure what I'll do once I hit zero.... go crazy for kills I guess_)
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users