HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Toggle repair and friends on HUD.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hi Adhesive!
Thanks for a fantastic game!

I have two suggestions.
First, I'd really like to see a "toggle repair" option in the game. Usually, when I'm repairing my mech, I have time on my hands to type a taunt in the chat, or type something on Steam to the friend I'm playing with. That's complicated quite a bit, however, since I'll have to keep holding C to repair. Sure if I bind it to say, CTRL, I could still (quite uncomfortably) type in the chat, but it's a bit of a hassle, and it still prevents me from typing in the chat in the Steam overlay. So an option to toggle the repair mode on or off would be most welcome!

Secondly, it'd be great if any friends you have that are currently in your game would be marked more clearly on the HUD. Having their name show up in green would go a long way, but also having a marker point you in the direction of your friend would be most handy! Any additional HUD items, like pointers outlining the direction of your friend(s), should be optional, of couse.
This is some info that should be apparant to you at a glance, rather than having to study the names in detail (which can be quite difficult when running at the lowest resolution, I might add!). It would make it a lot easier to enjoy the game with friends!

Cheers, thanks, and keep up the great work!

EDIT: Added a sentence.

Edited by Skafsgaard, November 09 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:05 AM

Understand that I am offering up a counter-opinion to yours, not calling you stupid.

If you're repairing, you're too busy repairing. That's a time when you are vulnerable and defenseless. Typing in chat takes some of the risk out of it because that's time you could be shouting for help. If push-to-talk's working and enabled, mind you, you can probably use that instead.

I think putting friends in the in-game HUD, especially tracking markers like what you describe, could be a very bad advantage, since that goes above and beyond the existing radar functionality. Now, if a friend of yours is currently on screen and you would be getting a red targeting reticule (assuming they're on the other team), I see no reason why there couldn't be, say, a green glow around them in the HUD to indicate they're a friend of yours, regardless of team. But no telepathic markers, it's like giving you wallhacks.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:09 AM

Push to talk to call for help is ok, but typing isn't_ That's absurd. I see no reason why toggle repair shouldn't be an option.

As for friends appearing on the HUD, I think that's fine too- don't make the indicators any different other than making their name green/blue. There's no advantage if they don't appear sooner, through walls, or anything like that.

Posted Image

#4 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:15 AM

I guess it could work. I'm usually too busy watching my surroundings to worry about typing when I'm repairing.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#5 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:16 AM

i would love friends to be marked a different colour specifically blue

white for allies as it currently is
red for enemys as it currently is
blue for friends

why blue well I'm red/green colour blind so in the heat of the battle i might mistake him for an enemy and waste time shooting at him if he were green

#6 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:18 AM

What if your friend is on the other team_

At any rate, the exact details of how a friend would be represented visually are not important. I like the idea, overall, as long as it doesn't provide an unfair advantage.

#7 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostElix, on November 09 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

What if your friend is on the other team_

At any rate, the exact details of how a friend would be represented visually are not important. I like the idea, overall, as long as it doesn't provide an unfair advantage.

if there on the other team they should be red and if people really want the option to kill there friend id say make them orange (obviously only visible when you mouse over them etc)

#8 Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for your input, Elix, as well as the others!

I agree, if you want to play optimally, you won't bother with chatting while you're repairing - you'll keep an eye out for incoming enemies. However, if you're just enjoying some more casual play, especially with friends, you can afford to be more careless. I think the game should be accommodate both types of play.

As for friends being highlighted in your HUD, I strictly meant friends on the same team as you. There shouldn't ever be any gameplay advantage to playing with friends, other than the fact that you might coordinate better.
The devs could make your friends on the enemy team be highlighted in yellow or some such, however, they should only show up on your radar and HUD if you would have been able to see them even if they aren't on your friends list.

#9 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:18 PM

Regarding chatting while repairing, I do see your point. And, I think we're all basically on the same page regarding friends highlighting, now that you've clarified that you meant it to be quite limited.

Maybe people that are on your friends list, and on your team, can have a faint outline around them in some colour that'll stand out (maybe white). I know the game's capable of doing this, because I've seen the game outline the target mech in a thin red line at the end of a match, when the camera points at one single mech (the MVP, I guess_). It's subtle, but it's something you would have the time to notice on the way out of spawn before the battle begins, and then you'd be on the lookout for, say, the TV mech with the ice camo with purple trim (I don't know) with the white outline around it.

#10 Cest7

Cest7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationVan

Posted November 09 2012 - 03:58 PM

Yeah toggle repair would be nice.
Bah weep granah weep ninnybong, the universal greeting works every time.

#11 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 07:12 PM

Bump.

I want toggle repairs.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users