HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Dash... Really ___

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RavenSol

RavenSol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:05 PM

First time i seen it used i thought oh great i'm lagging or about to dc  but no it is accually in the game. It really is,  not sure why but it is.  Now i could see a sideways avoid skill that uses your jets  and have a small cooldown period of some sort. But as it is now  you just see plp dancing side to side  constantly.  Yes i am being nit picky but  it is hurting  the emersion of the game  and isn't  even posible  the way it is implemented. Ya i said it, i like to at least have things that happen in the game fit the physics of the game.  If your going to put something this overpowered in the game  at least feign a atempt at making it look posible and real (inline with your game world)

#2 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:09 PM

I think it's fine. :unsure:

Posted Image

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:11 PM

It does have a cooldown period. And as you level up your mech, you can choose to reduce that cooldown somewhat in lieu of other upgrades or enhancements. The name of the game is agility. I told you that in the other thread you made.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#4 KyRoS

KyRoS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:22 PM

This is a big part of why I like the game. I prefer a fast paced shooter style as to a slow "sim" type of game. I think they nailed it perfect myself.

#5 RavenSol

RavenSol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostElix, on November 09 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

It does have a cooldown period. And as you level up your mech, you can choose to reduce that cooldown somewhat in lieu of other upgrades or enhancements. The name of the game is agility. I told you that in the other thread you made.
yes but it is not a agility problem  or even a twitchy problem it is however a  imposible manuver  to be believed  in the game with the physic model that is being used.  I know i am being picky  but this is a closed beta   so i'm supposed to be.  I will say  that in no way would i want them to loose this skill  i just want it more inline  with how it should work in this game with the boundries they have set.

#6 womb

womb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:28 PM

i think it looks just fine, (although i can't hit a good infiltrator when he knows how to dash). these evasive movements are to compensate the lack of defense of some classes. you just have to get used to it. i can asure you a well trained sniper can hit someone at the moment it dashes (even being a fast movement, it's predictable and constant, so not hard to train yourself to hit someone while on dash).
summing up: no, i don't think it's OP'd. As for reallity, we are driving giant warmachines that can fly, recover health from light blobs that drop from broken mechs and flying. it's not suposed to be real, it's supposed to be fun :D

Posted Image

#7 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostRavenSol, on November 09 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

yes but it is not a agility problem  or even a twitchy problem it is however a  imposible manuver  to be believed  in the game with the physic model that is being used.
I suggest against getting into the "it's not realistic" line of arguments, because you are talking about a mech that's got to weigh at least 20 tons, with unlimited ammunition and the ability to fly in short bursts with unlimited fuel (that depletes and recharges automatically), picking up floating, glowing golden orbs that automatically repair the mech's damages, even if it is on fire. A sideways dash is just a gameplay element. Argue that on its own merits, but don't invoke realism, because the entire thing falls apart.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#8 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:33 PM

I think you're playing the wrong game if you are looking for total immersion and realism.

#9 RavenSol

RavenSol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:54 PM

i am in no way shape or form  talking about real world physics. I am however talking about  the physics laid forth in this game  only this game nothing else.   All i am  saying here is a almost instant dodge  movement to the side  as it is in the game right now. That move doesn't fit  anything else in the game. It would fit  if this was wizzards vrs mechs  then you could have a  magic blink  dash.    I would also like to say  thank you guys for keeping this a accual debate of ideas and opions. That is cool and doesnt' usually happen on a game forum.

#10 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:56 PM

I still see absolutely no point in arguing over whether something is physically possible, since you have unlimited ammo in a finite mass and space.

Argue about it as a game mechanic, not as an element of the lore. You only weaken your own arguments by doing that. Stick to actual mechanical game impacts.

#11 Entity

Entity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNiyabainen IV - Moon 1 - CNAP

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:58 PM

Oh yeah, realism. If this game was realistic, you'd be:
- tripping over all the uneven terrain all the time
- toppling over due to a missile impact (if not outright exploding in a huge ball of fire)
- falling over or limping around helplessly in circles as soon as a stray bullet hits your leg hydraulics
- etc...

Dash is fine.

#12 Rooslin

Rooslin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 02:05 PM

these could be nuclear powered mechs so they can do what they want!

OT:

View PostEntity, on November 09 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Oh yeah, realism. If this game was realistic, you'd be:
- tripping over all the uneven terrain all the time
- toppling over due to a missile impact (if not outright exploding in a huge ball of fire)
- falling over or limping around helplessly in circles as soon as a stray bullet hits your leg hydraulics
- etc...

Dash is fine.

#13 womb

womb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 03:17 PM

and it does makes sense. as the fuel recharging and the fuel generator internal item (available for purchase) sugests, the mechs are able to generate fuel, but it takes a little time. by bursting everything they have, they can move quickly to the side, on a big controlled explosion. but by doing so, they run out of fuel, and have to wait for the fuel generator to refill the gas tank. so yes, it does make sense in the game's internal laws :D

Posted Image

#14 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:51 AM

Not realistic but definitely authentic
When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users