HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Show how much health is left in a repair orb

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:20 PM

Simple suggestion; have a little HUD popup (like the friend/for identifiers) appear over each health drop, showing numerically how much healing is remaining in it. This will:
  • Make it a little more obvious that there's health in those things (most new players are confused as to what they are)
  • Give players access to vital health management information
If I am repairing, and I see a few health drops sitting nearby, I currently have no idea whether or not it would be worth it to stop repairing and go grab them; I could either get a full heal or almost nothing. If a little number was showing us exactly how much was left, a strong player could perform a little combat math and decide when to stop repairs and start collecting drops.

Posted Image

#2 hitabowl

hitabowl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:51 PM

Completely agree.

#3 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hm, I like this idea, but am concerned it could clutter up the HUD with the numbers blocking your view of enemy mechs.

I generally find that it is worth jetting over to a health pod and dropping into repair mode while sitting on it regardless of how much HP it might have left. It means a much faster overall repair rate, even if it is only for a few seconds in total.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#4 Hunderpanzer

Hunderpanzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostNitris, on November 09 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

Hm, I like this idea, but am concerned it could clutter up the HUD with the numbers blocking your view of enemy mechs.

I generally find that it is worth jetting over to a health pod and dropping into repair mode while sitting on it regardless of how much HP it might have left. It means a much faster overall repair rate, even if it is only for a few seconds in total.

Of course, that's the best way, but if you have 2 or 3 laying around you, you want to make sure you get the best one for the amount of time you can afford to spend on it.

I agree with the suggestion

Edited by Hunderpanzer, November 09 2012 - 06:00 PM.

Posted Image

#5 haze4peace

haze4peace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:13 PM

I think having an actual value show up would be too much clutter and be generally too easy. I would be okay with the size of the orb correlating with the amount of hp left to give though. Maybe even a color difference, nothing too drastic, but a more intense yellow for more hp and a desaturated yellow for less.

#6 Hunderpanzer

Hunderpanzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:15 PM

View Posthaze4peace, on November 09 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

I think having an actual value show up would be too much clutter and be generally too easy. I would be okay with the size of the orb correlating with the amount of hp left to give though. Maybe even a color difference, nothing too drastic, but a more intense yellow for more hp and a desaturated yellow for less.

A great alternative.
Posted Image

#7 hitabowl

hitabowl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 06:34 PM

I think this is a better idea than having an actual number value in/around the orb. Maybe Meteor could institute something like red = 0-25, yellow = 25-50, green = 50-75 etc (something like that). I think size may be confusing and hard to distiguish from afar. Having the orbs change colour as they're used would also greatly help.

#8 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 09 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm pretty sure all health orbs drop the same amount. Someone should test it.

Of course, it's possible to graze an orb and take some, but not all, of it.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#9 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 08:15 PM

I was under the impression that the orbs slowly dissapate over time, so even if noone touches the orb, it could be more-or-less empty by the time you get to it.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#10 SirMilagres

SirMilagres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted November 10 2012 - 04:49 AM

Orbs do disappear over time. I don't know if they slowly decrease the amount of healing until they're gone, though.

I like TC idea. But I think a visual diference would fit better. Someone said colours, it could be bigger/smaller orbs... these or numbers as TC said would be a welcome addition
Best weapon on a zombie outbreak_ Mechs.

#11 Cinj

Cinj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 04:57 AM

Personally, I think having different colors would be a little garish and you should also take into account colorblind players as well. Having different sizes sounds better to me.

#12 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'm pretty sure they are smaller/larger based on how much health is in them. I can usually tell when it's a big one with a lot of health. I'm somewhat against the numbers just because that feels really gamey to me. I almost always pick them up because I don't want an enemy to. Maybe the color should change based on its health so that you at least have an idea. Either way this thread shows that the amount of health left in the orb is not being communicated properly.

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 12 2012 - 10:43 AM

Current orbs add certain suspense factor as they are now... although 3 degrees of color indicating how worth are orbs does not sound so bad to me either.. but make it subtle, please.

Edited by The_Silencer, November 12 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#14 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:35 PM

And/or perhaps having the orb be brighter/more opaque for more HP and less bright/more transparent for less.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#15 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 13 2012 - 05:13 AM

I would appreciate some sort of indicator, be it numeric, via health bar, or color based.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users