HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Heavier Mechs Feel_

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mkddfreak

mkddfreak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:39 PM

I have been playing some beta lately,
I have noticed that medium, and light mechs far outclass the heavier ones. Heavy mechs, are easily chased, taken down, and can take long times to repair, compared to lighter mechs who can run and gun, but when damaged, can come in and out of a fight faster. Although heavy mechs may pack a punch, I feel that the weapons they have are more for support, rather than head on fighting, which happens often. I think that for most heavier mechs, the hellfire missle speeds are too slow. Most of the time, even locked in, a lighter mech can quickly dash behind cover, or a building to avoid even the homing rockets. Although heavier mechs are decent against their own class, as well as medium mechs, I feel as if they have a disadvantage, and don't see many people using them, just because they can't do the damage they need to. In conclusion, I think heavier mechs need a heavier source of damage with more reliability, that makes them competitive against lighter mechs.
I would like peoples Opinion.
-Mkddfreak

#2 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:53 PM

C-Class mechs in general have been given plenty of suggestions for improvements, all that is really needed is some attended love from the developers. Most of the time they're just big punching bags in Turret Mode. They really don't have a lot going for them besides the Hellfire Missiles the Rocketeer has--which isn't even that great but is still my favorite secondary, and the Brawler's Flak Cannon. Armor aside, they really don't have much of anything else to redeem them.

Brawler's Flak Cannon / TOW set-up feels for an obvious close-range combat, but he really lacks the ability to chase down most mechs, with the ability (heavily suggested for improvement/changes) that is probably only useful for corner camping which can still be easily avoided and countered. Rocketeer is more of a ranged support, though in good hands it can be quite a hard-hitting mech, it is still very slow and vulnerable. Its ability for "increased mobility" is more-or-less a joke, as a turtle with "10%" more speed is still incredibly slow.

They really, mostly need their ability to help match their name and allow them to play their roles better. Brawler would make a great tanky mech if it could charge in up close to mechs much more easily, and not be hindered to a crawl in Turret Mode. With Rocketeer would definitely live up to its name if it could use its Hellfires more effectively, my preference being something along the lines of allowing more heat dissipation or faster fire rate while using its ability. Mostly to make up for being a fat target in general.

#3 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 10 2012 - 01:32 AM

I find myself to be able to slug it out against Assaults. Infiltrators though, I definitely have a real hard time chasing down - but aren't those lights supposed to be able to flee quite well_

Brawlers have a certain shine when it comes to Missile/Siege, where the concern isn't so much kills than it is getting the job done. And there's a certain level of forced confrontation. The Brawler has very good staying power, so while it isn't going to arrive at points the fastest - it sure is going to stay there the longest.

What the Brawler needs though isn't a turret mode. Heck, a turret mode seems like the most oxymoron ability for it to have. Close quarters combat is fast and visceral and the Brawler's forte and the ability to turn into a semi-fixed emplacement doesn't really do jack. An ability that increases forward dash acceleration or something would seem more in line.

#4 Novaflare

Novaflare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTybee Island

Posted November 10 2012 - 12:30 PM

I don't really know what to think outside of that lights can tech to be almost too fast.

I'd rather blame the tech tree for being the same for every mech than the mechs themselves.  obviously agility is going to get you hit less.

I still haven't found out if I can turn faster with a higher mouse sensitivity or something, so maybe that's all it takes playing a heavy to keep ur screen on the light mechs at all times.

all i know is if I'm not teched movement speed with a brawler, I have a hard time getting from a to b and keeping my scoring momentum up in deathmatch
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users