HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Aspect Ratio Cuts Off the Cockpit UI

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lev_Astov

Lev_Astov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 02:15 PM

Summary:
Hawken treats aspect ratios in such a way that with wide monitor setups or arrays, undesirable effects occurr, like cutting off sections of the cockpit.

Reproduce: Use any extra wide screen, be it a 21:9 LCD, triple monitor array, or more fancy setups

Frequency: Always

Severity: 3 (hard to judge this one, but it really kills the game on an expensive monitor setup)

Details:
I've been enjoying Hawken greatly each time I play, but one major issue is really getting to me.  The game is what the widescreen community calls "Vert-."  This is the worst way to deal with aspect ratios.  I am not familiar with the coding involved, but according to the fellows at the Widescreen Gaming Forum (http://www.wsgf.org/) it should be quite easy.  Many of them make hacks that fix this in games that can't easily adjust the FOV in the ini config files (what I've had to do here).

The main problem with this in Hawken is what it does to the cockpit.  Even once I've fixed the FOV so I can see more than what's directly behind my crosshairs, I still cannot see any of the cockpit UI. e.g. the fuel gauge, health, or map.  See the attached screenshot for a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Attached File  High Aspect Ratio Hawken 1.jpg   85.63K   24 downloads
Attached File  High Aspect Ratio Hawken 1.zip   1.32MB   5 downloads
(Sorry I'm having trouble uploading the image and I don't want to use a public uploader)

Please, Meteor, please correct the method of aspect ratio adjustment.  If you would like to get in touch with the WSGF people for any input, let me know and I'll hunt down the best people for you to talk to.  You've got to do something like this to get the Oculus Rift working anyway, right_

For reference, my system is as follows:
-Monitor: 3840x1200, comprised of two projectors connected via a Matrox Triplehead2go Digital splitter
-CPU: i7-2600k
-RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
-Video 2x MSI N560GTX-Ti 448

Edited by Lev_Astov, November 10 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#2 Lev_Astov

Lev_Astov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:11 PM

Is no one else bothered by this_  Am I going to have to hack Hawken so that I can see it like I must for so many AAA games bogged down by big publishers_  This would be very disappointing, but not undoable.  The U3 engine is pretty forgiving.

I just ran into the same problem in vehicles in Planetside 2.  Fortunately, people have put together some nice hacks to fix that already in the form of the Flawless Widescreen fixer, among others.

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:23 PM

Landscape multimonitor widescreen is only partially supported at the moment. It generally works, but the UI doesn't scale properly to handle such things. This is a known issue, and you could've found multiple threads for exactly the same issue if you searched.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users