HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

SHOOT AT ER'THANG!!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DeFrank

DeFrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm new so forgive me if this has already been brought up. I think that the points for assists need adjusted. I just went 16/5 and had 2 people above me in rank with 9 and 11 kills. I don't necessarily feel that assist point should be taken out completely, but with the current scoring system it seems more beneficial to shoot at everything with reckless abandon instead of try to stay alive since every point of damage nets you points. Careful and skilled play is being punished and the problem with that is that it is dumb.

I suppose it could be fixed by giving more xp for kills or reducing the value of assists.

#2 DeFrank

DeFrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 12:00 PM

Also, regarding the "shoot until you die" strategy: Dying seems to be the only way to refresh your specials, which promotes reckless play even more.

#3 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 12:05 PM

You shouldn't be afraid of dying. That's what keeps it fast paced. There is no shame in blowing up if you can take an enemy or two with you. And it's incredibly satisfying when you get a 14 kill streak.

As a side note, if you do get a significant kill streak without dying, you do get a significantly large bonus to your XP.

Edited by Inny, November 11 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#4 DeFrank

DeFrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostInny, on November 11 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

You shouldn't be afraid of dying. That's what keeps it fast paced. There is no shame in blowing up if you can take an enemy or two with you. And it's incredibly satisfying when you get a 14 kill streak.

I see your point. But there's a fine line between keeping the game fast-paced and spam promotion. It seems like with the game in its current form too much is hinging on the pure luck of how many people happen to end up in front of you or in your vicinity. There is little motivation or reward for finishing the job, just fire until you're dead.

#5 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted November 11 2012 - 04:58 PM

One of the biggest annoyances I see when playing in a team match is players whining about 'you stole my kill' or concentrating only on how many kills they get, often to the detriment of the team.  The current system, I think, does a pretty good job in balancing out the points given between landing the final blow and helping wear the enemy down.

Don't forget that assist points are also based on how much damage you did to a particular target, and there is a time limit (IIRC it's 10 seconds) placed on when it applies (you can't get an assist for someone being killed that out hit 30 seconds ago).  Of course, this may be bugged as well, and I've not been in a situation to be able to test these limits myself.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#6 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 11 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostDeFrank, on November 11 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

I'm new so forgive me if this has already been brought up. I think that the points for assists need adjusted. I just went 16/5 and had 2 people above me in rank with 9 and 11 kills. I don't necessarily feel that assist point should be taken out completely, but with the current scoring system it seems more beneficial to shoot at everything with reckless abandon instead of try to stay alive since every point of damage nets you points. Careful and skilled play is being punished and the problem with that is that it is dumb.

I suppose it could be fixed by giving more xp for kills or reducing the value of assists.
Leaderboard is actually sorted by XP gained, not by K/D Ratio. So while you had the higher kills, they got more XP - so they were technically better players than you.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#7 DeFrank

DeFrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 11 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

View PostDeFrank, on November 11 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Leaderboard is actually sorted by XP gained, not by K/D Ratio. So while you had the higher kills, they got more XP - so they were technically better players than you.

Right. They got more XP as a result of the way the current xp is calculated. That's what prompted the post. :)

#8 MK501

MK501

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:07 AM

I think this game does a wonderful job with the current scoring system ( at least for the objective based modes ). I'm very happy it doesn't focus on the K/D ratio in essence, the reward for assists seems to be right in place. In my opinion, the way the scroing is being handled actually promotes teamplay, as it should be.
Posted Image

#9 DeFrank

DeFrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostMK501, on November 12 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

I think this game does a wonderful job with the current scoring system ( at least for the objective based modes ). I'm very happy it doesn't focus on the K/D ratio in essence, the reward for assists seems to be right in place. In my opinion, the way the scroing is being handled actually promotes teamplay, as it should be.

I can agree with that. It's the deathmatch scoring that I believe to have an issue.

#10 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostDeFrank, on November 12 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Right. They got more XP as a result of the way the current xp is calculated. That's what prompted the post. :)
Well, the relative value of both kills and assists is dictacted by how much damage was caused. Whoever did the most damage to the mech before it's destroyed will get the lion's share of the XP, regardless of who landed the kill shot. (There's also some other factors as well, like kill streaks, etc. but I'm just speaking in regular terms here.)

This is how a person can have a better K/D but be lower on the XP ladder - they basically got the final shots, but the guys who did most of the fighting got more of the XP - putting them on top of you.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 12 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#11 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:27 AM

@OP: Exp amount gained for a kill or assist is not a flat amount, it is based on how much damage you have done before the enemy died, and as far as I have seen there is no boost for landing the finishing blow.

This in and of itself is enough to make pinging everyone just a few times with your AR and not attempting to get kills or do real damage fairly pointless, and also on the flip side of that kill stealing is also not going to be getting you much EXP if all you did was do the last 5% total damage.

I see no problem with this, at all.

What probably happened with those two pilots higher up on the scoreboard than you was that they were either doing the actual objectives of the gametype (dropping off EU, capping silos) or indeed, having their kills stolen-- possibly by you_ It is not important, because the fact is you don't and cannot earn EXP for doing absolutely nothing, therefore they earned that EXP and their places on the scoreboard.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#12 DeFrank

DeFrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostNitris, on November 12 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

@OP: Exp amount gained for a kill or assist is not a flat amount, it is based on how much damage you have done before the enemy died, and as far as I have seen there is no boost for landing the finishing blow.

This in and of itself is enough to make pinging everyone just a few times with your AR and not attempting to get kills or do real damage fairly pointless, and also on the flip side of that kill stealing is also not going to be getting you much EXP if all you did was do the last 5% total damage.

I see no problem with this, at all.

What probably happened with those two pilots higher up on the scoreboard than you was that they were either doing the actual objectives of the gametype (dropping off EU, capping silos) or indeed, having their kills stolen-- possibly by you_ It is not important, because the fact is you don't and cannot earn EXP for doing absolutely nothing, therefore they earned that EXP and their places on the scoreboard.

I guess what I was doing could be qualified as kill stealing, but in a pure deathmatch matchtype I think that distinction should be made a bit differently I guess.

In deathmatch it seems like it makes little sense to try to stay alive, that's what I take issue with. Why go heal and try to survive if there are no benefits whatsoever_ There is no XP penalty for dying. Just deal as much damage until you are dead and then you respawn with no countdown whatsoever with all abilities restocked.

Admittedly, in other matchtypes though this less of a problem.

#13 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 12 2012 - 10:56 AM

You get awarded bonus XP for kill streaks. The penalty for dying is having your streak reset (also being put out of the action, wasting time that could be spent getting points).
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#14 DeFrank

DeFrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostFrenotx, on November 12 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

You get awarded bonus XP for kill streaks. The penalty for dying is having your streak reset (also being put out of the action, wasting time that could be spent getting points).

The killstreak bonus defninitely lightens the blow. I was completely unaware of it. Thanks for the info. :)

#15 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 12:34 PM

Be warned: Long post.

XP gained in a nutshell:

Spoiler

Hawken Points gained in a nutshell. BE ADVISED, THIS INFO IS PROBABLY INCORRECT. Anything I am not sure on, I put question marks instead.

Spoiler

Edited by DarkPulse, November 12 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#16 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 12 2012 - 02:35 PM

View Postbacon_avenger, on November 11 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

One of the biggest annoyances I see when playing in a team match is players whining about 'you stole my kill' or concentrating only on how many kills they get, often to the detriment of the team.  The current system, I think, does a pretty good job in balancing out the points given between landing the final blow and helping wear the enemy down.

Don't forget that assist points are also based on how much damage you did to a particular target, and there is a time limit (IIRC it's 10 seconds) placed on when it applies (you can't get an assist for someone being killed that out hit 30 seconds ago).  Of course, this may be bugged as well, and I've not been in a situation to be able to test these limits myself.
Not to mention the amount of power-up health received off of the dead is directly proportional to the amount of damage you inflicted on that person/mech. The random pickup health is all one-size from what I can tell.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#17 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 12 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Be warned: Long post.

XP gained in a nutshell:

Spoiler

Hawken Points gained in a nutshell. BE ADVISED, THIS INFO IS PROBABLY INCORRECT. Anything I am not sure on, I put question marks instead.

Spoiler

jesus where the hell are you getting this info_! Awesome post

Edited by ItsThatGuy, November 12 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#18 Vertigo

Vertigo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Québec

Posted November 12 2012 - 04:28 PM

I think siege is really the most conductive to team play. K/D doesn't mean a thing if you don't pick up the EU of your fallen enemies, which means you need to get in close and personal. Also it might be because C-Class Mechs are actually useful in that mode.
Posted Image

#19 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostItsThatGuy, on November 12 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

jesus where the hell are you getting this info_! Awesome post
Partially observation of my screenshots (that's the Hawken Point numbers), partially from digging in game files.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users