HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Multiplayer: Crossing the console voids

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Qwet

Qwet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmesa AZ

Posted April 21 2011 - 01:28 PM

well i understand that portal two co op can have a PC player and a  PS3 player in the same game. (which by the way is an extremely fun game)  im curious is how hard would it be to make it so Hawken could have a similar deal. would this be something they would have to hash out with Microsoft and Sony or would it only depend on what they allow servers to take in. I don't know enough about the whole system of server to console communication or on how valve makes it work.

the reason it appeals to me though is i could play with my buddies who have xboxs or ps3s where i have a computer. this also expands who you could run into as you play and allows a large audience on multiple consoles to play with and against each other.
thoughts and input_

#2 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 22 2011 - 11:10 AM

Playing against people across consoles would be awesome, though I don't know much about how console multiplyer is set up either. It would be great though if they figured out some sort of system to make this an option.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#3 KellAset

KellAset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 22 2011 - 11:50 AM

Front Mission Online and Lost Planet also have cross-platform multiplayer(pc-consoles).
With cross-platform multi we would not have that big issue with community, lack of players etc.
Nobody would have to ask questions like "which version pc/ps3/xbox360 has bigger online community_" because community would be one, it would not be divided between all platforms.

#4 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 09:46 PM

I'd be totally down with it, but, in the past they've needed to add aim assists for console users to be able to compete with PC users.  That I'm not down with.  Wouldn't mind it if they had an option to turn off aim assist, but even then, if it's already built into a game, I'm sure it's that much easier to hack.

#5 TMRNetShark

TMRNetShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 10:01 PM

I think if they used Steam, they could easily gap the bridge between PC and consoles since Steam is what connects PC and PS3 owners of Portal 2 right now.
"We use the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet per bullet!"

#6 Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 01:31 PM

I suppose they could set up servers which would allow all 3 systems (PS3, 360, PC) to connect, allowing cross platform matches.

Also the Steam Idea would be great.

#7 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 23 2011 - 02:19 PM

I would love it, but it has some hazards: As redvan said, aim assist. Also, a console player on a controller would have no chance against a PC player in a game that we see in the videos. To counter this the PC players need to be nerfed and that would stink.

Next is the UI, configurability, graphics etc, to be able to play cross platform these things need to be at the same level. Consolitis puts me off and it would pull me out of the game.

Then there is the problem with Microsoft and Sony, and their anal view on IP. I think it would be a hazzle getting the stuff together with, what I hope, a solid PC release..

#8 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 05:18 PM

If you look at many cross-platform (x-p) games lately, they've been made for console and ported to PC.  While it can be done right, generally the time is not taken to get it ready for PC.  Publishers want to put it out for console asap, and they "dont want to leave the PC crowd out", so they publish an unfinished game.

Please avoid this like the plague Adhesive :)

If they want to make it cross-platform (x-p), they should probably start with the PC version, because that'll be the most demanding version, then make the changes for a console version.

To allow cross-platform MP gaming, give the PC version a specific search feature to look for x-p MP hosts.  That way, the PC gamer can chose if they want to subject themselves to either the "PC nerf" or aim-assist.  However, the PC version should still be a full up PC version:  Dedicated servers, friends lists, etc...  example of what not to do:  Front Mission Evolved.  While I thought the gameplay was fun, finding games was terrible, you couldn't switch teams to play with friends, no chat... the list goes on.  That may be suitable for consolers, but, insta-burn in the PC world.

Optimally, there will be no "PC nerf" and no aim assist.  Just let the consolers decide if they want to allow PC players into their hosted games.  If they want to click that box that wont allow PC gamers, fine by me.

#9 MadMike

MadMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationWhere it snows and melts

Posted July 25 2012 - 07:23 PM

ya, people need to stop worrying about ports too much, if something can be cross platformed well then do it, if its too much trouble i dont think theres any shame in making a game dedicated to a console as long as theres a reason and it utilizes it fully
MadMike | Steam: (ask me!) | Wii U: madmikev2 | 3DS: 3823-8695-8435
SuperDuoBros. channel: http://www.youtube.c...uoBros/featured | UYA Gamers: http://steamcommunit...roups/uyagamers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users