HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Headset... Or Surround Sound_

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 10:07 AM

So a lot of good games seem to be rolling out in September. Namely, Battlefield 3 and Skryim. With that said, I want to get the best audio quality I can. So, should I buy some Astro's or get a beast ass surround sound_
I come from The Flood.

#2 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 22 2011 - 10:28 AM

Depends. What size screen are you playing on_ And is it just for your bedroom or family room_

#3 IV Lucidity

IV Lucidity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 05:03 PM

ApocalypeX said:

Depends. What size screen are you playing on_ And is it just for your bedroom or family room_
This is going to be for my bedroom and my TV screen is 32".
I come from The Flood.

#4 ApocalypeX

ApocalypeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 22 2011 - 06:08 PM

Surround sound then.

Headsets are really for when you're playing 20" screens.

#5 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 06:15 PM

I'm with ApocalypeX. Hawken comes off as a game that'll feel incredible with a sound-system packing some serious bass capabilities, and surround sound would definitely do it more justice. Plus, I don't think having the bass cranked up in a headset will feel very pleasant after awhile. But if you want to rock the Turtle Beaches so you'll be able to distinctly hear enemy movement from a mile away, more power to you.

#6 VenatioDecorus

VenatioDecorus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted April 22 2011 - 09:26 PM

The biggest advantage I find is when I use my headset is that my audio doesn't transmit over my mic. When I use my surround speakers I need to use push to talk most of the time, otherwise everyone bitches about hearing all my sounds.

#7 vesper1

vesper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 04:50 PM

Depends on who you live with. If the other people in your place are OK with 'gamer noise' (or your place is well padded), go for a phat audio system :) I love my headphones for making life easier for me and my significant otter.

Yes, I typed otter there, no typo ;-)
Recruiting to the Bad Luck XIII Hawken Clan - interested_ Send me a PM.
[almost there...] http://hawkenwiki.net/ (all hail Ashfire908)

#8 Dem

Dem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 07:33 PM

IV Lucidity said:

So a lot of good games seem to be rolling out in September. Namely, Battlefield 3 and Skryim.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.  You forgot something -.-

WHAR'S TEH MINECRAFTS!!!

Haha, but anyway, I prefer headsets myself because they pump the audio like directly into your earholes and it... sounds really good lol.

#9 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted April 27 2011 - 12:54 AM

VenatioDecorus said:

The biggest advantage I find is when I use my headset is that my audio doesn't transmit over my mic. When I use my surround speakers I need to use push to talk most of the time, otherwise everyone bitches about hearing all my sounds.
Yes, have kicked a lot of people off the Vent for this, very disturbing. Headset is standard, but it's nice with surround when not playing with a team.

#10 wyver1

wyver1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted April 27 2011 - 03:25 AM

I have both but it really depends on the game like say for games that I want to hear every totally every single sound such as a guy creeping up on me or a monster of some sort then its headset but saying that headset can hurt my ears after a while so I have to take them off so if I'm just piss farting around then I'll just your my speakers.

#11 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 08:34 AM

use a surround headset. I use the Tritton AX5.1 Pro comes with a mic. This is real 5.1 with multiple speakers in each headphone. There are a few companies out that make 5.1 and even 7.1 headsets.
gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 AMD 1090TG-Skills 1333 Ripjaw X 16gigSapphire 6970 2gigSamsung 2320 x3Steelseries Merc stealth Tritton AX 51 Procoolermaster storm inferno~ 5250gig SATA ,3TB SATA RAID 0 HD space and counting

#12 Rawkza

Rawkza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHawaii Five-O

Posted May 03 2011 - 09:26 AM

I like the option to use both worlds. Just gotta adjust sound settings accordingly. :)

#13 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted May 03 2011 - 12:00 PM

Headset, totally. You can hear the quieter noises a lot better, whether it's to hear the subtleties of the music, hearing the ambient sound clearly, or the guy sneaking up from behind you. Also I wear my Tritton 720 headset and it's really comfortable even after hours of use. And as it's been mentioned, you don't have the sound getting into your mic either, so a headset is a winner for me.

NAVY MARCOM said:

use a surround headset. I use the Tritton AX5.1 Pro comes with a mic. This is real 5.1 with multiple speakers in each headphone. There are a few companies out that make 5.1 and even 7.1 headsets.
The AX5.1 Pro is expensive, especially for only one person to use it at a time, so at that price range I'd end up just getting an actual surround sound setup.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#14 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted May 03 2011 - 12:22 PM

It might be a bit more but it's true 5.1 surround and you'd be hard pressed to find a 5.1 home theatre system for $150 that was actually of any quality. unless you've got a good base 5.1 system at home now then all you really need to do is tailor the speaker step to suit your needs..  but the very act of doing that will make mic work impossible
gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 AMD 1090TG-Skills 1333 Ripjaw X 16gigSapphire 6970 2gigSamsung 2320 x3Steelseries Merc stealth Tritton AX 51 Procoolermaster storm inferno~ 5250gig SATA ,3TB SATA RAID 0 HD space and counting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users